What should my exspectations be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Flyinghigh
I checked that site out and that might be the way to go next season when I have a bit of a budget built back up. That will be something I will try.

Cheers!!!

Yep
Thanks brouli and emuman!
I will do what i can with what i got thats a given.
I did quite well with my hobbo set up last year as you can see up top and that was my first try at growing my own. I think I may just work some magic into this upgrade like i did with what I had last year. I will do just fine i know that. I guess my main reason for this thread was to see who had an opinion about what to expect with the 400w mh light and if the resaults would be better then what you see in the pics from my hobbo grow. I guess i was also looking to see who would pipe up and say thats what they use and are happy or unhappy with that light.

Cheers!!!

Just look up conversion bulb for either HPS or MH systems and you'll find all kinds.

But if your thinking about buying another system then make sure it is Switchable from MH to HPS.. That what I am Buying Next 1000 watt Switchable ballast..

Yes next season i will look into this conversion bulbs when the budget allows it.

cheers!!!

remember dd your running a 400w with less lumens as aposes to a 400w hps.. the heat and lumens make the MH less efficent then the hps..
hps is better bang for your buck..
IMO....
done it all but T5's.. and i like the hps for veg...
LH

Ok let me ask this question then

what are the lumens produced buy 2 100w hps lights?

what are the lumens produced buy 1 400w mh light?

This will answer my question, are there more lumens given from my 1 400 w mh lamp as opposed to the 2 100w hps lights?

Cheers!!!

DD, don't know the lumens on a 100w (I'd guess about 10,000 though) but your MH 400w should be ringing in at about 36,000 as opposed to the HPS which would deliver about 50,000lumens.

Answer: Hell yeah, you'll get more lumens and growth response from your 400w. The conversion bulbs are quite expensive--like a 400w HPS would run you around a c-note--and will cost you some lumens and wattage due to the conversion. With the conversion bulb, you'd be at around 350 watts and around 45,000 lumens. Keep the faith--spectrum is important but not as important as those precious lumens.

degenerative_disc said:
Ok let me ask this question then

what are the lumens produced buy 2 100w hps lights?

what are the lumens produced buy 1 400w mh light?

This will answer my question, are there more lumens given from my 1 400 w mh lamp as opposed to the 2 100w hps lights?

Cheers!!!
100 watt hps = 9,500 x 2 = 19,000 lumens
400 watt mh = 35,000 lumens

your 400 watt mh puts out 16,000 more lumens

Ok thanks pencil so what I got from your response is my

2 100w hps are pumping out approx 20 000 lumens and me
1 400w mh upgrade will pump out approx 36 000 lumens

so this = approx 16 000 lumens more with the upgrade I have done!

More lumens means more budd thats one thing I know from this site.

so

this has answered my questions I have improved my grow area with approx 16 000 extra lumens which means more budd for me on the outcome. So this season will be better then last as long as i can do as well with my luck as i did last year.

Thanks to all and

Cheers!!!!

emuman said:
100 watt hps = 9,500 x 2 = 19,000 lumens
400 watt mh = 35,000 lumens

your 400 watt mh puts out 16,000 more lumens

400w HPS puts out 50,000-55,000 lumens thats what im saying ...
400w MH puts out 35,000 lumens.. theres a huge difference man..
loose the 100w lights or use them to hold mothers.. i use a 70w hps to light my mother and its cheaper then a bunch of cfls plus alot cooler.. thats the argument there... 400whps vs 400w MH.. hps wins over all my friend...
LH

As devil's advocate for what Lefthand is saying, you'll see a definite difference if you decide to go from the MH to HPS for flower. Less stretch, tighter buds. But that's next years project, right?

And we all shine on...

LH...I understand what you are saying, but I think what DD is trying to say is this is what he has to work with...so the 400 mh is better than the 2 100w but not as good as a 400hps.

Doesn't sound like the HPS is in the picture...so go with the 400 mh it will treat you better than your last grow, then maybe next year buy the conversion bulb. I'd like 3 600w hps in my grow, and it would be better...but I don't and can't afford it...so I work with what I have.

Good Luck on the grow man!

I use T5s for vegging, in part, because they actually provide more lumens per watt than a MH...and with far less heat.

A 400W MH=36000 lumens=90 lumens per watt
a 54W T5 tube=5000 lumens=92.6 lumens per watt.

I just can't help myself.......What should you expect?......The unexpected of course.;)

Just to give you some more input.....
I run a switchable 400 and use mh for veg and a sun agro hps for flower. The hps bulb has more blue in the spectrum and I like the results. You should definitely see a increase in yield going to the 400. I would add one or two of your hps bulbs to the mix to help add some red into spectrum.

Sure I would luv a bigger room and a couple of 1000w, but I make due with what i have. If you get your room dialed in you can get some great results with what you have. Not bragging but I got 19oz out of two plants with my 400. My current grow netted 350g with three plants. A lot has to do with the strain your growing too, as some will just produce more than others under the same light.
Good luck with your new setup, hope you can hit the gram a watt club

Thanks

Well Michigandude i have a shed and its my "work" shed were dad goes to get away and build bird houses, yep thats right bird houses! Everyone knows thats dadys sanctuary and when i go there It dads time to be alone. I goe in there tend to my girls run my saw every now and then bang a hammer and every now and then I emerge with a bird house I have put together and give it away.

and to justanothermarchingant
well I would like to add my hps to the rig but I need to watch just how much I add to the energy bill as I dont have alot of cash being out of work and I want to remain as small of a blip on the energy radar not to draw any heat if you know what I mean.

Cheers!!!

Latest posts

Back