First Hydro Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZzILikeBudzZ

Tru Toker
Reaction score
Well, I have been a member here for a while and I have been meaning to post a thread. When I decided to switch to hydro, I figured nows the time. I have been growing in soil for quite a while and I thought it was time for a change. I decided to build an EBB and Flow system. A 600 watt hps with a 6" vented hood. I'm going to add co2 next go around. The tank holds 18 plants for a sea of green. At the moment they have been going for 4 weeks total. 1 week veg. and 3 flowering. First of all I have to say hydro is the way to go. The time cut alone is worth it. Not to mention the up keep is so minimal, at least the EBB sys. is.
SN150355.jpg SN150356.jpg
The day I put cutting into tank.

SN150606.jpg SN150608.jpg SN150612.jpg
Start of week 2 one day after I turned lights to 12/12

SN150661.jpg SN150663.jpg SN150664.jpg
Start of week 3 They are still under the hps I am just getting better at using my cam. if you were wondering.

SN151571.jpg SN151589.jpg SN151595.jpg SN151599.jpg
Start of week 4 flower production has started only about 4 weeks to go on these ladys.

I will also post some pix of the mothers soon. The grow I have going now are all from the same mother. She is an hybrid 75/25 indica/sativa. I created myself. I will be updating as much as I possibly can, I'm usually pretty busy.

SN150355.jpg

SN150356.jpg

SN150606.jpg

SN150608.jpg

SN150612.jpg

SN150661.jpg

SN150663.jpg

SN150664.jpg

SN151571.jpg

SN151589.jpg

SN151595.jpg

SN151599.jpg

Well, now that I know how the pic posting works on this forum I will do a better job next time.

For your first hydro grow I must say the plants look awesome. Did you run into any problems? Also what are you feeding them? Good luck and keep us in the loop when you have time.:D

snuggles said:
For your first hydro grow I must say the plants look awesome. Did you run into any problems? Also what are you feeding them? Good luck and keep us in the loop when you have time.:D

I really didn't run into any problems. A side from learning that you should never veg. in hydro just go straight into flowering. The plants will at least double in hight in the first week or two of flowering. The use flora nova nutes. For both veg. and flowering. They sell a bottle for each. That stuff is the best has every micro nute you need and is good for both soil and hydro. A one quart bottle of the stuff weighs about 3LBs. But never add more the max just the one under that which I think is 2 teaspoons a gal. I also add Super thrive to the water every other week. Super thrive is insane when you add that stuff you really notice. The US department of Agriculture uses it and it only takes a drop a gal.! I unlike most change my water every week rather than every two.

I don't think you should be using superthrive more than a couple times max per grow.

you can start doing damage if you keep using it...and it's damn expensive cuz it's so powerful... 1 drop/gal MAX period.

I only use it once a grow... in the beginning of veg stage when you wanna start a strong root base... then as a boost later on, I use a seaweed based home-made fert (made by my buddy) as an added boost.:hubba:

That crazy vancouver guy said:
I don't think you should be using superthrive more than a couple times max per grow.

you can start doing damage if you keep using it...and it's damn expensive cuz it's so powerful... 1 drop/gal MAX period.

I only use it once a grow... in the beginning of veg stage when you wanna start a strong root base... then as a boost later on, I use a seaweed based home-made fert (made by my buddy) as an added boost.:hubba:

Thanks for the info man. I usually use the superthrive on my mothers after I clip cuttings. It makes them go nuts. I just figured I'd use it eveyother week or maybe monthly in the res. It's all trial and error. I also add it to my spray bottle to water my poppies. Now those things are hard to grow!

Very Nice Setup. Hope u dont have problems with ur plants stretching too much, I can relate. Anyway Goodluck with everything. Peace

Well, I wanted to add pic of my mothers to show. I decided to do just that and also show a lil' of my setup and the mothers to be. In the first pic the one on the left is the mother I used this time. The one on the right has been my experimental mom I have done lots of tests with her. The second pic is also the mother from this grow. The third pic is just showing the two different rooms I have set up right now one with a 600 watt hps for flowering and the other a 400 watt mh. conversion. My cloning station has a 125 watt growlux cfl made for vegging. The last set of pix are my biggie smalls I ordered from Dr.chronic. It is supposed to be a very high resonating hard hitting indica. I am really looking forward to it, I love a good indica.

Edit: I just wanted to say the pic of the set up is before I added the door and the fan/duct to the hood in the flowering room. Also wanted to say what a difference it was to add that fan to the hood. It was about an 8 to 10 degree drop. And I can keep the light very close to the tops with no burn. So those of you out there looking to get a new hood or even your first set up go for a vented hood.And get a 6 or 8in if possible. I went with the 6 myself, 8in fans get pretty expensive.

SN150669.jpg

SN150613.jpg

SN150359.jpg

SN150666.jpg

SN151357.jpg

SN151358.jpg

nice setup you got going on there... expecting to see some nice turnouts :D :hubba:

luck, bro...

well it's the start of week 5 and I have some new pix to share. I have been really happy with the way things have been going.

SN151933.jpg

SN151937.jpg

SN151938.jpg

SN151953.jpg

SN151930.jpg

SN151940.jpg

SN151945.jpg

Sweet man, those are some NICE looking plants!!! I know nothing at all about hydro growing as i'm a soil grower, but i may just keep an eye out to see how this turns out :D

How tall are they at now? So is that week 5 of flowering or total? cos u only had 1 week veg right?

Thorn said:
How tall are they at now? So is that week 5 of flowering or total? cos u only had 1 week veg right?

They are at the start of week 5 all together. They rang from 2' to 2'8"(which is right in my hight range) because I don't have a light mover.The light mover is now my next investment, I was gonna buy a co2 gen. But as most know co2 is a big help but not necessary provided you have good ventilation.

yea man i never even thought about gettin a co2 gen cos my grow space has always been in my bedroom - safest place for me, so we spend a lot of time around the grow and the plant(s) can feed off our co2 breathing :)

They are pretty decent for 5 weeks man! Mind you i'm doing 12/12 now from planting/seed and this plant has grown so much faster than when i did 18/6 veg period.

I just started some from seed in 12/12 they should pop up today I'm growing them in very small containers just to see what I can get out of them. I have some extra space in my flower box. I plan on putting a shelf in there for them. My flower box is 4x4x8, I love my closet lol.

"They are pretty decent for 5 weeks man! Mind you i'm doing 12/12 now from planting/seed and this plant has grown so much faster than when i did 18/6 veg period."
One big thing I have learned in my years is that they seem to try to make up for the short veg period. Realistically the first week of flowering is a week of very rapid last minute vegging.

Well guys it's the start of week 6 and things are looking really nice. I know I have said it many times Hydro kicks a**. I have yet to run into any problems. The only thing is I wish I had a light mover, especially in a SOG. And for the record I have never seen plants grow as fast and healthy as with this flora nova I use, No bloom boosters needed.
Edit:I had to through in a pic of my guard lol

SN152111.jpg

SN152047.jpg

SN152116.jpg

SN152117.jpg

SN152107.jpg

fantastic looking ladies :woohoo: take it youll stay in hydro from now on :hubba: great set up you made good luck with the seedlings :tokie:

Latest posts

Back