Cuttings - HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camcam

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday morning I took 25 cutting off my 6 mother plants, all my mother plants are really healthy they are about 7 weeks old on 18/6 cycle and 3 feet tall, when I took the cuttings I did everything by the book and I have been this morning to check on them and they have fell to the the side (wiltering like mad).

I used clonex gel on them and they are under a 600w hps which is in a cooltube about 3 feet away from the cuttings, I use PH-ed water only at 6.0, is this normal for the cuttings to be like this or am I over reacting as it's only been 24 hours. This is my second time taking cuttings and I dont know all that much, the 6 mother plants I have were cuttings I took 7 weeks ago and turned out fine.

I will take some pics later as I forgot my camera today.

Thanks in advance....

You should expect some shock but that light sounds a bit loud for cuttings. Can you shade them or put them under flouros? I hate to keep harping about massproducers cloner but it really works well and for under fifty bucks light included it really really works well :p

You dont need that much light for clones, also they often will wilt over but should perk up.
Keep your medium wet at first and they should perk up.
What clonning method did you use?

camcam said:
Hi all,

Yesterday morning I took 25 cutting off my 6 mother plants, all my mother plants are really healthy they are about 7 weeks old on 18/6 cycle and 3 feet tall, when I took the cuttings I did everything by the book and I have been this morning to check on them and they have fell to the the side (wiltering like mad).

I used clonex gel on them and they are under a 600w hps which is in a cooltube about 3 feet away from the cuttings, I use PH-ed water only at 6.0, is this normal for the cuttings to be like this or am I over reacting as it's only been 24 hours. This is my second time taking cuttings and I dont know all that much, the 6 mother plants I have were cuttings I took 7 weeks ago and turned out fine.

I will take some pics later as I forgot my camera today.

Thanks in advance....

A couple of things that may be the cause:

1. Cuttings should always be between 3 and 4 inches long.

2. All but 2 or 3 small leaves should be trimmed from the cutting. This helps the cutting by not making it support it's own foliage more than necessary and it will respond by growing roots faster and becoming healthier. The cutting only needs a small amount of foliage to gather light while rooting.

3. The cut should be made at a 45 degree angle with a razor blade. The cutting should be put under water and cut a second time with the same 45 degree angle. The does several things; It presents the largest surface possible for uptake of water. The sharp cut is easier for the plant to heal. The second cut below water prevents an air embolism that can prevent water uptake.

4. The light on the cuttings should be at least 3 to 4 feet above the cuttings and no heat from the light should be detectable at the level of the cuttings. Only a very small amount of light is needed on the cutting for it's first few days. Any light that is too close or too hot will cause a severe reaction of wilting and possibly cutting death.

5. The proper temperature for cuttings is around 75F-80F. Any cooler or warmer will cause a slowing of the cuttings response to healing and root growth.

6. No nutrients, repeat, NO NUTRIENTS at all should be introduced to the cuttings. Using a rooting hormone is suggested and preferred. A rooting hormone that also has an Anti-bacterial in it is also preferred and will help ensure your cuttings health.

7. A 24-36 hour wilting should be expected for all your cuttings. This is normal and the cuttings should pick up well after that amount of time, providing that the above steps have been followed. Lights that are too big and/or too close, temperatures that are too high, straight cuts on the clones or "air" cuts can all cause seedling failure.

The problems is I only have 3 600w hps lights and I have just spent £300 on upgrading the room - cooltubes, extraction, soil, bigger buckets and nutes things like that, I have 2 600w lights running at the minute, 1 light for my 6 mother plants and the other light is for 7 plant what I did from seeds what are about 10" tall and the cuttings I could higher the light up if that would be better?

The method I used is off this site:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Making_Clones_From_A_Marijuana_Plant.html

My cuttings are also in rockwool.

POTUS said:
A couple of things that may be the cause:

1. Cuttings should always be between 3 and 4 inches long.

2. All but 2 or 3 small leaves should be trimmed from the cutting. This helps the cutting by not making it support it's own foliage more than necessary and it will respond by growing roots faster and becoming healthier. The cutting only needs a small amount of foliage to gather light while rooting.

3. The cut should be made at a 45 degree angle with a razor blade. The cutting should be put under water and cut a second time with the same 45 degree angle. The does several things; It presents the largest surface possible for uptake of water. The sharp cut is easier for the plant to heal. The second cut below water prevents an air embolism that can prevent water uptake.

4. The light on the cuttings should be at least 3 to 4 feet above the cuttings and no heat from the light should be detectable at the level of the cuttings. Only a very small amount of light is needed on the cutting for it's first few days. Any light that is too close or too hot will cause a severe reaction of wilting and possibly cutting death.

5. The proper temperature for cuttings is around 75F-80F. Any cooler or warmer will cause a slowing of the cuttings response to healing and root growth.

6. No nutrients, repeat, NO NUTRIENTS at all should be introduced to the cuttings. Using a rooting hormone is suggested and preferred. A rooting hormone that also has an Anti-bacterial in it is also preferred and will help ensure your cuttings health.

7. A 24-36 hour wilting should be expected for all your cuttings. This is normal and the cuttings should pick up well after that amount of time, providing that the above steps have been followed. Lights that are too big and/or too close, temperatures that are too high, straight cuts on the clones or "air" cuts can all cause seedling failure.

1 - A: They are.

2 - A: There is only 2 to 3 leaves, like you said.

3 - A: Thats what I have done.

4 - A: 600w HPS @ 3 feet way in a cooltube, no heat at all.

5 - A: Temps are 24.7 Celsius (75 Fahrenheit)

6 - A: I have used Clonex gel with no nutrients at all, just PH adjusted water to 6.0.

7 - A: It has only been 24 hours.

I think am doing it right then, thanks for the help...

camcam said:
The problems is I only have 3 600w hps lights and I have just spent £300 on upgrading the room - cooltubes, extraction, soil, bigger buckets and nutes things like that, I have 2 600w lights running at the minute, 1 light for my 6 mother plants and the other light is for 7 plant what I did from seeds what are about 10" tall and the cuttings I could higher the light up if that would be better? My cuttings are also in rockwool.

It would be better for your cuttings to have less light. I use a 150 watt HPS with a defusing lens for my cuttings with great success. I keep it at 12 inches from the tops of the cuttings. I also use a cloning machine that holds 20 cuttings. I usually get 19 of 20 with 12 inch roots in 15 days.

You can use "Cheese" cloth over your cuttings to filter the strength of your light if the temps are ok. Secure it well to prevent it falling on your cuttings.

camcam said:
It has only been 24 hours.

I think am doing it right then, thanks for the help...
You're very welcome, camcam. The cuttings *should* pick back up within the next 12 hours. I would suggest shading them some. The amount of light you're using is pretty intense for cuttings.

Good luck to you!!!!

POTUS said:
You're very welcome, camcam. The cuttings *should* pick back up within the next 12 hours. I would suggest shading them some. The amount of light you're using is pretty intense for cuttings.

Good luck to you!!!!

The problem is my grow room is 30 miles away and I work full time, so I don't have alot of time to go out and buy things. As a quick alternative could I higher the light to say 5 feet? would that be better?

camcam said:
The problem is my grow room is 30 miles away and I work full time, so I don't have a lot of time to go out and buy things. As a quick alternative could I higher the light to say 5 feet? would that be better?

Yes, it would. Would that then affect your other plants in a negative manner, or can you adjust things so that everything is ok?

im curious, why ya want it cloned? if ya look for more buds, what about thc itself?

jarrett.simmons said:
im curious, why ya want it cloned? if ya look for more buds, what about thc itself?
clones are genetic "duplicates" of the donor plant.. female clones WILL be female plants exactly like the donor.
there are many many advantages to clones..

Good luck cam..all i can add is be "patient"...I still have a hard time cloneing..but have done it..but know that "patients" is a big factor..Good luck on this..when I took my clones they fell overand lade down..then the next day they were standing at attention..i use clonex as well...are you going to use a humidity dome?..Thanks for shareing

POTUS said:
Yes, it would. Would that then affect your other plants in a negative manner, or can you adjust things so that everything is ok?

I have 3 lights in my grow room, I will sort it so nothing will be affected in turns of light hight.

Thanks for yout input....

i would have to agree with everyone 600s on cuttings is too harsh thats like standing in a microwave, get your self some flos for cuttings

KAMSAI said:
i would have to agree with everyone 600s on cuttings is too harsh thats like standing in a microwave, get your self some flos for cuttings

I do agree, but I have just spent £300 on the grow room and I don't have endless amounts of cash, however, on the next harvest I will get some better lighting for clones.

P.S I am going to check on the cuttings tomorrow morning and I will post some pics and progress of them.....

Thanks for all the input and the proper lights will be bought on the next run..

i use a little tiny cfl for cloneing and i mister them abt 4 times a day for the first week helps lots.

Latest posts

Back