What should my exspectations be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
degenerative_disc said:
Thanks

Well Michigandude i have a shed and its my "work" shed were dad goes to get away and build bird houses, yep thats right bird houses! Everyone knows thats dadys sanctuary and when i go there It dads time to be alone. I goe in there tend to my girls run my saw every now and then bang a hammer and every now and then I emerge with a bird house I have put together and give it away.

and to justanothermarchingant
well I would like to add my hps to the rig but I need to watch just how much I add to the energy bill as I dont have alot of cash being out of work and I want to remain as small of a blip on the energy radar not to draw any heat if you know what I mean.

Cheers!!!

Get a recording of guys building birdhouses and crank it up. The wife won't know, the neighbors will think you're the Albert Switzer of free birdhouses, and the kids... Well, sorry to disappoint, but the kids will know--they know everything.

For years I went out to the "shed" for (winky, winky) solitude. Years later one of the little buggers says something about me going out to the shed to burn herb, so then they all piled on and laughed at my naivete. The boy even knew where I hid my back-up piece, a P-38, that the wife didn't even know about.:eek:

Thats to funny Pencil LMAO!

Well if thats the case I hope my kid dosent find my walther ppk cause I keep mine loaded!

Once again to funny!

Cheers!!!

degenerative_disc said:
Thanks

Well Michigandude i have a shed and its my "work" shed were dad goes to get away and build bird houses, yep thats right bird houses! Everyone knows thats dadys sanctuary and when i go there It dads time to be alone. I goe in there tend to my girls run my saw every now and then bang a hammer and every now and then I emerge with a bird house I have put together and give it away.

and to justanothermarchingant
well I would like to add my hps to the rig but I need to watch just how much I add to the energy bill as I dont have alot of cash being out of work and I want to remain as small of a blip on the energy radar not to draw any heat if you know what I mean.

Cheers!!!

that is sooo cute...you sneaky man....birdhouses...:D :hubba: :holysheep: ;)

D, the only thing not loaded around my house is me before 3:00pm.

Yep 2dogs what ever suits my needs in my shed :)
Sometimes birdhouses sometimes spoon rack, maybe even home made rolling pins whatever it takes to make people think I am out there creating things other then my fine erbs ;)

Cheers!!!!

DD if i do the math correct a 400w x 12hrs = 4800 watts per day... so basically 5Kwatts... in my area 1 Kw is around $0.13 so thats around $0.52 a day in power... around $15-$20 a month...

if you use the 400w + 2(100w) x 12hrs = 7200 watts per day... So basically 7 Kw per day... Thats about $0.94 a day... so with fans and everything else probably about $35-$40 a month...

Now im not sure if you run heaters, or anything else in your grow, but they use alot of power...

IMO if you can swing the extra $20 a month the end results will def show... The mh will def grow you bud but its not really the right spectrum... but by adding the hps to the mh your gonna have a great mixed spectrum with alot of blue light... from what ive read the blue spectum aids in resin production...

degenerative_disc said:
...well I would like to add my hps to the rig but I need to watch just how much I add to the energy bill as I dont have alot of cash being out of work and I want to remain as small of a blip on the energy radar not to draw any heat if you know what I mean.

Cheers!!!

Do not worry about the heat--it is insignificant. If you change your regular household bulbs out to CFLs (cheap at the HD), you could run those 2 100W HPS and maybe even see a drop in your electricity usage. There are a lot of little things we can do every day to save on the electricity bill. Your girls would really love that 200W of HPS in there with the 400W of MH.

Ok you guys are starting to sell me on the idea now.

so if I run the 400w mh light and I also put my 2 100w hps lights in there too and because its still cold out I have a ceramic heater keeping room at a constant 75-80 and my fan blowing a gentle breeze with all this running how much will all this add to my hydro bill? Any kwh math wiz here can give me an idea on how much a month and maybe i will look at it.

Cheers!!!

I dontrun hydro but its easy to figure it out...

I use an areoponic clone bucket and the pump is a 10 watt pump x 24 hrs a day = 240 watts so .24Kw a day for my pump... about $0.04 a day

1000watts = 1Kw

So find out how many watts your pump is and multiply by hrs of use... then divide that number of watts by 1000... thats you Kw use per day...

straight up goods, DG...

you got nothing to worry about... fire up as much light on the plants as you can... and especially add the hps lites to the setup during flower...

light energy is cumulative... meaning, every little bit you add, irregardless if it's a small bulb to a large one, or vice-versa... it all adds up cumulatively...

...and as long as you pay your electrical bills on time, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to worry about... i'm an electricain, trust me...;)

Hey Crazy Vancouver nice to see you post in! Thanks I guess my girls are going to be a little happier when I rig up the 2 hps light in there too! I will wait though until it actual time to flower them. Right now they have just been germinated and they are only about 2 inches tall right now.

Cheers!!!

and with the addition of the hps lites... u probably won't need to have the heater in there as well....

i'd add the hps lites and remove the heater... plants actually prefer it to be cooler...

outside... natural... it gets cooler at night... let the temps drop... you don't need to add any heat to the plants, unless it's unreasonably cold (< 50F)... you only need to lower the temperature if you get above 90F...

using cfl's to veg will keep the plants growing slow and tight-nodded... using hps to veg will make the plants grow fast and lankier

the more lumens (energy) you give to the plants, the larger (as a whole) they will grow...

after a couple years worth of experimentation in type, spectrum, etc... i use a combination of both, myself... a 400 hps, and 600W Bright White cfl supplemental lighting....;)

I dont know my friend I am a little scared to take heater out because once those lights go out at night the shed is going to drop well below zero! could still drop to -10 to -20 still. That would kill them would it not?

Cheers!!!

yeah if it's going to drop below 55 you need your heater man! But you may not have to run it while lights are on...

degenerative_disc said:
Thanks

Classic man! Just classic. I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing myself. I got a little shed out back, where I store all my stuff. All I need to do is get some power back there, and I'll be set.

Good luck with the lights, and looking forward to see how things play out!

Yep its a good set up and quite descreet. Its all good.

Cheers!!!

When I was a kid I always knew my dad was going out to burn herb. He thought he was sneaky but I would sneak out my bedroom window and climb the tree in the neighbors back yard and spy on him and his friends in our backyard. Not to mention I have a extremely good nose (found some plants one year by smelling them from over 20 yards away!) so he couldn't really hide it from me.

Latest posts

Back