Fighting Fungus Gnats with Tanlin Liquid Concentrate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn1985

Reaction score
In my last 3 grows, I've had problems with fungus gnats. I use Roots Organic soil, and I've read posts on various grow forums where people have reported that Roots Organic has a lot of fungus gnats.

This grow, I've used Tanlin (liquid) concentrate to treat my watering solution once per week, and I've had no problems with fungus gnats at all. It kills their larvae in the soil before they become adult flies.

TanLin is DE( diatomaceous earth) in a liquid solution

ozzydiodude said:
TanLin is DE( diatomaceous earth) in a liquid solution

Is DE the stuff you mix into the first couple of inches of topsoil?

yes
safer is a brand I see in all the stores around here

ozzydiodude said:
yes
safer is a brand I see in all the stores around here

TaNlin concentrate sure is expensive. 20 ml cost me $45 on Amazon.

How much does DE sell for?

hxxp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZP7LFA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i use a mix of happy frog and roots organic, i just ran into the same problem this summer with fungus gnats, never got too bad. this run i started by potting up my soil mix and pouring boiling water through the soil, yeah i know rinses out some of the goodies in the soil but it kill any insect and eggs in the soil, 3rd degree burns on something that small, say good bye lol, so far so good havnt seen anything at all movin around and its been a few weeks.

I just had fungus gnats and gnats (or fruit flies?) and I tried three different things: fly strips, apple cider vinegar, mosquito donuts. The strips caught a lot of gnats, apple cider vinegar didn't do anything and didn't hurt using mosquito donuts in top of soil to kill larvae. I was also thinking of using Nematodes. I think I got the flies within 3 weeks but mold killed my entire crop so...

Latest posts

Back