First grow - Afghan + Sativa - advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorn

Micro Queen
Reaction score
Ok this grow was started in the middlie on july from seeds. 3 plants germinated; 1 Afghan and 2 easy sativa. The first pic is of them is at 3/4 weeks - unfortunately the sativa on the right, Ginny, turned out to be male.

So now we have one easy sativa the one on the left, and one afghan on the right. The afghan was quite bushy but has unfortunately suffered some stretching at the beginning of flowering.

They have been flowering now for 4 weeks on sunday. However, the first week was stunted due to light leak which was resolved by moving the plants.

They seem to be doing well - lots of white hairs, but some of the lower leaves on the sativa have gone brown and curled at the ends (as shown in pictures) and one of her upper leaves in yellowing (as can be seen in the second pic).

The afghan's leaves have started curling slightly at the sides, as shown..

They were quite damp yesterday, so i'm leaving them be for now, incase it was over watering. They are under CFLs (unfortunately I do not have room or money for anything more), and in soil mixed with perlite and vermiculite, on 12/12 and are being fed a NPK solution of 16-10-27. The pH was just above 7 - it always has been, but I was going to try and lower it with the next feed/watering, incase it helped.

Any advice welcome, thanx :rolleyes:

July041.jpg

July009.jpg

July001.jpg

July003.jpg

July005.jpg

July006.jpg

Looking good mang. What are your temps and how close do you have them from the lights? You should also try and get that PH down to about 6.5 ;)

They are only 2-3 inches below the light - I try the keep them as close as possible. Temp is hovering around 18-20 C - I have a heater in the room. I have one fan circulating air.

Yea man i'm on it with next feed :D thanx for lookin

Ok no change in the leaves and I pulled off some of the dead ones around the bottom..just hope this isn't anything more serious..

Looking Real Nice Thorn!!
Good Luck On The Sativa Mine Out-grew A Six Foot Area. I Transplanted Outside And They Died. :fid: We Had Rain For A Week After I Transplanted. I Think They Drowned.:spit:

:aok: NICE LOOKING SETUP YOU HAVE :aok:​

Cheers man, I've decided to flush them through slowly this week with just distilled water with added lemon juice to lower the pH, as I think a nutrient solution I used last week raised the pH. Some of the leave are more brown now, but just gonna flush and see how they go.

I was growing them in a space of only 1m height.. but soon realised they were gonna boost out of there as soon as they went into flowering time! They have as much space as they want now :)

its too bad you cant up the lights! those ladies would love to soak up some sun

Yesterday I trimmed the fan leaves off the ladies so that the light can get to the lower branches. Today i watered them with distilled water mixed with lime juice to lower the pH (this took several attempts as I botched it) and they seem to be doing ok.

Will upload some pics when there's more of a change (their lookin a bit bare without the leaves!) and hopefully more bud..

Heres some new pics of the ladies that I just took. Sorry the quality is crap, i was usin my old phone.

I'm hoping their gonna bud up a bit more soon, but have a nasty feelin they won't :confused2:

oct.jpg

oct2.jpg

oct3.jpg

Whats up Thorn. Trimming off fan leaves is a big no no as they are being used by your plant. In the future no more trimming. As far as your buds fatting up not sure. How many lights and how many lumens do each of your lights put out? You should have atleast 3,000 lumens per square foot of grow space most go for 5,000. ;)

I've only got 2 20W CFLs not sure what lumens they give out, but i really can't afford to get anything else :S

Didn't know that about fan leaves, I thought it may help as there wasn't much light at all getting to the lower nodes.

The afghan started showing thc glands on the top a few days ago.

Thanks for your help man.

That e-bay light would help alot, and the price is spot on also. I have just replied in another thread that was looking at the same light, lol. And also, cfl's are pretty cheap bro, thats all i use, simply for the fact that they run cooler, they use less energy, and are readily available at any local store. I am currently running eight of these bulbs and have not seen any increase in my electric bill. I also went through the house and replaced most of my other bulbs with cfl's at the same time, maybe thats why i saw no increase.

Thanks man, yea i replied to ya in the other thread. I should be around half way through flowering now, but their not the best lookin girls!

Ok the plants have been moved (yet again) but are ok. I've just bought the 150W HPS so am hoping that'll come in the next few days and then they can finish off just nice.

The pH is still a little high although I don't want to give them anymore water, as the soil is very damp atm.

Slight update just incase anyone's watching. The plants are officially at 7 weeks flowering today, but remember that forst week was a bit messed up with light leaks.

I did manage to get the 150W HPS lamp and it is brilliant but by the time we'd had it delivered and set it up it didn't make any difference to bud growth. So my girls have very little bud, but its ok as its all trial and error and to be honest smoking anything i've managed to grow is amazing!

Heres some pics, sorry i couldn't be bothered to move them out of the grow space. The last pic is a bit blurry and is of the Afghan. The other one (sativa) is looking alright, but i'm not really sure when to harvest them. They smell sooooooo good! :) Afghan's pistils are startin to look nice and brown..

Image003.jpg

Image001.jpg

Image004.jpg

hey Thorn, ,just found the thread man,give them some time with the hps and you'll see how they love that light:hubba:,you still have time to get your sativa buds fattened,good luck with your ladies man:D

Cheers Jash.. yea the hps seems to be doing them so much good. Will keep u updated!

maybe that afghan will go a little longer too, did you sort the yellowing leaves on the sativa, it looks similar to what was happening to a few of mine inthe early days of vag, they only needed a bigger pot and they were fine, maybe if id thought of it a little earlier, i would have saved the 3 i lost lol.

great looking plants there THORN, keep it up man,

Yea I cut the leaves that were going yellow and also the biggest ones to let more light to the lower buds .. at the time i didnt realise i shouldnt have done that. But have had no other yellowing since apart from the leaves right at the bottom.

I'll take pics of the when they reach 8 weeks, and see what everyone thinks.

Latest posts

Back