Cloning, first time...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova

Reaction score
I have browsed a few threads, read up on the bubblers and what not, but still have a few questions...

• I wanna clone before my plants before they develop their sex, which, from what ive read, is determined usually in the 3rd week of Veg. Is this possible to do? If it is, where should the cutting be taken from?
Right now it seems im only getting one good plant from each strain that i have planted, well its actually only one strain for the time being. Id really like to clone each strain out, to ensure i have enough plants growing so that i have better chances of getting a female, if i rely only on the one plant it can 50/50 male or female, id rather have the odds in my favor on this!

I've never cloned before, nor are my plants ready to be cloned, but i wanna do my homework first. Nornally i dont clone, but that was before when i was growin bagseed, now i have some wonderful strains growing.

Thanks for all the help guys/girls! :cool:

Nova

IMO you really should wait till your plants are sexually mature before you choose to clone so that way you can avoid haveing a room full of males. unless thats what your after i dont know, but when it comes to cloning there are many was to do it, but most of the best are simple. heres a good [thread=16508]thread[/thread] that has a good pic of where to take clones from a doner plant (thanks to mutt for the pic). and if you want to try the bubbler i have one in [thread=18928]indoor-cloning-trouble[/thread] and in that thread there is a link to the DIY for the thing. but really just a good cutting recut under water with a bit of rooting hormone and a rockwool cube thats been preped will do the trick too in a few days.

IMO you really should wait till your plants are sexually mature before you choose to clone so that way you can avoid haveing a room full of males
..but ..take a cutting ASAP,(as soon as you have lateral growth long enuff) label it to match the donor, put it under 12/12, and you will determine the sex before taking a "room full" of cuts. :)
or, my .."MO".. is to take cuttings, (at least 2 from each plant) root them while the "donors" are maturing. Once I've determined that I have at least one "clone" from each donor rooted, I flower the donors(plants from seed) to determine sex AND which specific fem's I prefer to keep as a long term Mother(donor)..

Sorry Hick, didn't look at it from the perspective of a big grow, only my small grow. i didn't want to have used space and have the plant to turn out male and then have an army of them and i guess when i made that post i was thinking micro not macro very interesting point too about how to make an army behind one

..I'm not sure that I see the relevance to the "size of the grow/number of plants" dubb'..:confused:
If you're waiting for plants to become 'sexually mature' to determine sex, it would "seem to me" that both time and space would be being wasted.
The sooner sex can be determined, the sooner the "undesirables" can be culled, the sooner the most desirable can be propegated.

hmmm i see the point your making and I'm not arguing it that is a great way to do this for my "area" i have a flower box(2'x4') and my prop table(1'x4') so space is tight and its my preferance to wait till i knw for sure that the she is a she before i clone then once i know for sure i do take a couple of cuttings and veg them back up while the donor goes in the flower box,but not till im sure the cuttings have rooted. looking at the way you have done yours is a more effective way and once i get the mess that i have sorted out (4 unknown sexes) im going to do this to determine the sex earlier it does seem to be more efficant than what i was doing. i have to count this one up to too many :bong: hits this a.m. wasnt thinking as straight as i can :stoned:

So i should clone before they mature to determine sex is what you are saying?

I really wanna make sure i get some fems, as right now i have about 1 plant from each strain, so id prefer to know im gettin atleast one good fem from each strain....so am i misinformed that sex is not determined in the 3rd week of veg, as far as stress on the plant and such?

I was always told to keep the plants basically stress free during the 3rd week to get a better ratio of females. Either way, id just like to clone each strain to ensure i have some strong fems to veg!

Nova

Kind of .."Six o' one, half dozen of the other"..dubb' . The actual time line difference is probably pretty small.

Nova said:
So i should clone before they mature to determine sex is what you are saying?

I really wanna make sure i get some fems, as right now i have about 1 plant from each strain, so id prefer to know im gettin atleast one good fem from each strain....so am i misinformed that sex is not determined in the 3rd week of veg, as far as stress on the plant and such?

I was always told to keep the plants basically stress free during the 3rd week to get a better ratio of females. Either way, id just like to clone each strain to ensure i have some strong fems to veg!

Nova
A contreversial subject nova. Some believe that sex is determined by genetics only, others feel that environment plays a crucial role. "I" think both probably play a part.
I'm saying that this is the way that I do/have done it in the past.

Celebrity Bob said:
Nova how are you 2 months old and already a senior member?

Good question bud, but i dunno, i dont pay attention to user titles....Im not necessarily an expert in growin, but i have done my homework and have had many successful grows, but i really have no idea!

Hick said:
A contreversial subject nova. Some believe that sex is determined by genetics only, others feel that environment plays a crucial role. "I" think both probably play a part.
I'm saying that this is the way that I do/have done it in the past.

So would you recommend cloning before maturity, or after the plant reaches maturity when it has alternating nodes? I have always tried my best to not induce any stress on the plants in the last 3-4 weeks of veg before puttin them undeer the HPS! From what I have seen, i always got better fem ratios than when i would transplant on the 3-4 weeks and wait for the sex to show itself under the HPS!

Thats why i am askin, is it better to take a cutting before or after maturity is reached. Id like to perpetuate growing the strain, females, without having to plant more seeds.

Nova

Latest posts

Back