3X6 With 3 600w Lights, Waste of money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pata

Reaction score
Ok so I got two 3X3 trays in a 4X8 tent, im running 3X600w HPS lights that are air cooled by a 10" fan over the tables.

I dont have any heat issues, my ventalation rocks.. My question is this overkill in a 3X6, well lets call it 3-1/2 X 6-1/2 cuz the plants are over the tray edges.

I know some are gonna say light footprint blah blah, some are gonna say if I get just a extra ounce it paid for itself etc..

Looking for those that have experience with light around 100W Per SqFt, am I looking at better medication at this range or am I looking to waste money on electricity?

Hi pata,
So if I got you right you have two 3x3 trays equaling 18 total square feet of growing plants in a 32 square foot tent. One 600 watt HPS will cover 19 square feet with 5,000 lumens per square foot. The sun on a clear day can do 10,000 lumens per square foot. You are looking to do over 15,800 lumens per square foot. Yes in my opinion it would be overkill.
I run two 600 watt cool tubes over a 30 square foot space with usually 10-11 plants (larger plants that fill up the 30 square feet) and they do very well getting only 6,300 lumens per square foot. In fact I have to keep my lights at least a foot away or I start to get light burn (pic below).
The other pic is my Sensi Star, Day #48, under my two cool tubes.
-Fan-

EDIT: As far as "better medication" is concerned, I would have to say no. The extra light will not alter the THC content once the plant is getting enough light in the light-range it needs, adding more light just produces more dense, bigger buds.

burn 003.JPG

burn 010.JPG

Latest posts

Back