Beginner Grower Needs All the tips i can get

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkMousey

Reaction score
Sup yall im a first time grower i have grown a fully mature plant about a year back then but my roommate threw it out and tired to grow it outdoors i couldn't find it anywhere i bet it's a big *** tree right now somewhere in the country blah i didn't brother with it cause my roomate got us kicked out cause he ...EDIT...up it's long gone now :eek: *sigh* but i decide to start all over again i have no idea what im doing but i got the basic concept of how to grow a plant lol

my set up is revently free i didn't pay for anything i grabbed what i could around my house to grow it if im doin anything wrong please point it out for me and if i can make it better please let me know any tips is greatly appericated

first i germination them using a tupperware and 3 paper towels on the bot and 3 paper towels on top im always keepin it wet everyday with warm spring water that i drink every now and then i leave the spring water in a cup so it can reach the room tempature i also use that water to water the plants

and next i got 3 seeds they were my first seeds to germination i got them growing in a small plastic cup with some they start to sprout im only on my first week i wanna make sure my efforts doesn't go to a waste here it is

i use a table lamp i hope that would works its a 90 watt light blub :D yea like i said im just using household items after a few days i decide to just germinate all seeds as you see up there in the tupperware knowing i won't be able to put them all in that small cup so i came up with this idea i have already planted 5 seeds that already germinated im waiting on the rest so i can plant them as well tell me what yall think and give me some pointers please :hubba:

220003207173_0_1.jpg

220003233413_0_1.jpg

220003254021_0_1.jpg

220003269125_0_1.jpg

220003307781_0_1.jpg

220003332485_0_1.jpg

wallace.jpg

Looks like you'll be needing a lot more light for that many plants, and all the plants need ta be in separate containers, best to do it after they sprout so the roots don't get fissured into the soil, or perhaps you were planning that anyway? i havent a clue, but its a DAMN good start, how many lumens is that 90 watt putting out? I've never seen a 90 watt CFL fit in a medium based socket lamp before.

We'll i guess its just a 90 watt light 'bulb' then. But its common knowledge that incandescent bulbs don't work for growing, or perhaps you didn't know that iron lotus? So CFL's have many shapes and sizes, i don't see your argument on how it "doesn't look like a cfl". SO naturally since he 'typed' he grew before, i would assume he's using the proper lighting. Plus he also typed: but i got the basic concept of how to grow a plant lol. But I've never been to Spain before either so perhaps it was a CFL, i was a gentlemen and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Now i know you might of missed where he 'said' CFL, well that's because he didn't 'type' it, so i guess that means you got a good grasp of the obvious there

actually i checked the light blub it was only 40 watts and then i changed the light blub to a 60 watt one should i use a 100 watt light blub or what i don't understand what you mean by CFL?

and no i wasn't planning that why do they need to be in separated containers?
what's wrong with having them all in one container?

sorry im a noob when it comes to this

after only few hours it seem to be sprouting fine

should i have the light on 24/7

hehe.jpg

Roots will grow way to big. Each plant will be well over 2 feet tall unless you plan on micro growing. There is a bunch of threads in here to help you out. If I were you I would do some serious reading and searching. CFL compact florescent light. search, you can't grow using a regular light bulb. It gives out the wrong spectrum for plants. Also what kind of soil are you using, what is the temperature of the room, venilation? if any? are you going to use HPS(High pressure Sodium) Lights or CFL(Compact Florescent Lights) How many plants do you want to grow, think about space, each plant will need atleast a 1 gallon bucket 3-5 gallons is more appropriate, but if space is an issue, like it is for me, I am using a 8" bucket, but LST and topping my plants also starting them on a 12/12 light cycle earlier to make them smaller. There are three stages of growth, 1 germination, 2 vegitation, 3, flowering then you have the harvest, etc etc. during vegitation, which is after the seed has sprouted you are going to want to have a light cycle of atleast 18/6 (18 hours of light, 6 hours of darkness) some people will recomend 24/0 for vegitation, which is what I am doing. When you switch the light schedule for flowering, which standard used is 12/12 but you can get away with 13/11 but this makes it so the plant starts going into flowering stage and starts to show sex. You can do this anytime you feel the plant can handle it, but it wont start showing signs of sex unless it is mature enough to do so. Good luck man and read read read. A lot of people in here can help you.

Im pretty new, but i really have a good grasp on what i need to produce a good yeild, its not optimum conditions, but it will work[my setup that is]

i would recommend watching these videos http://marijuanapassion.com/Growing_Marijuana_Videos.html
and reading alot of first time and beginner grow journals for knowledge and isperation...

but like everyone else said read, read, read. and im not sure but i think floro is the cheapest way to go and you can pick them up at your local home depot or walmart.

floros are florescent lighting. cfl i think stands for compact florescent lighting. MH is metal halide, hps is high pressured sodium i think...

and you can use anything really to grow in, your local plant,nursery or hydro store should have some cheap grow bags, or you can use old 5 gal buckets, most stores throw these out so go dumpster diving or just go in and ask if there done... but make sure whatever your using had proper drainage. and some where to drain to not just on your floor...

dont hesitate to ask qustions we are here to help!

buddy hatchet said:
Im pretty new, but i really have a good grasp on what i need to produce a good yeild, its not optimum conditions, but it will work[my setup that is]

i would recommend watching these videos http://marijuanapassion.com/Growing_Marijuana_Videos.html
and reading alot of first time and beginner grow journals for knowledge and isperation...

but like everyone else said read, read, read. and im not sure but i think floro is the cheapest way to go and you can pick them up at your local home depot or walmart.

floros are florescent lighting. cfl i think stands for compact florescent lighting. MH is metal halide, hps is high pressured sodium i think...

and you can use anything really to grow in, your local plant,nursery or hydro store should have some cheap grow bags, or you can use old 5 gal buckets, most stores throw these out so go dumpster diving or just go in and ask if there done... but make sure whatever your using had proper drainage. and some where to drain to not just on your floor...

dont hesitate to ask qustions we are here to help!

i didnt even read the post above myn i just seen that this dude needed help, and when i was done writing it i realise they where almost the same lol. i shouldnt have took that extra vike =/ darn back pain. or smoked that dube, and i should have went to bed before 5in the morn...

micro growing? i'll have to do some serious reading into that, and as for CFL i'll go to the store and buy some will they work well with a lamp and i seen others buy a bathroom light with 3 sockets i might buy one and use that on my large tupperware i got gonna design a set up gonna do some more research into that thank you bro and to answer all your questions

the soil i have no idea what kind of soil i just found it with some other plants it wasn't being used and i just found it lying around the house sometimes my girl put in fake flowers in it just for shows i figured i could use the soil

and What would u reccommed i use HPS or CFL? i want to grow enough so i can be high when i want to im tired of buying if ya catch my drift

i want to know when and how much to water the plant when it's in it vegitation stage how many weeks will it be in it vegitation stage and how do you know when it gets into it flowering stage? guess imma gonna read all week there's soooo much reading to do thanks bro

proper drainage?! what the @#$% your talkin about man this is harder than i thought are you sayin i have to put holes in the bottom to ensure it drains the water i feed it? or what?

i dont believe im experienced enough to recomend a lighting but i hear hps is best for flowering that it produces the best yeild and denser buds. and a couple holes in the bottom for drainage, i forget why drainage is important, i just know it is... maybe to avoid salt build up? can any one help me out here lol??

i think you can buy hoods/reflector and floro-grow bulbs at your local wal-mart. im not totally sure i havent went and bought myn yet ive just been reading alot, and have seen alot of setups..cant wait to get myn going.

also you said it was used dirt? but if it was only fake flowers tech its not used, but for future ref you never want to re use soil for a plant,again i forget why i just no its not good lol.

im only semi useful this late.

well your helping im just like you your telling me what you know every little piece of information is helping by the way the videos are helping alot metal halide is good for vegetiable growth but the problem is i don't feel like seting up such a big area for the lights to get proper amps and such so im gonna try few different things i got a small area no room for all that lights im gonna experiment with what lamp or set up that i can use for those type of lights

and if possible you won't happen to know anything about micro growing?

hey dark mousey you will need drainage holes so the roots dont drown and suffocate ,,you will be able to grow very well with cfls ,,,especially if its going to be a micro grow ,,,when you havnt got the height to let them grow verticaly you can gentley tie them down (lst) check out some threads on lst also if you dont want them to get to big dont veg them for very long and look into getting some auto strains that dont get to tall :peace:

no, i dont know anything about microgrowing. i see your in spain though. they dont have walmart theredo they??? . glad i could help.

Growers Resources <--- "click"
from reading your posts, I suggest you spend a few hours at that link.. ;) Lot's of 'good' basic information that you will need.. ;)

If you dont have a lot of space, you are going to want to use CFL due to the heat the other lights produce. CFL's although they don't give off a lot of lumens (light that the plant uses) they don't produce that much heat, there for you can put them close together and in a small spot and not have to worry. And they are good beacuse you can keep them on 24/7 and not have to worry that much a bout moving them away from the tops of the plants. CFL's need to be 3 to 4 inches from the top. Since they don't output a lot of light, the plant needs them to be right up close, but not touching, if the plant is touching, it will burn it. HPS is for flowering, but I havn't had a chance to experience with HPS. Like I said my growing area is built small. I am using 4 CFL lights, I have about 3,000 lumens in the box that I am growing in. I am using 8" pots for now, if I have to upgrade to a bigger space, then I will drop them into a 2 gallon bucket, but I am hoping that will not be nessecary. Also soil is very important I suggest you read up on what kind of soil you are interested in using. I am using MG organic Choice, but I wouldn't use Miricale Grow if you can avoid it. Get Fox Farms or Ocean Farms, thats what all the experienced growers like to use. Although I havn't had any problems with the soil I am using. I know you are trying to do a cheep grow, but inorder to make bud you gata spend some $$ if you get my drift. I would go with CFL and atleast a 3 feet wide by 3 feet tall space. I would also only do a max of 5 seed/plants because this is basically your first knowledgable grow, and if you are going to be using nutrients, you are going to want to just take things slow. So, 5 plants will be plenty of work for you bro. Trust me. As for putting CFL in regular lamps, yes they will work, but my experience with them is they burn out within the day. I used a desktop lamp, somewhat like what you are using, I never took the side reflector off, and I think that was my main problem. I am using Florescent tubes, which are working fine. My plants are nice and green and they seem to like their set up. Good luck bro, and don't feel scared to ask questions, even if you think they are dumb.

all right thanks for the advice guys i changed my grow set up i took your advice and decide to just grow 8 at a time i still got the other in germanation im gonna experiment with different types of soil so i got 6 is Micrale grow and the other 6 that i'll soon plant will be fox farms or ocean farms i'll get that soil tmw afternoon or whenever i have the time to so tell me what ya think of my new set up now

p.s. i got proper ventation YAY the water came thur the soil and went down on the tupperware ^.^

new 1.jpg

new 2.jpg

new 3.jpg

i found some fertilzier however u spell it it's 36-6-6 is that too much for the plants will it give a lil too much nitrogen and kill them?

you wont need fertilizer right now, especially if you are using MG, that soild most likily has auto release feed, which means its already giving your plants nutes as you water it. just let em grow, and read before doing anything. They can do the rest for you. Just show em love and they will return the favor.

Latest posts

Back