5th season... 1st journal!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so I had a disaster in the grow room today! I dropped a light on one of the ladies! The auto of all of them! I have now sworn myself from CFL setup (or at least ghetto ones like this) When the T5 gets here on the 15th I'll never use them again! (maybe for side lighting on my mothers or something; not above them!) It didn't kill the il diavolo... But cleared the fans off of one side! My understanding you want to keep your pruning to a minimum with auto strains because of their relatively short life span. Oh well, she'll still put something out that will suffice until the regular strains go through their cycles... I couldn't believe it; drop the light! I removed the bottom sets of fans on WWxBB's two branches; they were pushing against one another and separating the two apart... She looks really puny but I've got time to waste on her since I'll have five flowering in a 3x3 space... She'll fill the second tent full (next harvest i mean...
0312111815.jpg0312111818.jpg
This a couple of garden shots... The pruning a couple of days ago seems to have achieved exactly what I was going for... The branches on the first two nodes of each plant (some more than others) had stretched a bit out to the light! Getting to look like miniature bushes!
0312111815a.jpg0312111816a.jpg
Side and top view of sugar black rose... I think she's the bushiest, but has been passed in height by the Northern Lights Blue.... (100% indica; go figure)
0312111816.jpg
Northern Lights Blue... She stretching you think?

There are only two types of growers.

1. Those who have already dropped a freakin light on a plant.

2. Those who are going to.

I did it just recently man. :D

Your plants are looking healthy!

StoneyBud said:

LOL... Ain't that the damn truth! I'm about fed up with the CFL "multi-dome" going on in the closet... Tiresome! I hope the auto doesn't suffer from it too badly! I want enough off of it to carry me through until I harvest the other ladies!

StoneyBud said:

too funny

So the girls are doing great! They're getting big enough now that it's harder and harder to see a difference in them from day to day... But a side by side comparison from photos a few days apart and it's very evident. I topped one Papaya and the Northern Lights Blue... After taking two clones, this will leave me 12-16 branches (depending on how they split; attempted fim) on each... Enough for a descent harvest after LST puts them all on the same canopy. Here's a few shots...
0313111703.jpg0313111704.jpg0313111720.jpg
Would these qualify as plants now? They're about 6-8" tall, can I tie them down yet? They still look a little short to me! What you guys think?

Well, I was going to wait but I changed my mind this evening... I tied the sugar black rose and one of the papaya down tonight, and I'm going to tie some more down tomorrow... I've topped one papaya and I'll leave the other one alone to grow naturally... I want to see if topping or LST will make a difference in yield in a side by side by side grow! Will be interesting... I forgot to snap photos, but I'll get some tomorrow and post them in my GJ... By then they may be turned back towards the light! I'll tie at least one more, the northern lights blue which I've also topped... See if a topped and LST'd plant makes a difference in yield vs size type of thing... Want to maximize use of my relatively small flowering area of 3x3... Wish me luck guys!

CFL grows simply impress me, espeacially yours. Like the way you got your lights. Going to subd to this one...stay kool

:holysheep: another awesome CFL grow in play :D

faderharley said:
CFL grows simply impress me, espeacially yours. Like the way you got your lights. Going to subd to this one...stay kool

:holysheep: another awesome CFL grow in play :D
well, I'm going T5 tomorrow! I like the CFL's, but I've heard that T5 runs more lumens per watt and a lot less heat! I'm running three fans on high right now to keep the temps at 76-79 Fahrenheit. T5 is just a flourescent, not compact, but florescent still the same! If I don't get the results similar to CFL then I'll switch back out! We'll see how it goes!

Yeah, my grow closet can get alittle hot for just 4 plants when I put them in flowering w/1200watts of CFLs, usually gets to 89-92 degress, but my rez. water is always at 65 degress. Hot on top, cool below in my aero-hydro grow lol, you really got a great grow going, I'm subd...4sure :D

well, I tied the Northern Lights Blue down today and decided to leave the rest alone... I used bread ties to do my tie downs with, tied 2 together and wrapped it around the stalk, then bent the ladies to at least 90 degrees, and used my thumb nail to crease the wire of the bread tie tucked under the lip of the pot. I figure if it's too much stress, the easy grip will release and not damage my girls... All and all I'd say it went extremely well though; get some monster branches and I'll experiment with supercropping for you guys to peer in on! This gives me a regular (no topping, no LST) papaya, a topped papaya (which I'll LST once grown out), and an LST'd papaya. It leaves the il diavolo (auto, left alone)Sugar Black Rose which I tied down for LST, and WWxBB whom I'm growing out for clones... PICTURE TIME!
0314111708.jpg
The three girls that are tied up!
0314111719a.jpg0314111719.jpg
Sugar Black Rose, see how she's already pointed back towards the light!?
0314111719b.jpg
Northern Lights Blue... Going to go back over a little later and see if she's pointed back up yet... Take some photos if is the case.
0314111718.jpg0314111720.jpg0314111720a.jpgSome garden shots as a whole... I will be uploading what I believe to be an alternating node later... It's on a branch so I don't know if it's a sign of sexual maturity or maybe just an attempt to get the fans to light!? pics coming later!

StoneyBud said:
The plants are looking great!
Thanx man! I went over and checked on them this evening (again!)... I forgot to close the door on the room where I had it ventilating a bit, temp dropped to 73... Not bad but I'm as anal as they come at keeping my optimums! I decided that the ladies who are tied down could use a haircut and pruned a few of the palm-sized fan leaves from the main stalk and I can already tell a huge difference in the bottom branches! Not only have the tops turned back towards the light, but so have all the secondary branches... I could almost swear they've grown since this afternoon! I fed them again today, still seedling strength big grow... I am going to up the mix another tsp. next week... Or feeding... I've been feeding on Mondays, but really just listening to the girls to see what they want!:D Anyways, WWxBB has recuperated from the topping and pruning quite vigorously, but is now shooting out three leaves on each node!
0314112338.jpg
Ever seen this? Strange I thought! Bad sign you think?
0314112339.jpg
The three ladies I've got tied down; left to right, Sugar Black Rose, Northern Lights Blue (topped also), and Papaya
0314112340.jpg
This evening's garden shot! Loving the growth right now!

I forgot to take pictures of the "alternating node" but will catch tomorrow or someday! Seriously considering LSTing all of them, but I'm doing the side by side by side grow with one LST'd, one topped, and one natural growth Papaya's... For the sake of experimental results, I'll refrain from doing so. I would like to take clones next week if size permits... Gotta get next generation ready! T5 comes in tomorrow! Excited about new equipment... Also have ten 5 gal. smart pots coming... All from HTG Supply's eBay store (not pushing products here :rofl:). In exception to the WWxBB, the Il diavolo is the runt of the litter! But she looks healthy and should start flowering within a few weeks right!? Guess it's Google time!:D

Dude! It might just be my weed man, but that first pic with the yellow lines? I'm not sure what I'm seeing...

Kinda looks like a village of frogs drawing football plays....:shocked: :bong:

Seriously, what is that? :D

StoneyBud said:
Dude! It might just be my weed man, but that first pic with the yellow lines? I'm not sure what I'm seeing...

Kinda looks like a village of frogs drawing football plays....:shocked: :bong:

Seriously, what is that? :D
It's a picture of the three leaf node of WWxBB... seeing if anyone had seen a plant do this... Been an odd plant from sprout first it stopped growing vertically after three sets of single leafs, now it's throwing out three leafs on each node! :confused:idk...

Gixxerman420 said:
It's a picture of the three leaf node of WWxBB... seeing if anyone had seen a plant do this... Been an odd plant from sprout first it stopped growing vertically after three sets of single leafs, now it's throwing out three leafs on each node! :confused:idk...

If I remember correctly, Hick was involved with a plant that did exactly that. I think the outcome was that if the plant is healthy, it won't affect anything at all in terms of harvest.

I believe that there's a fancy word for it even. Maybe when Hick comes baaaaaak to the site in the morning, he'll stop in. :D :p

StoneyBud said:
If I remember correctly, Hick was involved with a plant that did exactly that. I think the outcome was that if the plant is healthy, it won't affect anything at all in terms of harvest.

I believe that there's a fancy word for it even. Maybe when Hick comes baaaaaak to the site in the morning, he'll stop in. :D :p
Cool, thx!

faderharley said:
Yeah, my grow closet can get alittle hot for just 4 plants when I put them in flowering w/1200watts of CFLs, usually gets to 89-92 degress, but my rez. water is always at 65 degress. Hot on top, cool below in my aero-hydro grow lol, you really got a great grow going, I'm subd...4sure :D
Appreciate the confidence! I see promise in this season! 89-92? Are you supplementing co2? Plants at higher temps are less likely to hermit or show signs of stress with co2 enrichment... Any troubles with it so far?

StoneyBud said:

It is just a "tri-foliate". Some mistake them for "triploid" plants.."A plant that has three sets of chromosomes in place of the usual two. Triploids are usually sterile, and they are difficult to breed"..(which they are not) simply because they have that particular anomaly.
It "seems" to me, when was researching it, that mj plants with trifoliate tendency tend also to be male.

Hick said:
It "seems" to me, when was researching it, that mj plants with trifoliate tendency tend also to be male.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: YIKES! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

StoneyBud said:
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: YIKES! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
My sentiments exactly! If I veg this sucker out to the point that I want for clones and it turns out to be male, I'll be upset! Guess I'll take an early clone to flower!

Latest posts

Back