The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see dead toothbrushes
See the source image

Well ive got my left arm in a sling trying not to use it. We will see if i can get the muscles around it to take up the slack. Going to take some time though. Did a lot of research and Surgery is not always the answer. A very large percent of repairs to the rotor cuff will tear again especially if the muscles are not strengthened around it.
Cant pull my pants up using my left arm without pain. Guess my Wife will have to help.
And NO Hippie you cant do a sleep over you sick bastard so stop pming me.😁

I did what you are doing right now. Luv ya, but what I did/you are doing is called "denial". Plain and simple. Period.

I put my arm in a sling. Ha. Trying not to use it. Ha.

It got so bad, my arm dropped down about an inch. To quote the doctor:

"Walt, when I got in there, it looked like s-hit. The only things holding your arm on are blood vessels and your arm's outer skin."

In order to save my arm, they sawed off the top of my arm bone. Replaced the discarded rounded bone top with a teflon cup mounted in titanium with the titanium hammered deeply into the remainder my cut-off arm bone.

Then, they got power drill out <-- TINS!! And drove 5" lag bolts (see above)

Please, Weedy... stop the denial and go see a Bone & Joint doc. This is an important decision for you.

If you think you are tough and can take it, YOU may be tough enough, but your arm is NOT tough enough. If you have to have the shoulder reversal operation, you will be in recovery for a fargin YEAR.

If you get to the right people in time, you will have a brace put on that you will wear 24/7 for 7 weeks. That is the lightest, easiest, least hurtful option left to you right now.

Please lissen to your (almost) 8-decades old Unca, who has gone down both paths. I am serious. Clearly, in this one area, I know incredibly much more about this than you. (Over a year+ recovery experience).

The equivalent is me giving you advice on how to trip (?) a weed. No. FLIP a plant.

Last edited:
Beg to differ, but I guess it's just how much you tore 'em. Both of mine were 50% tears. After a couple of months, I started my own therapy. I'd get in a hot shower and spider walk my hand up the wall 'til I screamed. Always tried to get a quarter inch higher the next day. According to the docs, The right shoulder is around 95% back in action, and the left is 85% and socked full of arthritis, just like my spine.
Boo, I ripped that bicep muscle back in my working days. Worst part was having my 4 year old daughter come running to me and only be able to put my right arm around her and pull her half way up for a hug. Left arm was toast for close to six months. Still have a knot that gets to throbbin' every now and then, and that's 26 years after the incident.
Nice thing about it is my forked up spine puts out enough misery to cover up all the other stuff. Kinda like you don't hear the muffler draggin' if the wheel bearings are squealing loud enough.

Beg to differ, but I guess it's just how much you tore 'em. Both of mine were 50% tears.

But that is just it, bro -- a 50% tear meant that the tendon was now less than 50% in strength, and has a greatly reduced ability to not tear further.

But it gets incremental: Each time you "forget" and use that arm to where you can feel it, you have increased the percent of tear. I did exactly that.

Weedhopper -- read what he's been posting; working his butt off. <-- That ain't what you did, and that ain't therapy. And 50% would not require help with pants. That's probably what he had when he tore it further.

Yeah after doing a ton of reading and talking to some friends im going to take it easy for awhile,, use a sling when i can and do therapy to build up the muscle around the tear.
Im in pretty good shape so we will see what happens.
Thanks Walt and Hippie for your response's.
PS. I dont have to do the construction and labor i use to do. I am a superintendent so i have the ability to not push my luck lifting and such. I can pull my pants up with my left but its a little painful. I can actually reach over my head and it doesn't hurt very much. Moving it out to the side is the hardest thing to do.
Hell i been picking up my grandkids. I just have to chill and not do more damage.
If it gets worse,,then i will go in for surgery.

Last edited:
Yeah after doing a ton of reading and talking to some friends im going to take it easy for awhile,, use a sling when i can and do therapy to build up the muscle around the tear.
Im in pretty good shape so we will see what happens.
Thanks Walt snd Hippie for your response's.
OK. You've done a ton or reading and talking and getting world-class level advice from yer Unca... but why not do one tweeny bintsy thing:

Just visit a PROFESSIONAL. Just one measly visit.

I will if it doesn't get better Walt,,i promise.
Thank you bro.
After open heart surgery,, surgery to my shoulder damn sure doesn't scare me. Just don't like being cut on if its not absolutely necessary. If Hippies old ass can live with it,,i damn sure can.😜

Last edited:
It gets better, but it'll never be right. If you can get your arm above your head, it ain't that bad. I couldn't even get my elbow to the center of my chest. Still feel it when I use it, but it's not the leg wetting pain it originally was.

We all have our war stories about injuries at our age. I broke my ankle, tore both tendons and ligaments playing basketball. I did it bad to!!! But that was back in the day when I was 10 ft tall and bullet proof with a big case of stupidity. After 3 weeks in my cast that was supposed to be on 6, my brother asked me to go quail hunting with him. So, I got the tin snips out and cut the cast off thinking it had been on long enough. Took a pain pill the next day and went with him......WRONG!!! Come monday I went crawling back to the orthopedists. He was pissed and said the ankle wouldn't be right for a long time now. He was right. One of the dumbest things I have ever done. Took years before it was totally right again.

Always wanted to try this as well.

funny-pictures-when-i-was-young.jpg

Thats what men do. Push the freaking envelope as far as they can,,and then wish they hadn't. 😁
Had a bad motorcycle wreck when i was 17,, broke my knee in 14 places. Got run over on my Harley several yrs ago by a freaking Baptist Preacher in an old Catty. Got shot with a 357 in 2005,,had a Colostomy for 5months before they took it off and put me back together. Open Heart Surgery in 2013 and a stent last yr. Other then that,no problems. Oh and according to the Doctors and what they told my Wife. They lost my me twice on the table after i got shot and once during the open heart surgery.
Never seen no damn light either,,except for those bright ass lights they use to operate.😜

Broke a bone in the top of my left foot. Hurt so damn bad I had tears in my eyes. Went to the clinic, doc says it's broke, and tapes my little toe and the next one together. No cast. Tells me to stay off of it for awhile and then take it easy. I asked how long. He said, "You'll know". He wasn't lying. A month later I was walking on it and it felt like I'd broke it all over again.

Side note: The Old Hen told the doc that it was a good thing it was my left foot. He asked why. She replied, "Because he's right handed." The look on the doc's face was worth all the pain, almost.

Had to bite the bullet and replace the guts of the toilet. Leaking float valve and would flood the reservoir and run on to the floor overnight. Didn't go well.....

tenor.gif

Holly crap....I called 911 but they said due to defunding they couldn't come for a week

tenor.gif

Think I will just sit here and drink.

Oh I am so sorry !!!

I tore both rotator cuffs a few years back. Had a heck of a time washing my hair. One of the worst pains I've ever been in. 100 times worse than getting Little Hippie caught in my zipper.

Tough learning how to utilize your left hand. especially with weed's touth brush !!!!

Latest posts

Back