Cheese

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost didn't post this pic -- look at this lame set-up -- IT SHOULD ONLY BE A WEEK OR SO -- i'M THINKING -- i NEVER GREW A MALE PLANT -- HOW LONG BEFORE POLLEN?

see how clumbsy I am :)

I just hope the boat doesn't start rocking. I had to top him to get him under the light:

100_1124.JPG

sweetness :woohoo:

collect that pollen but make sure to wash down that male's room and clean your self/clothes etc b4 you enter your main bloom room afterwards, else your selective breeding may become an accidental knockup! lol.

There isn't a lot of air circulation down there (unless I turn on a fan) -- I'm thinking the pollen should stay pretty much in that general area -- after I collect, I will most certainly wash down everything including me before I go in the tent with the girls.

Sounds like you got everything under control Hemper. I can see it now, Hempers' AK49...:)

I hadn't even thought of that -- have to be a name -- but it's just for me -- I'll call it #1 cheesepuffs :) or something.... Let's see it happen first :)

Peace

HemperFi said:
I don't think they are Hermies, Jack -- just males, and that's okay, now I have room to grow the rest of them :)

Thanks 7 -- or should I say "MVP" :)

Hi HemperFi,

they do indeed look like pure males as I can't see a pistil anywhere although it's difficult to really check em out intimately from pics?

HemperFi said:
I almost didn't post this pic -- look at this lame set-up -- IT SHOULD ONLY BE A WEEK OR SO -- i'M THINKING -- i NEVER GREW A MALE PLANT -- HOW LONG BEFORE POLLEN?

see how clumbsy I am :)

I just hope the boat doesn't start rocking. I had to top him to get him under the light:
pollen will be there in a week or so after the balls start to get bigger.

the ball will open up shgowing the nanners inside, they (inside nannaers) will sort of change color (lighter yellow, than the green they start out as) and then fully open and pollen will be everywhere.

i like to pick the balls right when they are about to open and rip a tip off the nanner and let the pollen flow out into a little vial, like the ones seeds come in. you have to be very vigilant though, checking multiple times a day cuase they can open in a matter of hours.

in the vials you can sprinkle the stuff on budsyou want to be seeded, then put the cap back on for storage to pollanate future plants.

Cool stuiff Hemperfi ya starting some new lines now hey
Lol
Satori cheese #1
Ak cheese.
My two cents worth anyways more room for the remaining as you did think it would get crowded so maybe time for some bondage.
T4

It's nice that you are around, Rockster. Thanks for keeping an eye on things. I was looking for pistils when I saw balls -- no pistils.

Thanks, Puff, this is all new to me. I have a little vial to put the pollen in. I think I read to take the female out of the garden, pollenate a branch, wait (how long?) spray off the plant w/ cold water and put her back in the tent -- is that about right?

It just ocured to me that at least 4 of my Cheese clones are male as well. I'll have to keep an eye on them -- I've lost track of what came from what plant. I spaced it when I transplanted them into the three gal pots. Ain't farming fun? :)

T4, you should know -- would the cheese crossed with AK be a good mix?

pretty much that is right, i dont remove anything anymore but the male, i shut down the cirulation fan and just pollenate what i want, noraml wait 12-24 hours and spray. i dont mind a seed here and there on other plants. this last grow i didnt spray at all, so far i found one seed on the other plants.

im really happy with the resin output of the "moms" some of the stickiest buds i ever trimmed and this is from an auto :)

Fruit Automatic by Dinafem, my new favorite auto, i thought nothing would beat Roadrunner, but they sure did.

actually about 30minutes ago i chopped the main "seeded" ones got probbaly 500 or so beans. going to grow a bunch of them, get a few more males of my creation and cross them again with the original, then repeat the process probably 2-3 more times.

also put in another order for the feb. promo and the great Dinafem promotion, going to try out the Haze Auto and Roadrunner #2, also grabbed one of the last Blue Fruit before deadstock

racked up 9x Critical+ freebies and Mini posters from going with dinafem this month, great deal. especially when you add it to the normal UFOs and the feb. promo freebies.

Also wanted to add some Las Vegas Purple Kush into the collection so got some "Sin City Kush" from Alphakronik Genes (Jackpot Royal sold out in a day after coming back in stock :( )

sorry for the ramble, smoking some kush i let go around 11 weeks and i cant function and get to talking lol

Hi HemperFi,

pollination is a very straight forward process and works so well that your main problem is separating the pollen source from your target females as pollen is microscopically small, it's like talc in consistency and is so fine it can be carried on air currents so try to have as much distance between them and don't have circulating fans running in the male room as they will blast all the pollen into the surrounding air and cause contamination for sure.

When a male starts to shed pollen I often bend it over and put a large clean sheet under the plant and tap gently and then the pollen falls onto the sheet and can be scraped into a pile and cleaned and stored for later use.

You must clean the pollen of any plant matter as male flowers are fragile and bits of them will be in the dust.

If you scrape a fine hair comb through the pollen it will pull most of the green matter out and use tweezers to remove anything remaining. This is essential as any plant matter left will add moisture to the pollen and be a possible mold problem.

When you have your pollen take a desired female and if pollinating only one branch it helps to put a plastic bag over the plant, make a hole in the bag and pull the branch to be pollinated through and seal with tape. It doesn't have to be 100% airtight but it will largely prevent contamination.

Dust the branch by applying by brush or you can put an amount of pollen on a sheet of paper, hold near branch and blow sharply and this will pepper the branch with love bullets nicely! :hubba:

Just put small amounts on the paper and do this several times from different angles. If you see the pic, this is a grow from a while back where I bagged the top cola's to protect them as I wanted them for evaluation purposes whereas the rest of the room was being subjected to a total pollen blizzard.

Once pollinated, leave for an hour although it actually only takes minutes for successful pollination to occur but that extra time will let all airborne pollen land and then spray thoroughly, allow to dry for a few hours and place back under your lights, job done.

The bath can be a good place to do it as you can wash it down easily and kill any remaining loose pollen.

I hope this helps and do please remember, no circ fans in the male room. :)

DSC_0006-1.JPG

Thank you, Rockster. You make it sound so easy. When you wash the plant down after pollenating, do you spray the cola you have pollenated or just the rest of the plant? I won't take any pollen into the tent -- I will take the lady I want seeded to the male plant and do the pollenating there and then wash it down in the shower before putting it back in the tent -- this is going to be fun :)

Peace

No idea Hemperfi it worth a try crossing anything ya have and then when its finished it a suck it and see thing.
Lol
T4

I guess preflower sex identification is beyond me -- I took out another male today -- that leaves 5 -- a real nice number for the tent. All the rest are showing female (I think).

I am having a stretch problem w/ the Satori. I left room in the cups to add soil, but they stretched up out of that as well, so I transplanted 2 of them into 1 gal. pots. I will stake them up if I have to. The 5th Satori seed is coming up, so that makes 100% germ for the Satori. I also turned up the variable ballast to 400w and hung a couple of CFLs over the other three seedlings. Perhaps more light will do the trick. I also had to change out the light in the tent. It kept tripping the breaker and going out. The new light is working fine.

There is some farming going on in the old boat -- I'm loving it :)

HF

well it is your second grow, preflowers can be tricky untill they really get bigger and you see the hairs.

after a few grows and more strains/ plants down you pick it up

One of the reasons I'm loving this "hobby" is because there seems to be something new to learn almost every day. Growing weed has been a wonderful education so far. And just like the smoke, the growing also alieviates bordom.I think the biggest reason we all smoke weed is because it stimulates imagination and opens windows in the mind -- so does growing.

Peace

HemperFi said:
Thank you, Rockster. You make it sound so easy. When you wash the plant down after pollenating, do you spray the cola you have pollenated or just the rest of the plant? I won't take any pollen into the tent -- I will take the lady I want seeded to the male plant and do the pollenating there and then wash it down in the shower before putting it back in the tent -- this is going to be fun :)

Peace

Hi HemperFi,

it should be fun and personally rewarding as it's nice making seeds and seeing the full life cycle of cannabis as nature intended.

Spray down the pollinated branch and anywhere else the excess might have landed but truth be known, once pollen has landed on something it tends to stick due to static electricity and so it's airborne pollen that is the potential problem.

But you say you are gonna use the shower which is fine and so if you pollinate there, leave an hour, spray, let dry and return to the grow they'll be nicely up the duff and with minimal stray pollinations but do expect the odd seed here and there in your virgin bud and which is no biggie.

After about 2 weeks you'll see obvious changes as pistils brown and wither and the calyxes start to swell and after 5-6 weeks you'll see the dark shells of the seed within the buds ( see pic with male flower ) and if left long enough the odd one will start to fall and actually root in the growing medium below.

The 3rd pic shows 2 seeds within one calyx, like 2 pea's in a pod and is a bit of a genetic oddity but happens quite often.

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0025-1.JPG

HemperFi said:
How long are seeds viable?
Years. I have 10 year old beans that pop after a bit of sandpaper. Been in a jar in the closet

Latest posts

Back