First Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure either. I just know electricity is nothing to take lightly. If it gets ya, it might only take once. You should consult an electrician. I would add up all your amps ,so you have SOME idea, then find out what is needed to carry that load safely. Tell him you put in a clothes dryer,or tanning bed or something. I think Hammys' right about 80 percent but you'll want to make sure. You have a few more concerns than most ppl, being that you run everything off those 2 lines.
I don't know, we would hate to lose you now that your riding the right side of that learning curve.:D Be Safe brochinski.;)

I really don't think it had anything to do with the ammount of power I was drawing. It was basically aancient power cord just hanging loosely out into the weather. I am kind of proud of the way I put it back right. It'll be fine now. The other one will get done next month. The cord was 100.00 and the plug it sticks into was 75 dollars. It's a boat thing. And thanks for the "learning curve" thought. I'm a little stuborn, but I'm not stupid, and you people KNOW what you are talking about -- it's very obvious. I finally realized it was much better to go along and take advantage of the combined knowledge. Things are going much better now. You will see in a few days when I post more pics -- thank you'all

Make sure that you have a heavy duty enough extension cord to handle the load you are putting on it. If you are running over a distance, you need a heavier gauge cord. What gauge cord did you buy and how far is it running? The info with the cord should tell you the amperage it will run over different distances. This is critical to preventing fires. A cord that is too small a gauge will overheat, can cause a fire and can also damage whatever is plugged into it if it is getting too little amperage to operate correctly.

I'll be waiting for the new pics.

HemperFi said:
How many watts can I safely plug into each thrity AMP side of this boat? Does anyone know?

to be completly safe a 30 amp breaker should not handle more than 24 amps.

Yesterday the power was out for a couple of hours and the plants got real hot. Then last night while I slept the aircon froze up and they got real hot again -- and a little toasted, so I transplanted them thinking "what's a little more stress going to do to them?" Then I peed on them and gave them a cup of coffee and put them under the big light. I raised the light up to about 30 inches for a couple of days until they settle in. Okay, that was this morning. This afternoon I went to the mail and the clones from my cousin had arrived from Oregon. And 20 more seeds also came in the mail, so no matter what happens I will still be in the process of growing some skank. I got an AK-47 and a White Power, and they already have roots -- I stuck them in pots and put them under the CFLs. The babies look a little sad, but I believe they will come around. This is fun :)The seeds are called "Mountain Bud" and "Something Special." Labels, I need labels. I guess tape on the pot will do. Hope you all are having a nice day farming.

Peace

P.S. I didn't pee on them or give them coffee hehehe

Hahaha

Question on the electrical. What everyone previously said is true, and you need to take time to check the cord. Not sure how boats are wired, but you say 30amp circuit. 30amp 110volt circuit? Or 220v? If its 110 you can safely run 2600 watts total, 24/7 on each circuit.

ston-loc said:
Hahaha

Question on the electrical. What everyone previously said is true, and you need to take time to check the cord. Not sure how boats are wired, but you say 30amp circuit. 30amp 110volt circuit? Or 220v? If its 110 you can safely run 2600 watts total, 24/7 on each circuit.

Thanks man. I'll have to find out what uses what I guess. I still have the water heater to turn on soon, but I believe it can handle what I'm doing. She's a good old boat.

These clones I got today are exciting -- some quality strains. I was expecting a few cuttings in roottone wrapped in something. I didn't expect full on plants/w roots and already 5 inches high. He had their root balls still in damp soil inside of baggies ziptied around the stems. They seem a little stressed, but they look good. We will see.

Glad to hear things are working out. I wonder if there are some fail-safes you can build into your system, so you don't have 'surprises' . You can get shut off switches for high temps, i believe they might run 100+$ though. I'll have a think on what else you might do. You would hate to feel that you can't leave the boat or sleep without some part of the system breaking down. Your growing environment is very immportant, frequent changes might get you that much closer to Hermiville.
I'm sure there are some low-cost solutions that could help, let's see what others think.

I wld just be very conscious of the load you are drawing on each circuit....make sure your cords are in good shape, stay within the safe draw and you shld be fine. I think you probably had a cord that went bad over time and needed to be replaced. Probably wld hve been fine if you didn't pick up this lil hobby that requires a bit of juice....;)

No, don't want to break down in Hermisville. I'm headed for Skank City.

I do have a genset in the engine compartment that would help if it ran. It's on the list -- the list is long...

I was wondering if you can mix a batch of nutrients and then use them later, like the next day. Do they keep?

HemperFi said:
No, don't want to break down in Hermisville. I'm headed for Skank City.

I do have a genset in the engine compartment that would help if it ran. It's on the list -- the list is long...

I was wondering if you can mix a batch of nutrients and then use them later, like the next day. Do they keep?

Actually I believe it is good practice to mix them up...ph it and then let them sit to let the buffers do their work and then check the ph again before using so sitting overnight wld be a good thing. Jmo

Certainly, in fact you should be doing that as regular thing, as well. (IMO) They say that it takes 24 hrs. for your nute solutions to 'gel' together. There is a word for it. I mix mine in 3 gallon batches ,then when its like 1/2 to 1/4 full, i refill just to ensure consistancy. So its never a full 'new' mix. Anyway ,yes, especially if they are chemical based. I think some organics don't do well but for the most part, should be o.k.
If anyone knows better ?

Yes to chems, I don't know so much with organics, but I don't pre-mix when (and it's not often) I need nutes.

try - 5 -- Okay it looks like it is going to happen this time -- sheesh

100_0341.JPG

100_0342.JPG

100_0344.JPG

100_0349.JPG

What do you think? The ladies look pretty good after spending two days in the mail. I think.

Looking good,

Scary to see the damage though, when it comes to fire its best to be paranoid, thanks for the reminder im gonna go check a few things, its been awhile.:eek:

What i have done wrong so far:

over watered the seedlings
put them too close to the lights
dropped one
let them get way too hot

worried over them way too much

That's the short list, :)

toss in the wrong soil and the wrong lights as well.

All of which are mostly the same things we've all done. You can usually get away with quite abit, remember,......Nature is Cruel.
That WW is just beggin to get trained. Looks like she has some good shoots, although i've heard WW can be fussy with topping,or any cutting really. All seem to be healthy though. Peace

Latest posts

Back