A gram per watt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwind

Reaction score
I am curious to see all of you experts opinions on how to achieve the coveted gram per watt harvest. I have a 400w HPS for example and I'm looking for advice on things like the number of plants, the length of veg time, lst or pruning, hydro or soil, and maybe even strain type. I know some of you all have achieved it. I'd love to learn from your experience.

I have more than 70 successful grows under my belt. I have never reached 1g/w. Of course, it was never my goal. The strains I grow are uber potent, but not yielding. I have always felt that the trade off of yield vs potency wasn't worth it to me. I'd rather have the potency any day. I also grow in soil with organic nutes. My preference is for great tasting and smelling weed, again not yield. Finding everything in 1 strain is the search for the holy grail my friend. I'm still looking after all these years, lol.:D

Not saying I've done it, I don't weigh my harvests up really either, but if you were gonna do it, your best bet would probably be a hydro SOG. I do a soil SOG and it gets some pretty nice results, I imagine doin a hydro SOG would jsut capitalize on it...

umbra said:
I have more than 70 successful grows under my belt. I have never reached 1g/w. Of course, it was never my goal. The strains I grow are uber potent, but not yielding. I have always felt that the trade off of yield vs potency wasn't worth it to me. I'd rather have the potency any day. I also grow in soil with organic nutes. My preference is for great tasting and smelling weed, again not yield. Finding everything in 1 strain is the search for the holy grail my friend. I'm still looking after all these years, lol.:D

he's dead on you dont need a gram per watt. you need to find some killer strains that will give you high quality.:hubba: even though it weighs less overall i find it last longer cause 2 bong rips is all you need compared to a gram of average bud so you smoke less overall

Thanks for the responses guys. I also am in complete agreement on the quality vs quantity issue. The thing is, I've never achieved the gram per watt thing either and I was hoping some of the folks who have done it would respond with their techniques. Maybe it's a myth and no one actually has done it? I don't know...

i would suggest trying a dwc grow
everyone says the growth in veg state is unbelieveable
ive ever grown in soil so i have no comparison and ive only done dwc once but its great

I thought the 'coveted' # was 2 g per watt? Cool, learn something new every day.

I'm really surprised, I thought I'd get a different response to this. It looks like the gram per watt thing really is a myth.

gram per watt isnt a myth, it would be easy to do, you would just have to have your environment dialed.

Perfect RH
Perfect Temps
hps lighting
Co2 enrichment (1800 ppm)
Proper ph to ensure premium nutrient uptake.

and strain has a lot to do with it. You just wont see the same yields on a SSH compared to a Bigbud or NL strain. given the same veg time.

This just isn't the forum to check for it in, most everyone here grows for personal use, and high quality smoke. These things don't really add up to heavy weights, it's not the peoples goal here. I'm sure many of us could acieve the gram per watt thing if so desired, but we have other goals, ya know?

On my last grow:

19.5 oz = 552.815 g
430W for half the grow, 860 for the remainder.
That's an average of 645W, for 552.8 grams.
645/552.8 = 1.2 grams per/watt

One big bong hit and you're good.

Take a hit, take a walk, about half way through the walk, I realize I'm very, very, small...

actually stoneybud you got 0.86g per/watt. Still an impressive harvest, but not 1.2 grams per/watt. You just divided the grams into watts, you needed to divide the grams by the watts... :D

552.8g/645w=0.86

lordhighlama said:
actually stoneybud you got 0.86g per/watt. Still an impressive harvest, but not 1.2 grams per/watt. You just divided the grams into watts, you needed to divide the grams by the watts... :D

552.8g/645w=0.86
hehe, two tokes and I can't do math...hehe

member that joke about cutting off the frogs legs?

Off with one leg, LOUD CLAP....Frog jumps only 80% as far

Off with the second leg, LOUD CLAP....Frog jumps only 65% as far

Off with the third leg, LOUD CLAP....From barely clears 10%

Off with the fourth leg, LOUD CLAP....Frog loses hearing.

I got just shy of 4 lbs off my last grow, about a half oz. shy.
1792 grams from 2000w= .896

Not too shabby.

StoneyBud said:
Dude! I'm only .14 off.....purty please???

lol... I figured that bong hit you just took threw off your math mojo! :D

BuddyLuv said:
I got just shy of 4 lbs off my last grow, about a half oz. shy.
1792 grams from 2000w= .896

Not too shabby.

It wasn't your first grow either. It takes a fair amount of experience to dial in everything and get those results. You and Potus, I mean SB have more experience than many of the members reading this thread. Being able to read the plant, and knowing how to address it can make all the difference. And it is very strain dependent. :D

umbra said:
It wasn't your first grow either. It takes a fair amount of experience to dial in everything and get those results. You and Potus, I mean SB have more experience than many of the members reading this thread. Being able to read the plant, and knowing how to address it can make all the difference. And it is very strain dependent. :D

Very true Umbra, I can not wait to to get these Merlin beans. I could care less about weight but I will take it anyday. Hopefully I get half that off these beans, I have quite the surplus of weed right now.

Latest posts

Back