What's causing the stalk to rot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dank.bud76

danker da better
Reaction score
Pic should show what's going on. got 6 of these going, and two have this mysterious stalk rotting going just above the soil line. plants are in 6" grow cubes, the black is from soil (they were rooting in soil when i transplated). am i overwatering them? can i save them? the tops are green and growing, ableit slowly.

IMG00023.jpg

I could be wrong, but is that the stem that you're showing us, or is it the beginning of the tap root? I can also see side branching of roots. How about covering up those roots?

are you saying i didn't bury the seedlings deep enough? i will throw some more dirt on there and see what happens. the plant was growing the same as the others, but somehow that area is rotted. well maybe rotted isn't the right word, but somethings amiss in that area.

Just from watering it makes the soil sink down. Cover the roots and stem with soil. the roots hate light they should allways be covered with soil. When you water, water away from the stem like towards the edges of the container. you should build the soil up around the stem so the water runs away from the stem when watering.

I think the stem is indeed rotting from being too wet--I don't think that is a tap root. Do you have drainage holes in your container? How much and how often are you watering?

that's not the roots that your seeing, thats the stalk and it is rotted looking and weak just above the soil line. above and below are fine. i am not sure, pretty much guessing this plant is a gooner anyway. if it were outside i'd say something was nibbling on it, but its indoors and protected by attack parakeets. is there anything you can do to add material there? could i cut the good part off up top and will it take roots if i put it in my cloner at 24/0 light? this thing is prolly 6" tall and 12" wide now so im really wanting to see what it does but i just dont think it will go long like this.

you can take clones from anywhere just watch the babies incase they have the same problem
just my thoughts
did you try covering it with something? ive read of people using tape or rope to "fix" a break in a limb
i dont know if this would work for you but its an idea right?

Latest posts

Back