Custom Nutrient Mix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova

Reaction score
Since becoming a member on here i have learned a vast and broad spectrum of knowledge. One of the many questions i had when i first started growing was how to make my own nutrient mix. MJ plants arent a one-size fits all kind of deal. Each plant, or strain, has their own dislikes and likes. I am gonna show you how to mix up a basic nutrient package. From these packages you can modify them to meet your specific needs.

First you are going to need to stop by the hydro store and pick up a few goodies. All together they shouldnt cost any more than $60, but it depends on the prices where you are at. Most of this should last your entire grow, depending on how big it is. Buy big if you can, if not, dont worry about it!

• Ancient Organics Bat Guano 10-2-1 (Water Soluble)
  • Hydro Organics Primal Harvest Flowering Mix 0-8-1 (Water Soluble)
  • Potassium (Water Soluble)
  • Mycorrhizae (Beneficial Micro-Organisms)
First we take our Bat Guano and sprinkle about 1/4 cup (8 tsp./40ml) around the base of the plant.

After that its nutrient mixing time. You can mix the bat guano into the water feed, but i feel its easier to apply it dry to the base. It also allows you to customize the nitrogen delivery for each plant, bigger plants need more nutes, this allows you to compensate for those champion plants.

Mix....
  • 2.5-3 tsp. of the Hydro Organics Primal Harvest per gallon of water. (That would 3.75ml per liter for our metric peoples!)
  • Then mix in 1 tsp of Potassium per gallon. (That would be a 2.5ml per liter!)
Now stick your hand, or something else if you want, in it and mix it all together. The water will look like muddy water, and wont smell very good either. Make sure it's mixed good!

Now go water them ladies!
That nutrient mix is just a basic mix setup, again modify it for your own needs. Plants in flower will require you to use very little or no nitrogen at all depending on how far along you are into flower. Plants in the vegetative stage will use more nitrogen and not as much potassium or potash.

Next we will use that Mycorrhizae you bought. This is great stuff. This stuff breaks down nutrients in the soil and makes the nutrients readily available to the plant. They are micro-organisms, they trade off with the plant, in exchange for breaking down the nutrients, the plant gives the organisms a carbohydrate for energy. Just follow the directions on your bottle, or if doesnt have any, follow this...

Put 1-4 holes around the base of your plant, about to the middle of the pot or container your plant is in. Next measure out 1tsp or 5ml and put it in each of the holes and then cover it up.

Don't be afraid to test new things with this recipe. The best part of this mix recipe is that all of the ingredients are water soluble. So if you see some nutrient burn on the plants, it's easy to flush the soil and start again fresh.

Another good source trace elements and nutrients are used coffee grounds. Just take your used coffee grounds from this mornings coffee, and sprinkle it around the base of the plant, and water as normal!

Hope this helps everyone enjoy a successful grow!

Nova

Latest posts

Back