What if - Yellowing Bud leaves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omnigr33n

I'm a damn monkey.
Reaction score
What if I am in my 5th week of flowering with about 3-4 more weeks of flowering left under a 400w hps.

What if suddenly there is no more fan leaves to go yellow and die? What if the plant starts eating itself and the yellow encroaches on the buds before flowering cycle ends? What to do?

When the bud goes amber that is the time. All else is merely incidental.

Hey thanks for your response. However, I wasn't talking about the trichomes. I am talking about the foliage.

I've been doing research and I think if worst comes to worst I'll have to transplant to a bigger pot. It is in a 1 gallon right now, lst'ed and all. Perhaps its rootbound.

prob...does the pot have holes on bottom do u see roots coming out?

2Dog said:
prob...does the pot have holes on bottom do u see roots coming out?

No roots coming out yet. Its probably the gallon container size. I dont think its enough. I veg for like 6 weeks and flower whatever is needed. I have had some good grows in the past with one gallons. I think I may need to start flower sooner if I use a gallon container. Perhaps vegging for 4 weeks.

I would think a one gallon pot would be to small but of course that all depends on how big your plant is. Before you do your next watering I would flip the plant upside down and slide the pot off and see if the walls are lined with roots just to be sure.

PeterPotatoes said:
I would think a one gallon pot would be to small but of course that all depends on how big your plant is. Before you do your next watering I would flip the plant upside down and slide the pot off and see if the walls are lined with roots just to be sure.

That's not a bad idea. I'll have to let it dry out good though.

i've had early yellowing many times.... got a WW doing it as i type.... i usually just up the nitrogen slightly for a feed or 2 and they seem to green back up within a few days.... i haven't had 1 that all the fan leaves had fallen of that early though.... all i can think of at the moment is apply this lesson learned to your next grow and up the dosage a bit....

what nutes you using and what are your ratios. my guess is not enough nutes or to much and your locked out.what is your feeding regime? also do you have a couple pics? check your run off ph too

dr pyro said:
what nutes you using and what are your ratios. my guess is not enough nutes or to much and your locked out.what is your feeding regime? also do you have a couple pics? check your run off ph too

I used 10-54-10 Schultz nutes at like 1/4 strength every other watering or so. I use tap water which I let settle for 24 hours. I know pH isnt an issue because this has been thoroughly checked in the past. I think I might need to transplant.

I'll try and get pics, but basically its in week 5 flower and all the older fan leaves are yellow and dying. It is moving upwards and eventually inwards to the buds themselves. I am thinking with this strain I have another 5 weeks or so maybe it will still help with yield and my problems if I just transplant.

that shultz stuff is garbage IME man.
it sounds like you need more nitrogen, but i'm betting once we see pictures it'll be evident that they're scortched.

maybe i'm wrong, but it burnt my crop up good one year. (you've been using it the whole time with no problems up untill now though eh?)

wow ditch those nutes get something intended for mj. the reason i ask ph your nutes are gonna drop the ph considerably. soil grow you need 6.5. what is your runoff ph. i would flush the crap out of them then start with a good nute base like ff. i used there products with no issues

o get a good ph meter if you dont have one.i have had problems in past actually alot. my 2 biggest factors where tap water being hard so i went with ro unit. the second was a ph pen was crap one of those 20.00 milwakees. since i got my ro and new ph testers i have had no issues. keeping the correct ph and following a proven nute regime is the best advice i can give. if your ph is inline and your not overfeeding/underfeeding you should have no problems. there is a thread on here somewhwere where people have nute brands and the ways you can work them.if i can find it i'll post it

kaotik said:
that shultz stuff is garbage IME man.
it sounds like you need more nitrogen, but i'm betting once we see pictures it'll be evident that they're scortched.

maybe i'm wrong, but it burnt my crop up good one year. (you've been using it the whole time with no problems up untill now though eh?)

Well, I am aware that it is chemical harshness. It says to put 1/4 a teaspoon per quart, so I put half of that which is 1/16 on average. I feed them twice and then go clean water and so on. I don't think it is nute burn. When the plant starts to flower we see a gradual yellowing of the fan leaves upwards. I believe this is because the plant is taking the nutrients from the leaves to help form the buds. In fact, I don't think I feed them enough in fear of burning them. The only problem I have seen with my grows is that the fan leaves start to yellow too early. I use MG soil as well which only has added to my hesitancy in using nutrients too often.

Now if this process were compounded, into flowering, with an already existing nitrogen deficient plant then one can imagine what is going to happen. The plant will continue to 'yellow up' so to speak and eventually start eating up its buds as well until maturation is complete. I have had a plant in the past which have had dead bud leaves, but the trichomes were ok! It was interesting to see dead leaf matter with crystals on them. I suppose in that case I was able harvest just in time before the trichomes themselves were messed up or degraded.

I pulled the plant out of the pot to see if the roots had grown around the dirt ball. It didn't look like it. However, I still transplanted the plant into a bigger container and watered it because it was thirsty. I am probably going to lay off the nutes for a week and see what happens.

I don't expect the yellowing to recede because it is in flower, but I am hoping for increased bud growth and decreased yellowing. I just started seeing trichs a day ago and it is in its 5th week of flowering. I am thinking it is going to be another 4-5 weeks before harvest.

Hey 33n........my Money Is On A Nitro Def. I'm Currantly Dealing With The Same Thing. I Gave My Ladies Some Organa Add And My Babies Are Starting To Green Up Again Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back