who likes to fish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a kid, my grandpa was caretaker for a huge private lake (600+ acres) filled with blue gill, bass, very big pike (4 footers were common) and perch, we parked our campers there yearly and fishing was the main activity. Blizzard of '78 was crazy, something happened to the lake that has yet to be released, NASA closed the entire area down and brought in HUGE trucks with coverings so you had no clue what was going in...or out. They cleared the private, single lane track of the 20' + snow drifts, widened the lane so their equipment could get in and did who knows what...but there was a large hole in the ice, and dead fish everywhere. We never caught another fish there for years and years, still nothing much there but sickly looking perch. Was odd...our guess was a meteor fell there...or we had company. The ice was melted from the bottom up like something hot went under the surface and boiled the water immediately around the hole.

Fishing has always been a source of enjoyment for me, when my back was screwed up due to a bad driver, I spent whole summers (and winters LOL) on the lakes...live right next to a large sports lake and don't even fish these days, but will get the poles out again, no doubt about it!

Fishin rocks! i spend a lot of time trout fishing in our many spring fed streams and try to get out on the mighity mississip at least once a week once the weather warms...ice fish all winter long on the mississippi too! fav fish to eat..toss up between bluegills, crappies or perch.

StoneyBud said:
There are two things that can harm you with fish; Bacteria and parasites.

You control the bacteria. Washing and rinsing a fish in a mild vinegar solution will wash most of the unknowns off the fish before you cut it.

Then, cleaning the fish in the utmost sanitary manner to end up with two fillets.

Then, rinse the fillets again under running water and wrap them with no air bubbles, in cellophane. Put them on a flat pan and freeze in a normal freezer until very firm. Then it can be stacked easily when you transfer it into a freezer like I have that gets below minus 4F and stays there. Mine holds at minus 25F to minus 35F. Hold the fish at that temperature for a minimum of 7 days. The fish is now free of bacteria and parasites. It's safe to eat raw after thawing it in ice water and will taste as fresh as when you caught it.

Bacteria grows mostly on the exterior of the fish. That's easy to control. The freezing kills all the parasites. I checked with the FDA and spoke with a senior FDA Scientist about it. He assured me if I did what I said above, that the fish would be safe to eat.

On large fish, you should not use the tail meat or the meat right next to the fins for eating raw. Those spots are prone to very high parasite infestations and while they would be dead if you followed my instructions, you would still be eating the dead carcasses of the parasites grouped there. Better to stick with the large "deep" layered meat in the fish. Much fewer parasites to none.

I have eaten fish right from the ocean, but I prefer to do the parasite freeze first.

Do a search for a freezer like this: EdgeStar freezer CMF151LSD

1.5 cu ft will hold about 5 pounds of raw fish that has been frozen like I said above.

Still don't think I'm ready to try, but thanks for the great response Stoney!

I learned to fish at Schadd's, a little resort in calaveras county, near wilseyville, calif. There was a pretty good sized lake and the middle fork of the Moculumme river ran through the center of the property, I now live in Northern Puget Sound and fish the san juan Islands regularly for Salmon of all species, I do alot of stugeon fishing also, I also like going over the mountains to eastern WASHINGTON AND FISHING WALLEYE ON rUFUS WOODS or Banks lake. I almost put on my signature that Friends don't let friends Flyfish!!! I Steelhead also. I fish. spell check on mocolume

SKAGITMAGIC said:
I almost put on my signature that Friends don't let friends Flyfish!!!

That's funny. :rolleyes:

BBFan, good post! I never realized what went into preperation and I'm glad I haven't tried it without knowing that.

BBFan said:
Still don't think I'm ready to try, but thanks for the great response Stoney!

You're very welcome BBFan!

I avoided raw sushi for 50 years. Used to make me feel ill just to think about eating raw fish. Then it got so popular in the USA that I kept hearing about it from all my friends.

I was just driving past a place that was one of the fancy Japanese "Steak House" and they also had sushi. I thought, one bite won't kill me and at least then I'll know what I'm not missing.

I tried a spicy tuna nigiri with a tad of soy sauce on it, (two drops), and stuck that thing in my mouth and started chewing, expecting it to be disgusting.

The flavor surprised the hell out of me. A very mild, no "fish" taste at all, kind of buttery soft bite of a combination of flavors that was great!

At that very moment, I was hooked on sushi.

I'm looking for a 12 step program for sushi junkies!

OGKushman said:
ture story :holysheep:
I have to go hunting but I have some pics of a 20 pound snapper I caught on a 4" purple rubber worm. I thought I had a tire..

StoneyBud said:
You're very welcome BBFan!

I avoided raw sushi for 50 years. Used to make me feel ill just to think about eating raw fish. Then it got so popular in the USA that I kept hearing about it from all my friends.

I was just driving past a place that was one of the fancy Japanese "Steak House" and they also had sushi. I thought, one bite won't kill me and at least then I'll know what I'm not missing.

I tried a spicy tuna nigiri with a tad of soy sauce on it, (two drops), and stuck that thing in my mouth and started chewing, expecting it to be disgusting.

The flavor surprised the hell out of me. A very mild, no "fish" taste at all, kind of buttery soft bite of a combination of flavors that was great!

At that very moment, I was hooked on sushi.

I'm looking for a 12 step program for sushi junkies!

Yeah, I'm in that program. I'll pm the details. :p Probably do sushi 3 times a month.

I've only recently learned I've been eating it wrong- I put a slice of pickled ginger on top over the wasabi and dunk it in the soy sauce- was just told that you're supposed to eat the ginger between bites to"cleanse the palate". Oh well :rolleyes: .

But, all that being said- I'm still not going to try it unless I'm out with someone like you who really knows what they're doing- not something I want to experiment on without an expert present. Thanks again.

niteshft said:
BBFan, good post! I never realized what went into preperation and I'm glad I haven't tried it without knowing that.

Thanks niteshft- but it was Stoney Bud who put up that info- he gets the credit there.

BBFan said:
Yeah, I'm in that program. I'll pm the details. :p Probably do sushi 3 times a month.

I've only recently learned I've been eating it wrong- I put a slice of pickled ginger on top over the wasabi and dunk it in the soy sauce- was just told that you're supposed to eat the ginger between bites to"cleanse the palate". Oh well :rolleyes: .

You've only been eating it "wrong" for American sushi snobs. In Japan, other than normal politeness, there is no right or wrong way to eat sushi. If you want to put a slice of raw carrot on every bite, just tell the chef and he'll make it that way for you! He might even try one himself! hahaahaha

Traditionally, the ginger is used to prepare your mouth for the next flavor mix, but I've seen lots of Americans eat it with the bites of sushi. Don't stop if you like it that way!

There are a couple of rules to sushi, but they have nothing to do with the sushi itself.

One is don't poke your chops into something and let them stand there. That is done at traditional Japanese funerals in a bowl of rice to honor the departed and symbolize giving them food to take on thier journey. It's considered very, very tacky to do it any other time.

Another is not pointing your chops at another person if it can be avoided. Its considered an act of aggression and impolite. When resting them, put them cross-ways (left to right or vice versa) so they don't point across the table at someone. It's ok if someone is sitting to your left or right as they aren't inline with the chops.

If serving sushi at home, NEVER serve it with knives on the table or at a place setting. Having a knife within view of guests is a direct insult and challenge to do battle in old Japan. Its just not done by those who are not preparing the sushi. You'll notice that a sushi chef NEVER points with the knife or his chops at a customer, even by accident.

Lots of very old customs with Japanese eating. There are maybe 2000 types of sushi. Who knows? Its impossible to get bored with it if you have a chef who will listen to you describe your likes or dislikes. Feel free to do so when eating somewhere. They WANT to know what you like or not.

With Japanese, if you make an attempt to be very polite, even when you commit a culinary faux pas, (faux pas is a french term meaning "false step), they will forgive you silently for not knowing and it would be considered extremely rude of them to correct you with others present or EVER if you are a customer.

In Florida, there is a fish named "Sailors Choice" that was a old-time sailing days favorite among the crew of a ship. Spot tail pinfish (Diplodus holbrooki) also known as porgy, spot and spot-tail porgy.

If scaled and cleaned whole, then put in one layer in a large glass baking dish and just covered with a 50/50 mix of milk and water and simmered until done, it's meat is pure white, sweet and fantastic to make fish patties from or use in any creamed fish chowder.

They can be caught at will anyplace in the intracoastal waterway or around rocks or reefs in Florida. Use a tiny gold hook with an equally tiny piece of fresh-dead shrimp using an ultra-light rod/reel setup.

They're also extremely good to use as bait for larger deep water fishing.

frankcos said:
I have to go hunting but I have some pics of a 20 pound snapper I caught on a 4" purple rubber worm. I thought I had a tire..

Fun, aren't they?

My grandma caught one once, it was a big around as a washtub (honest)...she too thought she had a tire or bottom or...anything but a live catch! She caught it on...get this...a CANE POLE, took her 2 hours of struggling to finally bring the big guy close enough to shore for her to realize she needed help...big time! She got it, but WOW. This was at the lake I told of above! No clue as to weight.

On a fishing trip about 10 years ago, we decided to allow our boat to ground while we toked and drank on break. When the boat started moving upwards and out from shore, I looked over the side to see nothing but tail and shell on one side, the other showed head and shell...we were in a 14' flat flatbottom. That was the biggest snapper I ever saw in my life, must have been over 100 years old. True stories here....no embellishment at all. This too was at the same lake as above...

the steelhead are runnin up here in oregon,I'll have one for supper tomarrow night.after that my chair and my pipe and my bed

trailertrash said:
the steelhead are runnin up here in oregon,I'll have one for supper tomarrow night.after that my chair and my pipe and my bed
They close the river here in March, the big natives are running and they're trying to preserve them, to much subsestance and commercial netting in the river here, catching steelhead, a rare treat for me anymore.

Just stocked the rivers here this year they stocked browns, brookies, rainbows,and tiger trout. I think Im gonna take my oldest boy and find my way to the river tomorrow. If its still raining it may have to be a solo mission its my only day off and Im going fishing...

Yeah I find fishing extremely relaxing and a great way to just get away from it all and think about things that are on my mind... it's also a great time to have a toke ;)

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish, He'll sit in a boat drinkin' beer.....;)

I fish.... therefore I am ! ............ A fishin fanatic !!!!!!

i had to fich my matches out of my sofa wensday nite that count?

in the east i loved bass, pike, musky, fishin. now in the west theres 50 lb gerrard rainbow, dolly varden, kokanee, in 1000 foot deep, dambed lakes, looking up @ killer glaciers. fish on!

Latest posts

Back