The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gooode morning all! A lovely new rainy day in Paradise.
snoopy2.gif

Always wondered if all the rain y’all get out there causes depression. I know when it rains here for several days in a row my mind and body miss the sun.
A good point, as Oregon has a high suicide rate, though not as high as sunnier states like Arizona or for instance Oklahoma, where I grew up.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/suicide-rates-by-state
The point to remember there is that most of Oregon is arid and it is only the coast and valley that experience excessive rainfall. It is the arid parts of the state that may be responsible for us being only number 10 in the nation.

It doesn't affect me much anymore, but Grayfox grouses about the rain a lot, so it's clear it bothers her. She also takes vitamin D3 to offset the lack of sunshine.

What I like about the rain, is the vibrant green it produces, the freshly scrubbed air, and the snow at higher elevations keeps our reservoirs full of crystal clear snow melt for potable water.

A good point, as Oregon has a high suicide rate, though not as high as sunnier states like Arizona or for instance Oklahoma, where I grew up.

The point to remember there is that most of Oregon is arid and it is only the coast and valley that experience excessive rainfall. It is the arid parts of the state that may be responsible for us being only number 10 in the nation.

It doesn't affect me much anymore, but Grayfox grouses about the rain a lot, so it's clear it bothers her. She also takes vitamin D3 to offset the lack of sunshine.

What I like about the rain, is the vibrant green it produces, the freshly scrubbed air, and the snow at higher elevations keeps our reservoirs full of crystal clear snow melt for potable water.
I actually love it when it rains but just not for days in a row. We just had a good rain and wind that helped wash some of that pollen down making it a bit easier to breath as that is a big problem in this area and everyone I know takes antihistamines Y’all have some beautiful trees and flowers on the west coast and I’m sure the rain is part of that. So I know it has its good side. I think if I lived there I would get me one of those tanning beds to at least get some of the fake sun I give my plants.

You got me interested in Oregon suicide rate by part of state and was amazed to discover that although the highest and fourth highest are on the Oregon coast with heavy rainfall, the second, third, fifth, sixth, and seventh are on the east side of the cascades and arid. Here is a county map to compare the attached PDF of suicide rate by county to compare:
oregon-county-map1_0.gif

Attachments

• suicide rate by county.pdf
    512.4 KB · Views: 0
I am beginning to think that Ivan might become a casualty. More often than not. His mouth is salivating like a mastiff because he’s out eating toads and lizards. I’ve got a call into the vet, but I really don’t want Ivan to become a regular patron over there because of his antics…

I am beginning to think that Ivan might become a casualty. More often than not. His mouth is salivating like a mastiff because he’s out eating toads and lizards. I’ve got a call into the vet, but I really don’t want Ivan to become a regular patron over there because of his antics…
Boo If you have this type of toad you may want to bring your boy in.
I was reading and watching video just 2 nights ago when the women and kids went hunting for them at night so dogs would not ea.t them and die That caught a half of bucket 5gals
https://www.petmd.com/dog/poisoning/toad-venom-poisoning-in-dogs

The cane toad, also known as the bufo toad, is commonly associated with toxicity in dogs in Florida, Texas, Louisiana, and Hawaii. These toads are large—between 7 and 9 inches long. The Colorado River toad is found in California, New Mexico, Arizona, and Texas, and is slightly smaller, growing up to 7.5 inches long. These toads live only in specific areas in the United States. If your dog eats or licks any other species of toad, only minor symptoms are likely.

Dogs encounter toads more commonly during rainy seasons (March to September), when breeding occurs. Toads are more active after rainfall and during dawn, dusk, and nighttime.

The severity of toad toxicosis varies greatly, depending on how much toxin was ingested, but the condition is considered a medical emergency since it can progress quickly and can be fatal.

cane-toad

@boo

@boo can you flush Ivans mouth
Because this toxin is absorbed by the mucus membranes of the mouth, it is always advised to flush your dog’s mouth with lots of water very quickly before heading to the vet’s office, especially if they have begun to foam at the mouth or show any other clinical signs. Flushing the mouth can help remove some of the toxin that might not have been absorbed yet. It’s important to flush your dog’s mouth very carefully, as being too forceful can cause your dog harm. Your veterinarian will be able to direct you what to do, depending on the situation.

If your dog’s behavior is not normal, if they are disoriented or have collapsed, do not flush the mouth, as they might not be able to swallow properly, which can also cause aspiration pneumonia. Instead of flushing, you can use a wet washcloth to wipe the lips, cheeks, tongue, and gums. Make sure you rinse the towel well before repeating.

All dogs should see a vet after exposure to cane toad toxin, but those with neurological signs should be rushed to the nearest emergency facility immediately. Do not induce vomiting unless you are instructed to do so by your veterinarian or pet poison helpline, as often the risk outweighs the benefit. If your dog has ingested a toad and poisonous toads are not found in your area, you should still contact your veterinarian, though flushing out the mouth is usually sufficient to stop the drooling.

How Veterinarians Diagnose Toad Poisoning in Dogs​

Unfortunately, there is no diagnostic test to determine toad toxicity. The condition is generally diagnosed by a pet parent seeing a toad in or around their dog’s mouth; or knowing that toads are in their area. Because different toads produce different effects, if possible, take a picture of the toad to show your veterinarian for identification purposes.

Your veterinarian will perform a complete physical examination and run blood

I called and left a message for the vet who is now in surgery today about I am is salivating. I don’t see it affecting him other than his wet face and now legs and chest. I’ve never seen a buffo frog in Florida, but we do have toads, which may be toxic to Ivan. He’s constantly hunting for creatures, so I’m not sure how to deal with this, if the vet says bring him in and I guess that’s what I want to do… saying that Ivan has been a challenge to my sanity is an understatement

CANE Frogs are in Fl and will cause symptoms of what you are describing.

You may want to wipe and wash his mouth I would.

1. Completely wipe out your pet’s mouth with a clean rag.
  2. Wipe all the sticky poison off their gums, and teeth.
  3. Wash your pet’s mouth with a garden hose for 10 minutes. Keep their snout down so they do not ingest the water.
  4. Call a vet to obtain further assistance, they may need to induce vomiting.
As briefly mentioned at the beginning of this article, the first thing you should do is wash out your dog’s mouth and get as much of the toxins out before they have time to absorb through the mucous membranes or digestive tract.

Be sure to aim your dog’s mouth downwards when you rinse out their mouth to avoid them ingesting the water and swallowing any more toxins. Immediately call your vet and tell them what kind of frog your pet ingested while you are cleaning out your dog’s mouth if possible. This will give you tailored help while you simultaneously assist your pet.

If possible, retain a sample of the toad or frog to show your veterinarian. If the veterinarian knows what type of toad or frog your dog has been in contact with, they can make a more educated decision on how best to treat your dog for a better outcome. A veterinarian will be able to assist your pet one-on-one so be sure to consult for more help. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back