Yet another new grower -Have a look

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given what that plant has been through and the fact that you brought it back and it is now handily blooming quite nicely, I would say that that leaf yellowing is probably nothing to worry about. They do often start yellowing and dying when they go farther into flower, especially the lower leaves that get less light combined with the plant using so much of its nutrients for flower production. If this becomes a trend that starts showing up in the middle or top part of the plant, then you may have a deficiency or other problem happening. At the moment I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on it.

So, i pulled 'her' out and removed all the yellowing leaves, 28 in all , and i believe you are correct Hushpuppy. The ones i removed were all the single bladed ones that got the plant to its present size and new 5 bladers are replacing them, i figure. I might want to think about a flush though as i noticed tonite the run off way getting pretty yellow. I was led to believe that that is a sign of salt build up as a result of unused nutrient build up.Correct?? Also as i was thinking of light penetration , i raised the glass pane that sheilds the plant from heat from light.( its an open-concept cooltube idea) anyhow the increased air volume vastly improved my air flow and temps. Runs at the 400 setting at a max of 83 now, and before it would get to 90+ . Cool
So i was thinking, my dimensions are 1.5' deep and 2.5 wide , meaning it is a total of 3.75 sq. ft. Now if 400 watts give you 50,000 lumens divided by 3.75= slightly more than 13,000 lumens per sq. ft. Right?? If that is the proper formula then hmm, thats' alright ! I've seen what alot of guys do with 250's and have fantastic plants. Currently the light is 13-14" away and maintaining 82-83 deg. I'll post more pics in a few days to compare growth, check into the yellowing thing.

Solanero said:
Why do you ask? was it the steel plant that makes you say that?

Partly becuase of that and partly because i know someone who lives in stoney creek and they get a white film on patio furniture after the rain,
they blame it on Hamilton

Why did you remove the yellowing leaves? I think the leaves look like it could be a Cal-mag issue. Leaves that are N depleted look quite a bit different and they should not yellow and drop until you are well into flowering. She is extremely droopy looking. I would not let her get this wilty between waterings.

If you think that 400w is too much, turn it back to 250. My point was more about the inefficiency of the CFLs next to the HPS--if you felt you needed more light than the 250W from your HPS, you are far better off getting rid of the CFLs and turning your HPS up to 400W. The 40w CFLs you were using were probably putting out about 2500 lumens (around 62 lumens per watt) and they lose intensity over short distances. The 400W puts out about 125 lumens per watt and the light penetrates much better.

Reactions: Sol
While going through the free growing resources posted here, i see what you mean about the lighting, its alot more than just flicking a switch is'nt it? I usually flip back n forth tween 400 and 250 depending on the heat outside. Either way works well so its nice to have the option to turn up or down if needed.
I removed the leaves because they essentially were falling at my touch anyway, so why not help them along? Just the yellow ones mind you. And i'm reading up on cal-mag right now. Oh, and usually i don't let the soil become as dry but the conditions changed here due to some roofing work i am doing and it is now dryer than before. Caught me by surprise as well. I knew i shoulda waited to take pics after water when she perked up but i was rushing. I'll watch that next time.
But as i was saying the yellow leaves seemed to be the first, most mature ones and they were jumping off almost. Things look much better now, and i was as careful like i was handling dynamite.

i found this thread on cal-mag helpful.http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56745&highlight=cal-mag
and i picked these up today just in case.

DSCI0001.JPG

Oh well,i said i'de wait a week but there are no good pics on pg.2 so.....

see the one with the short leaves? I had the great idea that i would see what trimming the top would do .....not proper technique for sure but it did'nt seem to hurt anything much. That's why i'm here, to learn.

DSCI0002.JPG

DSCI0005.JPG

DSCI0007.JPG

DSCI0009.JPG

DSCI0011.JPG

Dude, I dunno what you're worried about, they look stellar!!

Are the yellowing leaves at the bottom? If so, thats normal. But don't pull them. When the plant no longer needs them she'll shed them on her own. Are you feeding chemical nutes? If so, give it a good flushing to get rid of any salt build up. Better safe than sorry. But all in all, good job so far!!

You might wanna take a look at going organic for next time. It's a lot more forgiving, less hassle, and at the very least you'll get better tasting bud!!

Looks like you're doing just fine. Good call on the cal/mag. I give my plants about half strength every other watering. If you are using R/O or distilled water, give them a full strength drink. I also use the Botanicare.

Keep it up!!

Thank you Jack

i finally am able to feel comfortable posting a pic of my whole lil' space, i just found out there is a glass cutting guy close to me so i took that glass shelf you see below the light and had it cut to proper size. Before it was too long and was at a 45 degree angle, looked stupid ,took up too much space, but now i'm very pleased with how it turned out. Anyhow, i was thinking about this because as you can see there is about 1.5 -2 ft. more clearance in height if and when i need it. Possibly more if i compact the top section more by raising reflector and glass maybe 4-6 inches more. My thinking is, i might need more height and also that pot i'm using now might not be large enough if this plant wants to keep growing. The container holds,..um 7kg dry weight kitty litter, so lord only knows what size that is in gallons or litres. I'm not sure bout this one.
Also if because of the way the main stem cuts over 90 deg. when the individual stalks start putting on weight ,it gonna want to fall over, i can see it now.Everything i've read so far sorta frowns on repotting when in flower. I also included a pic of the 2 part i'm using along with a supporting cast of products i have on the shelf. I have already planned to give a good flush ,prolly tomorrow will be right time ,bet that helps,not that anything really is wrong. Thank you for your compliment as well, much appreciated. First- timers can be self-concious. :) :cool:

DSCI0002.JPG

DSCI0005.JPG

wholegrow.JPG

DSCI0015.JPG

I would not use any glass in my grow space that was not tempered.

I never flush my plants and I defy anyone to tell the difference between my bud and bud that was flushed. After a proper cure, IME, there is no difference. I simply believe that it is bad to deprive your girls of food when they are finishing. Would you starve yourself before a marathon?

Maybe i am using the wrong terms here. I was just going to run water through the pot until it ran clear out the bottom. Not depriving the plant of water/food. I thought that that was how you washed excess salts outof the grow medium, by running clean water through the medium ,let it drain, do it again, thus cleaning the extra stuff out of the pot. I was under the impression that you guys all did that at some point . I would'nt just stop water/food to a plant just beginning the flower cycle. Am i explaining myself properly? does what i'm saying make sense?
From reading thread after thread here i've come to learn that THG knows her stuff, preaches the basics, and i would'nt contest your advise , just as long as i'm aware of my mistakes and i understand the solutions.
So, in short, i was'nt gonna deprive anything, just clean it up a bit. Is'nt salt build up, as i descibed, called 'nute lock"? and i want to avoid that if possible.

Nope, you used the correct term. Flushing is running quantities of water (generally 3 times the pot size) through the plant. But, unless you know for sure that you have salt build-up or overnuted, I see no reason to flush.

Salt buildup and nute lock are two different thing. Nute lockout is caused by having your pH out of proper range. I really don't have problems with salt buildup. Once in a while I will overnute and flush, but that is it.

I see. Well, i'm not SURE that there is a problem. I noticed a slight discoloration last time i watered in the run-off, but not really bad at all. I figures, ok i prolly should not have helped the plant by removing those leaves , i DID read up first and i did read that by removing a leaf that is in a state of degradation and going to die off , you will save the energy the plant would lose waiting for the leaf to die still on a stem, and so on and so on. I seem to learn best by actually doing then seeing results. Granted on big issues, could be big consequences( ask first in this case).
Back to the flushing part, i havent flushed yet and read thyat alot of ppl usually will flush just before or 1 week of flowering, i assume to make ready for blooming solution as opposed to vegging nutrients. And in my specific case ,perhaps would help my yellow leaf problem ( that i don't seem to see anymore of)

I agree with THG on the flushing. If you aren't seeing any problems or know for sure that you gave too much nutes, there's no need to flush at this point. I used to flush the final week of flower but found on my last harvest (I had to harvest before I wanted and didn't get a chance to flush) that the taste of the buds didn't change from not flushing... That plant looks nice BTW. Looks like you will have some serious buds when they fill out. They are already looking real good. It looks like the light is penetrating real good. JMO, but I would lower the plant about half the distance from the table that it is on so that the light footprint can spread out a little more, and keep that light at 400w and watch those buds grow and fill in, and get fat!!

Firstly, Thank you, secondly, Really??Lower it? The only reason it is soo close, is i saw that lumen dispersion chart where you lose intensity after so many inches and so on. I have no problem with lowering it if it was going to be beneficial , its a little stool BTW. I think i have the 'peeking bug' y'know, i have plenty of patience for the end result but i just love lookin at her. Here's some with better color, i just adjusted the flash on the cam. I'll lower her a bit now too and hold off on that flush too.

DSCI0005.JPG

DSCI0002.JPG

Ok, so i lowered the height a bit, and yes i see what you mean. Even thought i had just turned the whole plant around ,so the back faces forward now, the light was too close to hit the one side, so i think its better this way too.

How close is it to the plant? If it is on 400w then you can be up to 18" away without hurting the amount of lumens that the plant is recieving. It just looked like in one pic that it is very close and the periphery of the plant is not getting much light. With the amount of light there you can lower it and spread the light to the outer edges of the plant without losing anything

You were wondering about the size of your planter in an earlier post. I figure its about 2gal judging from the size of the fan(I have one of those fans) That should be good size for the size of the plant. You also said you were worried about it falling over when the buds swell. you could get some bamboo sticks from the local plants-n-stuff stores and just tie several of the stems to them, with the ends of the sticks standing to the floor. I loke how you tied her over. That has proven to give you more bud sites. That little plant is going to yeild very nice.

Some more purdy pictures. Although , i noticed the yellow leaves are still there. I am using spring water i buy from the store and adding cal-mag too, but only once so they may correct themselves,maybe. Im not too worried as those are still all the first big wide single bladed ones,in most cases. Still, i'm tickled friggin pink with my results so far. This has been a fun lil journey. Oh yes, and thanxs Hushpuppy i did still have those ?? , should be fine.

DSCI0001.JPG

DSCI0002.JPG

DSCI0003.JPG

DSCI0004.JPG

looks nice, did you scrog or lst? damn you got a lot of colas on that one plant

Latest posts

Back