Crash Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working from home today, so I have been doing everything telecommuters pretend they don't do. That is, I've done little work and spent my morning mostly in the garden and away from the computer. Of course, unlike other telecommuters I will actually (more than) make up the time.

So the little runt has finally come to the end. I took a close look at the main stalk and spotted lots of black looking spots of about half its buds. And there was some webbing in several places, though not like the borg makes. I thought I had better images than these which make it look less scary than it was.

runtharvest05.jpg

runtharvest06.jpg

runtharvest07.jpg

runtharvest08.jpg

I began cutting those parts off, then decided I didn't want to smoke anything from that branch, and chopped the whole thing off.

runtharvest04.jpg

From there is was an easy decision to harvest the rest of the plant, put it and me out of our misery : )

runtharvest01.jpg

runtharvest02.jpg

runtharvest03.jpg

It's about three ounces total. Would have been double that with the main stalk, but no thanks. I wasn't nursing it along and battling the borg for bud anyway.

I have two plants left in the yard. One of them is the other Early Miss auto, and is well into flower and mite free. The other is a THC Bomb in veg. So I will be able to grow up to three more plants outside. I did some creative tree pruning a couple of weeks ago, and now have an isolated spot in the yard for a couple more plants. I've had some other potted plants in the area for a while now, and the borg hasn't discovered them.

Going to germinate a Freak Show seed. If it turns out male, I'll start another. When I get a female, I want to try generating femmed seeds from her clone. Seems like an interesting next step in learning growing techniques, and there are no Freak Show Fem seeds available. I'm going to move the (sterilized) tent into the shop where I can flower the clones. The female will get to grow through the summer in the new spot I made in the yard, hopefully mite free.

Still planning lots of changes in the grow room, including filtered vents to block any future borg invasions. Have some work to do on the DWC bin as well. As bad a design as the current one is, I'm surprised the grow baskets didn't fall into the water. The are falling out, though. I have tie wire all over the place keeping the bud weighted plants more or less upright. I hope it all doesn't collapse before the end. More and more amber trichomes are showing up. Just need a couple more weeks, max.

The little bastards are back on the GSCs already. One of the top leaves had a web on the back even. I have a pneumatic mister I'm going to hit them with this afternoon. I can blast under the leaves with a high pressure water air mix, and maybe a little hand soap and neem oil. They better hide...

Water blasting is what I use. You have to do it every other day for a couple weeks to get rid of them but it works. Had them on a tomato plant and in two weeks they were gone,,,,but I caught them early because I watch very carefully on all my veggies.

Water blasting is what I use. You have to do it every other day for a couple weeks to get rid of them but it works. Had them on a tomato plant and in two weeks they were gone,,,,but I caught them early because I watch very carefully on all my veggies.

If I had a drain in the floor, I would definitely be water blasting them. Mist is the best I can manage under the circumstances. Of course, it's mist from a 75 PSI air nozzle. Blew a couple of leaves off before I decided to turn it down from 150.

I put a no-pest strip in the grow room 18 hours ago, turned off the vent fans and side light, and dimmed the main light enough to keep the temperature under 90. It was actually 84 when I got home, so I can afford a little more light next time. RH was 76% which is worrying, but hopefully OK for short periods?

No bugs anywhere. I checked many leaves on and off the plant. There were some eggs, but no bugs. And no powdery mildew from the increased humidity. The pest strip seems to work as advertised. I will do it again Saturday night to hopefully kill the new hatchlings.

Of course, now I'm on the hook to keep them going for a few days after I put the strip in there to make sure any residue has fully broken down. Rinsing the buds at harvest time was a given the first time I sprayed soap on them. Speaking of soap, I will hit them again with it tomorrow, and maybe some neem oil on Saturday.

The plants outside gave up a few more leaves to the search for mites effort, and I saw none. I think they like their evening hose offs. I don't even wrap the pot in plastic anymore, just spray them where they sit. They are all drinking so much water a little extra isn't going to hurt them.

So no mites were found on any plant, weed or veggie. My tomatoes had (emphasis on had) some leaves with brown spots and black dots on the back. I dunno what that is, but it isn't spider mites. They will get a more thorough hosing off tonight anyway.
I've used the strips to eradicate an exceptionally bad infestation of dog pecker gnats. Worked like a charm with no ill results. Thank Buddha I've never been attacked by the Borg.

Always loved our Friend Arty
As long as the FO has his shit together. Sometimes friendly fire ain't friendly.

Working from home today, so I have been doing everything telecommuters pretend they don't do. That is, I've done little work and spent my morning mostly in the garden and away from the computer. Of course, unlike other telecommuters I will actually (more than) make up the time.

So the little runt has finally come to the end. I took a close look at the main stalk and spotted lots of black looking spots of about half its buds. And there was some webbing in several places, though not like the borg makes. I thought I had better images than these which make it look less scary than it was.

View attachment 297484

View attachment 297481
View attachment 297482
View attachment 297483

I began cutting those parts off, then decided I didn't want to smoke anything from that branch, and chopped the whole thing off.

View attachment 297485

From there is was an easy decision to harvest the rest of the plant, put it and me out of our misery : )

View attachment 297487
View attachment 297488
View attachment 297489

It's about three ounces total. Would have been double that with the main stalk, but no thanks. I wasn't nursing it along and battling the borg for bud anyway.
There is absolutely no reason you can't use the ones you don't want to smoke to make butter or tinctures. The decarbing process will take care of any borg or borg eggs. Eating bugs? You do it every day. That, and rat feces.

I see amber! Took forever to go from clear to cloudy with all the bug damage, but suddenly I'm starting to see amber trichomes. None this morning, and maybe 2% tonight. When it gets to 5%, chop chop. I feel like going at the grow room with a flame thrower!

I made a video, but it turned out really dark and useless. The air powered mister looks really impressive with leaves getting blown in all directions from the underside and water dripping from everything. RH was over 80% when I finished. Unfortunately, a couple of hours after I hit the plants with it, I found two spots on several leaves. I want to blast-mist everything with alcohol, but I think that would dissolve the trichomes?

On a side note, no bowls smoked tonight. My daughter got her law degree from W&M this afternoon. There just isn't a better high than being a part of that.

I see amber! Took forever to go from clear to cloudy with all the bug damage, but suddenly I'm starting to see amber trichomes. None this morning, and maybe 2% tonight. When it gets to 5%, chop chop. I feel like going at the grow room with a flame thrower!

I made a video, but it turned out really dark and useless. The air powered mister looks really impressive with leaves getting blown in all directions from the underside and water dripping from everything. RH was over 80% when I finished. Unfortunately, a couple of hours after I hit the plants with it, I found two spots on several leaves. I want to blast-mist everything with alcohol, but I think that would dissolve the trichomes?

On a side note, no bowls smoked tonight. My daughter got her law degree from W&M this afternoon. There just isn't a better high than being a part of that.
Congratulations on your daughter’s degree Crash 💕

All the sprays, predators, washings and fans have had their toll, but the bugs still have a foot hold. I think I could have managed it a lot better had I kept them groomed. More importantly, I have six plants in a bin probably ideal for no more than four, and it's stuffed into one end of a pretty narrow (34") grow room. I don't think I could have pruned the three back ones without damaging the front ones.

Anyway, they are almost ready. As bad as they look I think I could keep this going for quite a while longer if I had the patience for it. I have a busy summer planned and next weekend may be the only time I have to do a proper cleanup without stretching it out, and working on it in the evenings. So the big chop is Friday or Saturday depending on when the wood is delivered for our crumbling deck.

So the leaves look terrible with mite bites, calcium deficiency and a little light burn, but the plants are still extending upward toward the lights, and the trichomes are still intact. They are still drinking water and consuming nutrients as well. My little bug farm is about as healthy as it could be under the circumstances. If there were a market for mites, I would be set for life : )

leaves01.jpg

True story... My wife and daughter vacationed in Australia when my daughter was 11 (I was stuck working on a contract with a short deadline). After petting some Kangaroos at a zoo, she discovered kangaroo on the menu in a restaurant. She returned home a freaking vegan and stayed vegan for 7 long years! Not a fan of kangaroos : )

Latest posts

Back