We Interupt this Message for Deer Season!.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dude i hate to be the bearer of bad news but you cant really find a good bow for that price...hunting is not a cheap hobby...my bow is a matthews switchback xt...its my favorite one that ive ever shot

Hit the pawn shops might find an alright "darton". but dutchmaster is right. Might find a starter Bear cheap but will end up tickin ya off.
At least get a merc stabilizer and set the draw light till ya get the hang of it.

I appreciate the replies....I guess just like I spent $500 and more on the garden....I guess I'll shell out a few more hundred at tax time prolly.

Thanks again....
I've had my eye on something called a Diamond Triumph I got a chance to shot that a friend owns....seemed pretty sweet to me....Ive just never spent over $500 on sporting equipment.....
Hell I looked at his first Bow ...a Diamond Victory $700 plus :confused2:

...:::then again those Penn reels I fish with aren't exactly cheap.:bong:​

if so you can find a descent 1 for $300 in my area if you havent bowhunted in a while i would start out with a second hand compound and mutt is right you can find good ones at pawn shops atleast in my area where alot of people go broke into hunting season then christmas comes around and they saw holy crap no money for the old lady a present and away they go to the pawnshop exspress.

skunk said:
you cant use a crossbow?

you'd be suprised the wierd crap ya see from state to state. It's legal to bait deer in mine, but in Pa its yer ***. crossbow here not in Pa. Its obsurd.

no cross bows here but...... a well tuned mathews kicks butt even if ya blind in one eye like me hehe

2500 for my big game rifle here..... it's not cheap to hunt :(

thats ridiculouse, i can go to walmart right now and buy a 30-6 for $450. and as for baiting were not aloud to do it in ohio either but aloud to use crossbows pennsylvania no need to even think about baiting as many deer in that state . may i add to be small deer but in abundance . here in ohio we have some of the highest weighing whitetail deer and also the biggest racks which i wouldnt give up for anything to hunt elsewheres for whitetailed deer.

Ne1 ever ran across a albino deer. I have i dont hunt just stay way in country were ur next door neighbor avg. a mile or more away.

skunk said:
ohio we have some of the highest weighing whitetail deer and also the biggest racks which i wouldnt give up for anything to hunt elsewheres for whitetailed deer.

I see a pissin contest a comin.....:p
Nuthin but love bro skunk...:)

Sometimes the right kind of thing happens to the right kind of person. November 8, 2001 one of those things happened to Mike Beatty of Xenia. That was the day he shot a huge non-typical whitetail buck that has been scored by the Buckeye Big Buck Club at 304 6/8, making it the biggest non-typical buck ever killed by a hunter.

Mike Beatty is 31 years old, a devoted husband and father of two; a working man who just happens to be an avid bowhunter. Today his name is known all over the country, and he spends many of his weekends speaking about bowhunting and exhibiting the antlers of the record-book buck.

His adventure began while bowhunting near his southwestern Ohio hometown. It was an afternoon hunt and Mike knew the timing was good and the bucks should be moving. "I still can't believe it. I saw a few does on the way in to my stand, so once I was in I started using a bleat call and rattling antlers, " said Mike. At one point a buck came to within 15 yards but wasn't in a good position for a shot. That buck left the area and Mike began grunting and calling again, hoping to lure him back. "About five minutes later, a different buck came in -- it was him," Mike said.

Tracking the buck was difficult and Mike had to give it up until the next morning. He worried all night that he wouldn't be able to find the deer and hated the idea that it might be wounded but not recovered. At first light the next morning, he and his (then) nine-year old son Andrew, headed out to get back on the trail. It had rained during the night and Mike was really worried.

"We kept moving along, watching each way. I was so intent on tracking that at first I didn't realize why Andrew was tugging on my shirt tail. It finally sunk in as Andrew repeated --there he is."

Mike's life has been pretty exciting since that day. It was obvious that his buck was phenomenal but even Mike didn't realize just how well the deer would score after the required 60-day drying period. First to do a preliminary scoring on the antlers was Ron Perrine, Sr. of Xenia. Perrine is an official scorer for the Buckeye Big Buck Club, Boone and Crockett Club, and Pope and Young Club. Perrine said he green scored the antlers very conservatively because he knew he was dealing with a world class animal and didn't want Beatty to be disappointed later when the official scoring was done. Even so, Perrine said the antlers would score a minimum of 291 3/8.

Butch Todd, scoring supervisor for the Buckeye Big Buck Club, organized a panel of four judges, including Perrine, to measure the antlers after the drying time was completed. At the end of the session, Beatty's buck came away with the score of 304 6/8. Beatty's delight was obvious. "It's just unbelievable, a buck like this so close to home. You'll never convince me that there's better deer hunting anywhere than here in Ohio," he said.

The score sheet produced by the panel is official with the Buckeye Big Buck Club, and has been submitted to the Boone and Crockett Club for future inclusion. Currently, only two non-typical bucks in the United States score higher than Beatty's buck. Number One is called the "Missouri Monarch" and scores 333 7/8. It was found dead near St. Louis in 1981. Number two is Ohio's "Hole-In-The-Horn" at 328 2/8, found dead by a railroad track near Ravenna in 1940. Beatty's buck should end up listed as number three in the record books, but is the largest non-typical ever taken by a hunter.

Asked if November 8 was the most exciting hunt of his life, the somewhat shy family man replied with a smile, "Not quite, the most exciting day so far was during Ohio's gun season last year, when Andrew got his first deer -- a three-pointer." It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
www.mikebeattybuck.com to see the pics.

ps to answer johny appleseeds ? i myself have saw 4 here in ohio in the last 30 years of hunting in the wild . however have saw many more on deer farms in my state . and the owners of thefarm say its from inbreeding.

The Fulton buck Killed by Tommy Fulton In Mississippi Who is a friend of mine`s Brother Scored Higher In Buckmaster scoring and was the number 1 buck untill The beaty buck Scored higher in Boone & Crocket. The Fulton buck scores around 295. Miss. Is becoming a trophy hunters paridise also. There was a huge ice storm in 94 that striped the woods compleetly the only thing left was just the tree trunks. The limbs were so deep (over you head) that it was ten years before you could walk through them . That along with the replanting of the land because its not profitable to farm any more and they are paying land owners 75$ an acre per year for ten years to plant it back in trees. All the new undergroth for the deer are really boosting the antler size. There are a lot of deer scoring in the 150 to 170 class.

Looks like all the outside growers are looking for something to talk about during the off season. Spring will be here before we think and if it stays like the temps are the ground won`t take as long to warm up so planting might come early for those who like to get a good start. The sun is so hot in june and july in the south if you dont get them out early so they can grow enough to put down a good root system they won`t grow during the summer. Not like they do if planted early. Happy growing newyear everyone Slim

thats not true long time growing . maybe ones thats were shot yes , but they found dead ones in ohio in the past years that has scores of 328 and 336and 1 eighth one of them is the barnicle buck with 128 points scoreable points and plenty left over. as a matter of fact i looked up the fulton buck through boone and crocket and read about it and at the bottom of the same page it talks about the ohio bucks found plus the 333 they found in missouri in 1952. im not tryin to dog ms or nothin i lived there for 5 years with my wife well ok i am the hunting down south of it sucks. hot sweaty humid n nasty couldnt even find a decent place to sneak up on them without someone running there darn dogs after them with there cheating butts. no offence to you longtime grower and congrads to your friend just have badd memorys of ms and huntin. it may be better a little farther up north but down south of it makes veteran hunters like myself wanna retire the sport.

..:eek: "DEER" with DOGS!!!...
man, I got a coonhound..oops, lion hound..oops..."Deer hound" you should try!...:p

i do with rabbitts , but id rather quietly sneak up on deer while bedding down . to me thats fair game and more memorable. exspecially when your with the kids. hick if you think im showing too much just delete the pics .ps i dont think i would hunt a carnivore without a dog but deer wont bite you either.

tank and dogs 104.jpg

peggy and pearl.jpg

tank and dogs 106.jpg

you may wanna delete my boys pics. i forgot about all the computer geeks working for leo.

WoooooohoooooQ skunk! "Sart 'em young"!! hell yea!
good lookin' kids, nice bucks...

thanks buddy, my oldest which is 12 he shot 5 deer last year, but im just tired of doin the dirty work for em and told them no more deer huntin unless they have the stomach to do the guttin thereselves. have you tryed rabbitt huntin with beagles? the rabbitt will always run a circle and come back to where you or the dogs jump it unless it decides to hide up between some rocks or a hole.when i lived down down hell you could kick em up and shootem on the run , around here you ussually jump them in thickett where you cant see 2 feet in front of your face. and only know it when the dogs git at it .

ps ive been coon huntin didnt like it too much when the dogs decided to run me on top of the truck lol. but would like to know a little bit more on how to lion hunt with dogs. do they tree them like bears and coons?

Latest posts

Back