The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good stuff Unca , the good lord has blessed you with many talents , it’s an honor for me to have a glimpse into your world , thanks Amigo........I sure would like to visit Florida and have a beer and hooter with you...and if I got to meet your lovely wife unit , well that would just be incredibly awesome!...........

we have a small RV , can we park it on your front lawn?

C39EDFD2-2B81-4156-B962-55F4D3822963.jpeg

Morning....I'm with drifting.....let the madness begin! Hide the women and children in the cellar and keep a close eye out.

I still have a coffee table I made in shop class my Jr year in HS. It is in my living room. Over 50 years old. I loved making lamps and bowls on the lathe ..... table is the only thing left after all the years.

@walt...trimmers get $20/HR here that is why I do it myself.....even if u pay me!!!

Another nice day and I will take advantage.

I still have a coffee table I made in shop class my Jr year in HS. It is in my living room. Over 50 years old. I loved making lamps and bowls on the lathe ..... table is the only thing left after all the years.

My mom still holds the cutting board and bowl I made in 7th 7 8th grade shop class. Our teacher, no shit, was missing fingers.

Good day so far. Garden in under control, walked the dog and now time to walk the lake with Mrs Pute. Really enjoy our walks together. Until Covid she always went to the gym and I would walk alone. Now we get to continue our disagreements while we are walking.....spreads things out a bit.....just kidding. We really do enjoy the walks together. She will probably never return to the gym. Walking by the lake is a great way to reduce stress. I am and always have been drawn to water. It haunts me in a good kind of way. We are off.....

Me and my Wife try and walk a couple times a day. We actually get to talk a lot during our walk.
So do we. Felt so good after our talk/walk that I cut the grass and raked the remaining leaves (I hope). To nice out not to take advantage of such a nice day. Not a bit of wind at the lake. Water was as smooth as glass and the colors of fall are still lingering in spots. Fall is beautiful here this time of year. Only problem......this is coming.....

tenor.gif

Really not so bad when you think about it....I just hate the long winter nights.

Hey Unca At what age did you become serious about wood turning?
I wonder if I still have time to learn,
Ros --

I am self-taught. There are CD's out there to get you started. That's what I did. Found out how to make your wood-chisel razor sharp (amazingly simple and easy -- just lightly hold the blade on you fine grit grinding wheel until the sparks come over the lip of the blade. Done.

You start out simple: Make a wine glass. Then start adding layers to your stuff. If you look at this one, there are seven layers of different woods from the knob to the base. I used Gorilla Glue with clamps to make the stacked stuff. It never fails.

1604442297869.png

I bought the cheapest lathe I could find... bought mine from Rust and Bust about 12 years ago. Used it for ten years, and gave all my stuff away to a guy that wanted to try wood turning.

You can get a really nice one for $250 with free shipping:
1604441726705.png

good stuff Unca , the good lord has blessed you with many talents , it’s an honor for me to have a glimpse into your world , thanks Amigo........I sure would like to visit Florida and have a beer and hooter with you...and if I got to meet your lovely wife unit , well that would just be incredibly awesome!...........

we have a small RV , can we park it on your front lawn?

View attachment 265903
I would love for you to show up at Chateau Sneakydicker! I have a section of my place where visiting folks can park full-sized RV's, with electricity (an extension cord).

That is seriously amazing work. And no varnish too...? Wowzers. I could see purchasing some of those, won't let me wife see the thread though ;)
Ready for a jolt?

Like I demonstrated with my novels, I have absolutely NO ability to sell anything. I never even tried to sell any of my wood turned stuff.

I have perhaps 5% of all the things I have made... gave away the rest. Lotsa lamps, clocks, candlesticks, wooden tops, etc.

Last edited:
Ever watch the guys who turn Resin on YouTube
Nick Zemmeti is qite good
Ros -- Nah. Resin is no fun. Wood even smells good.

The second thing you should make after a little wineglass is a pencil barrel... they come out great, and make wonderful gifts.

There's one to the sorta right side of this kluge 2nd "row":

1604443286905.png

When you start to get froggy, you can make a nut-bowl out of a layered mix of hardwoods.

Last edited:
Ros -- Nah. Resin is no fun. Wood even smells good.

The second thing you should make after a little wineglass is a pencil barrel... they come out great, and make wonderful gifts.

There's one to the sorta right side of this kluge 2nd "row":

View attachment 265916

When you start to get froggy, you can make a nut-bowl out of a layered mix of hardwoods.
Where did you get the wood blanks
I have some nice trees (black Cherry) that have lots of burls, I know they need to age a long time so they are out for me

Latest posts

Back