transplanting from 3gallon pots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 1, 3 and 5 gallon round nursery pots for years, then moved over to grow 1 and 3 gallon grow bags. Grow bags were cool because you could cram more of them together in less space when the plants are babies, and not splash the floor so much during watering. But grow bags are a pain in the rump to carry/move (more so for 5 gal and bigger) and a little messy to wash & dry for re-use. I don't like throwing stuff away and wanted something more permanent.

Found these square white 4 gallon plastic food buckets and never looked back. Drilled 5-6 holes in the bottom of each. They have a hand bail for easier carrying (full grow bags suck to carry!) and they fit together perfectly. They measure 9.5" (24 cm) square by 13" (33cm) tall and cost about $5 per bucket. Easy to clean & sterilize, easy to stack together when empty, fit nicely in bottom-feed plastic saucers. They offer them at most of the online big plastics companies.

I know some folks say that white inside is not good for roots but luckily none of my plants has heard that. Felt that 4 gallon was perfect for 4 month cycles.

Mutt said:
jeez man, that can't be an easy task xplanting a 5gallon rootball. quote]

Break-away buckets, dad--patent pending.

The odd photo is a never-ending game called around here refered to as: "45 pound blue tick attacks 85 pound doberainer."

P1010008.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010015.JPG

Dangit Pencil, I forgot to sign my rep to you, but AWESOME breakaway bucket!!!!

I said I doubted I'd go smaller....I may very well stick with 5gals, transplanting from 1gals. If harvest amount last night comes in as I hope, I will be doing this very soon! With the ability to grow 24 plants, I can grow more plants smaller which means less grow time and less chance of problems!

PencilHead said:
Mutt said:
jeez man, that can't be an easy task xplanting a 5gallon rootball. quote]

Break-away buckets, dad--patent pending.

The odd photo is a never-ending game called around here refered to as: "45 pound blue tick attacks 85 pound doberainer."

that is an awesome idea, not for me because i use slightly smaller pots, but an awesome idea for those in need of tranplanting large pots.

Latest posts

Back