The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say tuned.

giphy.gif

Brings back memories when i was a little boy.

View attachment 290237
Right down the street from my Grandmother's house in Mayfield Kentucky was Frances's market, same sort of place. I can still see the Bunny Bread advertising that was somehow put on the screen of the big screen front door. Had bell on it when door opened. The pop machine was one of those you opened from the top, like a cooler. You put the coins in and threaded the bottle through the pattern until it came out.

Bubba

Last edited:
Reminds me of a little store down in Kennett. I might have been around 7or 8. I walked in, looking for a bottle of Coke. Didn't have the kind of coolers they had in Yankeeland, so I asked the owner, "Where's your pop located?"
He looked at me and said, "Sorry sonny, but we can't sell firecrackers in the city limits."
I said, "No sir, I'm looking for a cold Coke."
He busted out laughing and said, "Oh! A sodie! They're in that little red cooler over there."
Guess it was a cultural thing. Soda pop in MO is called "sodie". Still tasted good.
Yup. Differences: "Soda" this is a combination of "pop" (which is the same as "soda pop") and ice cream. Soda pop of course becomes "sodie pop." If you go further south, (of mason Dixon line) you just want an RC cola and a Moonpie.

Bubba

Yup. Differences: "Soda" this is a combination of "pop" (which is the same as "soda pop") and ice cream. Soda pop of course becomes "sodie pop." If you go further south, (of mason Dixon line) you just want an RC cola and a Moonpie.

Bubba
Drank a lot of RC when Coke changed its recipe, which got changed back rather quickly. Always tasted half way between Coke and (yuck) Pepsi.

I could drink paddy water quicker than I could drink Dr. Pepper.

The pop machine was one of those you opened from the top, like a cooler. You put the coins in and threaded the bottle through the pattern until it came out.

Bubba
Yep, that's the one. Never saw one like it up north. It was either the big old stand up machines out doors or the glass door coolers like you see today.

Latest posts

Back