Wiring fan question!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toothbrush?

Reaction score
I bought an S&P TD150 inline fan. I have to wire an extension cord to it, I guess. Since there is no spot for a ground wire, can I just use a two prong extension cord?

Thanks

toothbrush? said:
I bought an S&P TD150 inline fan. I have to wire an extension cord to it, I guess. Since there is spot for a ground wire, can I just use a two prong extension cord?

Thanks

No. If there is a place on the fan to connect a ground wire, it is meant to be wired with a cord with a ground wire. You should use a grounded cord when wiring this. Most appliances, tools, and other devices that are wired without grounded plugs are double insulated to help prevent electrical shock.

The Hemp Goddess said:
No. If there is a place on the fan to connect a ground wire, it is meant to be wired with a cord with a ground wire. You should use a grounded cord when wiring this. Most appliances, tools, and other devices that are wired without grounded plugs are double insulated to help prevent electrical shock.

Bah, I meant if there ISN'T a place for the ground wire.

Thanks guys!

You should still use a ground wire, in fact as a rule of thumb you should always go to ground. It's just safer. Just hook the ground wire to the case or there should be a little bolt on the case for this purpose. You can put it anywhere that electricity doesn't but could flow in the event of a short, the case is usually a good idea because if you touched it while it was shorting out and hadn't tripped your breaker you would then become the ground.

A solution might be to just use a computer power wire. You know, the one you connect your computer and monitor to your socket. It has the 3 wires you need. :)

My first post btw, hello everyone.

Hey there's the resident electrician, I'm sure he would know. What do you think TCVG

sounds like the power cord that came with the unit is not long enough... correct? that's why you gotta add an extension cord?

if that's the case, and the cord that came with the unit is only a 2-pronger, then yes you can simply use a 2-prong extension cord to get to yer correct length... or, you can use an extension cord with a ground- no biggie... the ground jack just wouldn't be used.

if, however, there is no cord that came with the unit and you have to hardwire it, LOOK at the literature that came with the fan... it will tell you how to wire up the unit.

if you are still confused, get back to me :)

Latest posts

Back