anyone want to discuss leds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf74

Reaction score
the following pics are from my current hps/led grow. I have pics from my 3oz yielding from 7 just rooted clone grow-in my profile but I'll be posting more pics here if anyone shows interest. The strains are barneys farm nightshade and LA Confidential. peace

day 33 evening update pics 001-1.JPG

day 33 flowering, veg week 2 lowrider and nightshade clones 003.JPG

day 33 flowering, veg week 2 lowrider and nightshade clones 013.JPG

I wanna discuss them.
There are like 150 versions of the UFO now from 50 different companies.
Ive been reading about a few different companies that make them to see which are crap or not.
Gets confusing cause they are pretty much all the same. Now they come in Tri and Quad bands. Seen them that use Orange as the 3rd, Green as the 3rd, White, different band of red, and all kinds of other ways.
How do you sort out which is best? Been studying, and some say orange, some say that hint of green. The white is said to cover both, but just weaker, while taking watts from the red and blue it use to power.

Im rambling. But like Bruce Campbell says, "The more I learn, the less I know. Soon Ill be knowing nothing in notime."

SPEARCHUCKER said:
I wanna discuss them.
There are like 150 versions of the UFO now from 50 different companies.
Ive been reading about a few different companies that make them to see which are crap or not.
Gets confusing cause they are pretty much all the same. Now they come in Tri and Quad bands. Seen them that use Orange as the 3rd, Green as the 3rd, White, different band of red, and all kinds of other ways.
How do you sort out which is best? Been studying, and some say orange, some say that hint of green. The white is said to cover both, but just weaker, while taking watts from the red and blue it use to power.

Im rambling. But like Bruce Campbell says, "The more I learn, the less I know. Soon Ill be knowing nothing in notime."
I've worked with 3 different ufo's- the illuminator tri-band w/ the orange diodes is the best of the 3- it's just a sturdier unit.But I think just getting a ufo w/ 660 nm and 430nm diodes and then balancing out the spectrum w/ white led light.The orange is supposed to stimulate carotenoids.Green- I'm not sure about- but who knows this tech is still in its infancy. But I think white led light is what was missing in earlier experiments, coupled with a poor earlier ufo design= no buds, or popcorn that just wouldn't mature. 660nm is key to success. peace

i had 4 led panles that were blue and red mix i put 2 plants under and one on the side on them and the plants got really weak looking .....really weak. i put the back in the mh and they turned out male .. i think it was from the stress of the weak led . my best bet is mh and hps are the best..

czz said:
i had 4 led panles that were blue and red mix i put 2 plants under and one on the side on them and the plants got really weak looking .....really weak. i put the back in the mh and they turned out male .. i think it was from the stress of the weak led . my best bet is mh and hps are the best..
You want to stay away from the panels as a primary light source-crappy diodes. And I absolutely agree-My hps/mh combo flower rooms were always a treat to grow in.This tech, at least going pure led, is best used by the city folk, who just cant, for whatever reason-vent the high temps from an HID.If someone came to me and asked my opinion on the best grow method-hps/mh combo in flowering rules. peace

not gonna lie man they look good, but dude you got ripped. I had the same if not bigger results with just a 400 hps. maybe one day leds will be up there, but that time has not come. im sorry man. just stick with the hid.

Well, if ya check the link on my sig you can see what I have to say about em. I think if ya can get more than one they should do pretty well, but check over my view in my sig and tell me what you think, and lets discuss from there...

bluealein56 said:
not gonna lie man they look good, but dude you got ripped. I had the same if not bigger results with just a 400 hps. maybe one day leds will be up there, but that time has not come. im sorry man. just stick with the hid.
thanx-but this wasnt one of those experiments to see which is better- it was to see if this was a viable option for those unable to run a hid operation. And I believe this could be the next big thing for apartment dwellers and such. peace.

blancolighter said:
Well, if ya check the link on my sig you can see what I have to say about em. I think if ya can get more than one they should do pretty well, but check over my view in my sig and tell me what you think, and lets discuss from there...
I read your post before I gat into this- very well thought out. And I agree with you, on most points, it's imperitive that we look very objectively at this tech, taking in the good and the bad, the good is that they work- I've been hearing the whole time that they wouldn't- when I proved they work, people started to back peddle and bring up cost. So you cant win. It just seems people want to shut out this very useful tech, probably because everyone else is. It's merely human nature. I think as cost comes down we're going to see more and more converts- haters included- although they wont admit it-:cool: thanx 4 taking the time to drop in fellas and stick around, the girls in the above pics have about 3 1/2 weeeks to go;) I cant wait to see what they look like harvest time. peace

I don't think anybody said they would not work. Just that for value and results they cannot beat a hid system, yet.

pcduck said:
I don't think anybody said they would not work. Just that for value and results they cannot beat a hid system, yet.
Not on this site, sorry if I didnt make myself clear, but on rollitup I've actually had my mother insulted in an led discussion lol. No, everyone her so far has been very open minded to the subject. As for cost- my next project is a diy high power 15w diode panel. I'll be sure to carefully document cost versus yield and it will be done in a seperate tent using the array as the sole light source. But I think the future of this is lower cost diy systems- not slave labor built ufo's. peace

Best of luck to ya, I hope you do it.

People use to read by candlelight at night, now we grow weed:holysheep: , and there is always room for advancement:D

pcduck said:
Best of luck to ya, I hope you do it.

People use to read by candlelight at night, now we grow weed:holysheep: , and there is always room for advancement:D
Damn good quote , and thank you.:)

bf74 said:
I read your post before I gat into this- very well thought out. And I agree with you, on most points, it's imperitive that we look very objectively at this tech, taking in the good and the bad, the good is that they work- I've been hearing the whole time that they wouldn't- when I proved they work, people started to back peddle and bring up cost. So you cant win. It just seems people want to shut out this very useful tech, probably because everyone else is. It's merely human nature. I think as cost comes down we're going to see more and more converts- haters included- although they wont admit it-:cool: thanx 4 taking the time to drop in fellas and stick around, the girls in the above pics have about 3 1/2 weeeks to go;) I cant wait to see what they look like harvest time. peace

And ya know, the more problems I have with my HID, the more I think I might get another LED system in the future. Like when my 600 w HPS bulb blew up a few weeks ago, the almost convinced me to go all LED.

Yea when people bring up cost, its so unresearched. The cost is about dead even I say. The only thing that most miss out on is high power LEDs have about only 5 years of high power output in em, but the savings of bulb and power over 5 year I think typically makes LEDs and HID in sthe same playing field pricewise. I mean a new bulbe every year with HPS add up to alot, so as you know, LEDs avoid that nicely. But yea, alot just can't handle change, and I don't kow why, nothins different except the erie purple glow in your grow room which doesnt need any crazy ducting to keep heat down.

blancolighter said:
And ya know, the more problems I have with my HID, the more I think I might get another LED system in the future. Like when my 600 w HPS bulb blew up a few weeks ago, the almost convinced me to go all LED.

Yea when people bring up cost, its so unresearched. The cost is about dead even I say. The only thing that most miss out on is high power LEDs have about only 5 years of high power output in em, but the savings of bulb and power over 5 year I think typically makes LEDs and HID in sthe same playing field pricewise. I mean a new bulbe every year with HPS add up to alot, so as you know, LEDs avoid that nicely. But yea, alot just can't handle change, and I don't kow why, nothins different except the erie purple glow in your grow room which doesnt need any crazy ducting to keep heat down.
It's funny you mentioned your 600 watter taking a dive, I had a defective 150w hps in my micro-veg tent crap the bed and I replaced it with an extra ufo I had. As I was replacing the unit in the 2x2 tent I immediately noticed the change in the atmosphere, I never thought the 150 was hot- but I'll be damned if the plants didnt perk right up little leaves splayed out beautifully-pics to follow- when the ufo was over top of them.My apartment felt cooler, the walls in my bedroom where the tents are against.I had to hook a cool tube up to my 250 watter-I recently moved to a apartment from a house, thats when I started taking leds seriously.To be honest the only reason I'm still rocking the 250 is that it hasnt warmed up yet-it gets hott in the city- so I'll be switching to one tent with about 500w led and various strains of lowryder-another underrated product.I'm just happy I did the pure led experiment to prove to myself that the things work-man, I was sweating that one.I did the math, the first run, I didnt even load the box up to half it's capacity.I got 3 dry oz-pure led, double that we have six right? Now increase the verticle, the original plants were 18" at the tallest (pure led) add another 6-8 inches, maybe a foot, and another 280 watts. With a little speculation you can see that 8-9 oz in a 4 sq ft tent 4 feet high-may, and I say may be possible.For me it's either that or go hit the streets to pick up a couple 20's. They dont sell quarters around my way lol. Just from what I've seen saturated with led- the plants stay so short and stocky, at first you think somethings wrong, then the development comes, and fast. It's literally and figuratively a cool way to grow. This is a very very stoned bf74 signing out. If you actually read all this, thank youlol-rant done

Reddy Kilowatt said:
I have thought about placing the LEDs in a tube appropriately sized to the size of the plant.

Line inside cardboard tube with mylar.
Drill holes in tube. A symmetrical pattern evenly space
Place cap with hole pattern on top.
Add venting for air movement.
Keep the heat of the power supply out of the growing area.
LEDs inserted in to holes and wired from the outside of the tube.
Place tube over plant.
To keep LEDs close as possible start flowering immediately.

You would need one for each plant.
Could be cone shaped.
Probably cost too much.
dude, why not, I mean the amount of light pumping into the plant would be theoretically unequaled. I dont doubt someone will come up with something like that-basic led theory-keep em as close as possible. I like the idea of keeping the power out of the growroom or in my case-tent-3-90w ufos stayrelatively cool but I keep a crazy amount of air blowing through the tent. Do you have any ideas on how to hook up the power for this rig. That would be one hell of a project.I wish I had the technical knowledge to undertake it myself. Food 4 thought eh?

Dont know if they work or not but I do know your plants look very nice my friend. Thanks for sharing. :D

Latest posts

Back