Five Seeds, A Light, And A Closet. Any Advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonwolf

Unrepentant Hippie
Reaction score
To recap: My first ever was three plants in my closet using a DWC hydroponic system and a 400 watt switchable light. The harvest resulted in “buds” that were so dry, wispy, and devoid of THC that the whole thing was basically a waste, apart from the considerable educational value. My diagnosis (based, in no small part, on input from this forum) is that (1) I harvested too early and (2) my plants were burnt from being too close to the light.

I am getting ready to undertake my second attempt at this and wanted to share my thinking. I’ve got five seeds of Millennium bud left and am determined to figure out this whole cultivation thing. I would like to share my thoughts with you all and see if you think I’m on the right track.

Medium: I am going to try a soil grow this time. It seems more complicated in many ways than a hydro grow but I think the logistics of soil will work better, particularly since I want to try LST. (I’m trying to educate myself on organic soil growing in pots. Any resources you might be able to point me towards would be appreciated.)

Method: As mentioned, I’m going to try LST to keep everything short and squat and to maintain a relatively uniform canopy. I would have liked to try SOG and tried for an earlier harvest but my understanding is that growing from seed makes this inappropriate.

After this grow, I ought to have at least a couple of females that would be suitable for cloning. At that point, I’d like to try ScrOG perhaps.

Does this make sense?

worm castings are the only way to go if your going organic with the soil. soil is pretty low maintenence aside from things can get a tad dusty in your indoor grow room if your messy like me. I've never had an issue with soil as the only way I interact with it is by watering it (never water too much! I water my 5 gallon pot with a cup every few days. it looks great)

with SOG (or ScrOG) although ive never personally tried it, is relatively easy as you throw down chickenwire 8-12 inches above the top of the pot and watch the magic happen of horizontal growth to my understanding. you use known female clones in ScrOG because if a male seed pops up in your ScrOG 2 months down the line during vegging and the start of flowering, the intertwining of branches from the chicken wire make removing the male plant in time before it starts pollinating very difficult. you could ruin your entire crop with seedy buds.

here's a helpful introduction to ScrOG, there's other more technical ones probably somewhere (i think you would need either 1 or 2 inch diamter chickenwire not sure) http://www.420source.com/post/9

we have an awesome LST section here located in the MJ faq. should pretty much explain everything

Wanna make it easy on yourself get prepaired soil for you try Fox Farm Ocean Forest its awesome. Its got everything you need in it. I hate mixing my own soil it such a mess! SOG is easy you just plant your rooted clones in one gallon pots with some high phosphorus bat guano mixed in the bottom so when the babies are old enough they get a nice little boost haha. so you veg them short for about 5 to 7 days and then flower them. Just make sure you have a strain that is sutable for sog growing. For scrog you need to veg your plant longer to create a bush either by supercroping or topping them to promote the lower growth. then the chicken wire comes in and helps stabilize the plant. Ive never done scrog but it all depends on how many plants you want.

word. I got a 400w HPS organic closet thing go'n myself.. lots of trichs(white widow btw), 110 cfm exhaust w/ charcoal filter rigged up top. i also have 4 wallyworld flouro grow tubes for added blue spectrum cause the HPS is mostly red spectrum. im sample'n some of my first fruits right now and it is gooOod!
one gram lasts me as long as a $40 bag from the street would.
:yay: :yay: :yay:

Latest posts

Back