Casual Grower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCre8or

Reaction score
Hi all, I posted this on the Introduce yourself forum and thought I'd give it more visibilty here. ANY advice will be helpful!

HI everyone

I'm new to the forum and to growing. I've kept a regular garden on our deck for a couple of summers now. This spring, we happen to have bought a bag with some seeds [and we fellt like we were in high school ] and on a whim I tossed the seeds into some pots along with the rest of our garden. Of the 5 seeds I planted, 3 germinated, and only ONE plant survived and is still growing today.

It looks strong, still vegetative. I'm hoping it's a female. I can't tell yet.

Anyway, i didn't really plan on growing the plant and am not sure what to do now.

If it's a male, what should I do with the plant? I know typically I would yank it to keep it from pollenating the females, but I have no other plants so that won't happen. Will it produce anything worth smoking?

If it's a female, when should I clone it? Cloning seems like it will be my only option, but I don't want to get into the business of growing. I don't have the space for an indoor garden. Will one plant provide enough for occasional smoke (once or twice a week) through the winter? How long does it take for a clone to flower? Will I be forced to have many clones through the winter? Without the space, this seems unacceptable?

Thanks for the help!!

for the question about what to do with the male, you might either just want to crush the stems and leaves and smoke it, which my friend does, or make hash. hash would be the better idea in this case, but it takes work

for the question about cloning, im pretty sure you take clones nearing the end of the flowering stage, as to let the plant take in as much sunlight as it can for as long as it can; but im not totally sure about that.

keep blazin

noodlemasterr88 said:
for the question about cloning, im pretty sure you take clones nearing the end of the flowering stage, as to let the plant take in as much sunlight as it can for as long as it can; but im not totally sure about that.

Dead on about males and hash but....
Sorry man..but cool for tryin as far as cloning. ;)....longer in flower harder to root. As soon as you can take a cutting. Put it under a CFL bulb screwed into a lamp (adjustable desklamp works great) if you don't want to spend more than 5 or 10 bucks. Just put them into a cup of water. ;) Takes time to root tho (few weeks). Leave the light on 24 hours a day or 18 hours on and 6 off with a timer. make sure the water doesn't get light creates an algae problem. That is about the cheapest and easiest way to propagate if you do not want to get into cloning gels, soil, humidity dome, DWC cloners, or aero cloners.

BTW wal-mart and k-mart have a cheap "architects" lamp with 3 pt. adjustment....puts the light right on the tops without wasting light. about 10 bucks or so. stash it in a closet or cabinet easily and put in a 23 watt daylight CFL ;)

Thanks for the tips guys. I was reading about the cloning gels and peat pellets and that doesn't seem overly complicated to create a clone. If it's a girl, I'll clone her as soon as I can tell and then will keep a simple soil based system in my office with that desk lamp and the 23 w CFL as suggested. That shoulld hold me over unitl spring (maybe after a couple of clones) where I can bring her back outside.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back