Trimming fan leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheStickyIcky

Fear and Loathing.
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about trimming fan leaves to get more light to lower bud sites? Never done it before. I have grown outdoors for years but I'm new to indoor growing. I do realize that hormones play the biggest role in budding but I'm just not use to bud sites being shaded. Any advantages? Definitely don't want to get in the way of photosynthesis. Lol.

No advantages, lots of disadvantages. While there is nothing wrong with trimming off the bottom part of the plant that gets little light, removing fan leaves is self-defeating. Fan leaves are where photosynthesis takes place and nutrients and light are turned into good things. Do not remove fan leaves.

KingTut144 said:
can you clone from fan leaves?

No...you need a branch with some area for growth. No growth site no growth.

HUm,,never tried that. I wouldnt think it would work,, but as I said,,I never tried. Good Question.

Good answers. I've known people that did it, outdoors even. But I've always thought the same thing. Self defeating. You need them to convert light and nutrients into growth.

If you'd like more opinions on the topic of trimming fan leaves do a search on MP or Google it. It's one of the most frequently asked questions on every marijuana forum and opinions vary. I think its strain dependent as sativa leaning strains tend to have wider spaced nodes and more of an open canopy and indicas can get extremely dense with leaves. I try to tuck some of the leaves shading buds but I do tend to pluck off a few fans that shade the inner portions of branches. I dont typically mess with the fans on the periphery of the plant. Do some experimenting if you'd like... It's your garden! ;)

Happy Growing~!:bong:

Trimming off the fan leaves is generally not a good idea. I say that because I tried it on one of my Wonder Woman and left the others be, as an experiment to see once and for all for myself what would happen. The one with the trimmed fan leaves did much worse than the ones left alone. That settled it for me.

Just my 2 cents worth

Hamster Lewis said:
No...you need a branch with some area for growth. No growth site no growth.

i'm experimenting with cloning some fan leaves right now actually... they seem to be doing okay, but haven't seen any additional growth or anything... do you think they will stay 'dormant' in the fan leave stage forever or will they just eventually come to terms with the fact that they're fan leaves and just die off?

have you tried it before?

You cannot clone a fan leaf--this is an exercise in futility. You need a growing tip to clone. It will die eventually.

No reason too but it does grow roots. Will it live I don't know. I know this because I have had a small sized leaf fall into spilled clonex and forgotten about until a stoned friends mind was blown when he found it. Sure enough roots out of the part of leaf soaked in the spill. The stem an part of the side of the leaf, a small cluster of white roots. They held it to the floor a little. We threw it away but it was weird looking. I really doubt that it could have been planted and survived for any signifigant length of time. Everyone else is right though It sure as hell wouldn't grow without a growth point. Part of me wants it to work and the leaf gets bigger. Just a half buried leaf in a pot haha

Latest posts

Back