CFL's daylight or bright white ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSki8950

Green is the new black
Reaction score
i went to a local store looking for cfl's .. they had 3 different kinds .. im just startin a new grow and i know i need lights that give off blue light in the spectrum chart ... i think anyways ... but they had daylight and bright white and another kind that i forgot .. i was wondering what to use .. i thought i should use the daylight cfl's so i bought them but now im not so sure ... im sure someone will set me straight ... thanks

BSki8950 said:
i went to a local store looking for cfl's .. they had 3 different kinds .. im just startin a new grow and i know i need lights that give off blue light in the spectrum chart ... i think anyways ... but they had daylight and bright white and another kind that i forgot .. i was wondering what to use .. i thought i should use the daylight cfl's so i bought them but now im not so sure ... im sure someone will set me straight ... thanks
What you are looking for are the cool white CFL'S if i'm not mistaken. Here is a link to a thread Cyberquest posted about CFL's. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8581

:D

well cfl technology is growing fast, even more so in the horticulture industry, i have even found new cfl bulbs capable of producing the same light as a 1500w MH:eek: and are only rates at 300w of power to burn;)

the daylight bulb should work great for veg growth, did it happen to mention on the package what the color temp was? ( 2700k-5000K) if not what was the company that makes the bulbs and i will find out for you what K it is. :D

i am the resaerch master ;)

yea i was lookin for the cool white cfl's but i couldnt find them at the home depot... cyber the companys name is n:vision ... they are 2 23 watt bulbs = 90 watts it says ... day light they are called ....there was nothin about the color temp .. thanks for the help guys

I read in some books and maybe even in here (don't remember), you should have a mix of cool white and warm white in the same quantity.
Am I wrong? :confused: :confused: I actually have a mix of those lights in my grow box....

your fime hemp o kitty, it is good to have a small mixtue of light, because even though the plants sensitivity peaks at 425nm in veg stage, its not the only light it uses. take green light for example, the plant does not absorb green light, BUT when that green light is reflected off its green leaves it creates a far-red color it can use. ;)

762148582304_4.jpg

n-vcfl1.gif

Spectrometer plot of an N:Vision "Daylight" 5500°K

CQ is right but 23 give you 1600 lumes ,26 give you 1750 lumes and personaly the best 42 give you 2200 lumes cool white

yeah but the 42w around here are like $10 a peice. i can get the 26w ones in four packs for like $12.

ok so am i alright with the day lights or should i go a diff route .. im just startin a new grow .... please let me know cyber .....

they will work, next time you are out, pick up a couple 2700k ones or warm white ones and put them in there with them and give them a nice mix of light.

thanks cyber .. im going try and get those 2700k ones and veg with them and maybe a warm white as well ...

cq i got 4 pack of 42 watt for $19.95 from target

brouli said:
cq i got 4 pack of 42 watt for $19.95 from target

damn thats a good price, i am gonna see if i can track them down on their website to add to my "cfl lighting 101" thread.

what color spectrum are they?

hey cyber ... i just cant seem to find the 42 watts just yet but i found some 30 watts called - Slyvania Daylight extra ... i think the color temp was 3500k .. let me know what u think

i just need a perfect set of blue and red spectrum bulbs and i think i keep buying the wrong stuff .. i read through ur cfl 101 and some of it i understand .. but how many 42 watts or 30 watt bulbs would i need ???

42w = 2600 lumens
26w = 1600 lumens

30w i will have to research for you.

so i need to know how big your grow room is so i know the square footage.

if its 4 x 2 for example, thats 6 square feet. for 6 sq ft you need 20,000 total lumens for veg, and 30,000 total lumens for flower.

can you order stuff off the internet? that might be your best bet. the 42w ones are a little harder to find sometimes. just remember all these bulbs you got so far will work, just getting them in there peak ranges for veg and flower will produce bigger results. they say a nice blend of the color spectrum is best for veg and looks like your finding different color spectrums so you should be fine man.

dont stress it too much, they will grow man. ;)

haha yea i know im stressin out about it .... well im startin my grow in a cabinet which im going to cut holes in and all of that .. i will give u the dimensions soon .... then when they grow 2 big for the cabinet im going to move them . i will be able to order from the internet soon .... thanks for your help ...

its prob 2 x 2 prob .. kind tiny but i just need it for about 3 weeks then i will find a another hidden spot ...

Latest posts

Back