Growing Problems past the seedling stage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to stop cutting the ugly fan leaves off, then. I thought I was doing the plant a favor.

DWC = deep water culture hydroponics. The 30 gallon bin with a bunch of air stones all my Girl Scout Cookies are growing in. I'm now just calling it the jungle...

jungle2-jpg.294454
Those girls looks like they are hungry too. I wanna see leaves in the middle so dark they look blue! 😛almost. then I know they are ready for a switch

here’s some at week 8 running to week 10. The fan leaves on the lower part of the lollipopped branches that have no nodes are still dark and rich. The leaves on the same plant up by the buds are starting to get drained. You get the plant healthy and dark green and be nice to it, it’ll be nice to you. So many growers overdo it. I flower the last month on the lower end of ~650ppm but I veg up closer to 800ppm. Seeing them just go yellow on the fans at the end is perfect. No waste. Chlorophyll levels reduced, smoke is tastier…
8AD32114-F277-4242-9224-081C7ED23281.jpeg

1BC95FD8-A47E-4E4A-8C70-5938DF2A323C.jpeg

Last edited:
Those girls looks like they are hungry too. I wanna see leaves in the middle so dark they look blue! 😛almost. then I know they are ready for a switch

here’s some at week 8 running to week 10. The fan leaves on the lower part of the lollipopped branches that have no nodes are still dark and rich. The leaves on the same plant up by the buds are starting to get drained. You get the plant healthy and dark green and be nice to it, it’ll be nice to you. So many growers overdo it. I flower the last month on the lower end of ~650ppm but I veg up closer to 800ppm. Seeing them just go yellow on the fans at the end is perfect. No waste. Chlorophyll levels reduced, smoke is tastier…View attachment 294634
View attachment 294636

They're in flower, so I've been giving them less nitrogen and more of everything else (PPM ~900). They do look lighter than before, though. Maybe I should up the nitrogen as well? They have been growing so fast I've had to raise the light almost every night.

They're in flower, so I've been giving them less nitrogen and more of everything else (PPM ~900). They do look lighter than before, though. Maybe I should up the nitrogen as well? They have been growing so fast I've had to raise the light almost every night.
I keep pumping GH micro to about week 5-6 (almost all the nitrogen in the line) and transition higher bloom nutes in around week 2-3. When I cut micro that’s when they yellow

hm its affecting more and more leaves..many leaves showing small brown spots, but starting inside and not from the tips. Its in the upper leaves, theres also no yellowing of the tips, thats why i think its not P and not K deficiency.

PH fluctuations? possible..i try to mix it around 6, sometimes im a little bit off, but never in a drastic way. The second plantpot is unharmed.

another thing, i just studied the ingredients of my 2 component-fertilizer, its got 16% calcium and 1,5% magnesium per ml, additionally to its NPK and other nutrients. isnt that crazy? Just for comparison, my calmag supplement has 4% calcium and 1% magnesium. I guess theres no point using calmag anymore with that high concentration.
DSCI2280.JPG
DSCI2279.JPG
DSCI2278.JPG
DSCI2273.JPG

I have some very similar leaves on several of my plants, both the hydroponic and Happy From grows. I'm starting to think it's excess calcium. Seems like the more I give them the worse it gets.

youre sure its the same? also the upper leaves and not the lower? also appearing in flower maybe?

youre sure its the same? also the upper leaves and not the lower? also appearing in flower maybe?

There are some upper leaves and some lower leaves. It looks random to me. Brand new growth doesn't have any though. The second to last pick looks like heat stress to me, but I could be wrong.

and it appears in flower?

nah it cant be heatstress. Temp is never higher than 24C...also the neighbour plant is taller, closer to the LED and looks flawless. Like in your case, the small leaves on the very top are unaffected. Its really exhausting, there are so many possible issues with cannabis, the harder you drive it and the faster it grows, the more everything needs to be perfect.

From what i read, calcium overdose is rare. its hard to overfeed until youre doing something that is obviously stupid, like 10ml calmag per liter. Also, i didnt really change anything in a dramatic way. i changed fertilizers, yes, but already 3 weeks ago. And i very slightly reduced the Nitrogen component and increased P+K.

It must be something related to flowering stage, some changing demands. But the other pot is beautiful without any scratch. The plant in it is twice the size. It also consumes twice the water. If that large plant, with larger buds, hasnt any deficiency, how can the smaller be deficient in something? Nutrient burn also looks different in pictures, it starts at the leavetips. I reduced the light by 30% to slow all processes down a little bit for now. If i see it getting worse, i will make a flush and then feeding with only 50% strengh. Reboot. Only because i dont know better.

I went back out and took another look. You're right, the leaves on mine start browning at at the tips first. The reservoir for the GSC plants gets changed tomorrow, so hopefully it will just go away. The others I'm sure are from the Happy Frog mix.

this site helped me figuering out my phosphorus deficiency in veg...its a good start.

https://growingexposed.com/plant-doctors-diagnose/

you know what im letting the pot dry out properly now. I was told that overwatering can also cause these symptoms, it doesnt always have to be droopy leaves. My pot that houses 2 plants has no symptoms at all. How can that be when all are fed the same nutrients? Theres not a single brown spot on these 2 plants. They only dry out the pot way faster.

@Julie Y
it looks to me like the amount of light the buds get is on the lower side. Just by judging the size after 3 weeks and not seeing a light close by. I only have my own buds to compare. I know my average PPFD is about 800 umol...i dont have a PArmeter but i used the Photone app on the Iphone of a friend of mine. You can also use a cheap luxmeter, there are ways to calculate PAR from the lumens and the colourtone of your LEDS, They really need a lot of light now.
I use the photon app also but judging from the test I seen online I estimate it to be about 2/3 of actual reading on an android. Photon has much better results on iPhone.

this site helped me figuering out my phosphorus deficiency in veg...its a good start.

https://growingexposed.com/plant-doctors-diagnose/

you know what im letting the pot dry out properly now. I was told that overwatering can also cause these symptoms, it doesnt always have to be droopy leaves. My pot that houses 2 plants has no symptoms at all. How can that be when all are fed the same nutrients? Theres not a single brown spot on these 2 plants. They only dry out the pot way faster.
I'v noticed the males that I have seemed to use of water a lot faster than the females. I do not know why that is but I know that the male buckets get lighter a lot faster than the female buckets. That's just my personal experience on my first grow and I am doing the same thing, they get the same amount of water in the same nutrients at the same time.

I use the photon app also but judging from the test I seen online I estimate it to be about 2/3 of actual reading on an android. Photon has much better results on iPhone.
Hi all.... Here are todays photos. Overall tent view with the door open, tape measure from top of canopy to light, from light to top of tent, buds and leaves. Personally I think the plants look very healthy. Nice and green, no spots or shriveling so far. Buds are small but Eh... first grow and they were free seeds. If I get time I'll see if I can find any strain information on what I have budding (Shock Trauma and The Black.) I think I'm leaning towards a Sour Diesel and/or Lemon Haze grow next. I don't think I'm going to get much harvest. One plant was really old from a near-failed grown and it survived along with her brother (who was eliminated). There are 3 others (1 or 2 each) who were started a week or so later each time so they weren't the same age when I started the flowering cycle.
Top of canopy to light from tallest bud about 8 inches. Light about 14 1/2 from top of tent. I have some extra "S" hooks and am going to see if I can get 4 to 5 inches more clearance by raising the light. Should get a little more light spread to the edges of the tent and buds.
Gave them just water and Tiger Bloom yesterday. I have a little fan blowing today to give them some motion and fresh air. Temp stays around 70s (+ or - 3 deg.) Humidity varies-I open the tent in the afternoons and evenings for fresh air-humidity goes down a bit.
Will try another light meter program - iPhone wanted $5.99 per type of light it was measuring. I know I have the right type of light-interesting to get some light readings and start logging them.
On another note-started some bare root strawberries to add to the veg garden. Have herbs started too.
HAPPY GROWING!!!!! 👍 🌱🙃

Attachments

• 042322 light.jpg
    042322 light.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 042322 lighta.jpg
    042322 lighta.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 042322 lightb.jpg
    042322 lightb.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 042322 lighte.jpg
    042322 lighte.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 9
  • 042322 lightd.jpg
    042322 lightd.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 9
Might be time to start some creative bending and/or dimming the light some. But those buds look young. I'm sure they will get much bigger if you can keep them out of the light fixture : )

To get my light up as high as possible I just ran some electrical wiring through the clips on the light and over the top bar. It's not pretty, but I managed it without stepping on or otherwise crushing a single plant! I wish I had mounted the fan on the outside.

lightwire.jpg

Might be time to start some creative bending and/or dimming the light some. But those buds look young. I'm sure they will get much bigger if you can keep them out of the light fixture : )

To get my light up as high as possible I just ran some electrical wiring through the clips on the light and over the top bar. It's not pretty, but I managed it without stepping on or otherwise crushing a single plant! I wish I had mounted the fan on the outside.

View attachment 294829
I see....I had enough room to vent the duct from the top hole down the outside to the fan standing on top of the filter. then used the ratchets to hold up the light. I was able to raise my light another 4-5 inches on S hooks without bothering the fan outlet. I have some change ideas for next round. This was/is a good first run. 👍 ;)

I definitely made lot of mistakes setting up that tent, and plan to rework almost everything before the next grow. Probably put it off until the fall, and just grow autos this summer.

@Julie Y
why dont you upgrade your light? Theres still lots of time. Flower can take 9-12 weeks. It wont cost you much to take light to a decent level. Buy a cheap panel from Ali as addition to your existent one. You could literally buy e27 bulbs for 2-3 bucks each. the 1500 lumen ones...e few of them and cut off the diffuser. 2700k-4000k. Just get to 250-300w somehow.

another way would be use side walls. On your pics, it looks like your flowers dont use the complete space. YOu said you have 3x3? Looks like you have them in the cornor of your tent. In that case, put on side walls on the 2 free sides. use cartonage/thick paper, cover it with aluminium foil. Or use this reflecting things people use to protect their windshield from frost. Or an emergency-blanket. The smaller space you create, the higher the light levels you create, the bigger the buds.

and then for the next grow, youll just get yourself a second TS1000.

and about the Photone app: yeah, its 5,99. YOu only need full spectrum LED. ANd youll have to cut out a diffuser out of paper that has to be white 80g/squaremeter paper. Allthough there are enough tests online that tell you how much PPFD you have with your lamp in a particular sized tent.

@crash Magnet:
autos are not idiotproof and not always free of problems. When i ordered my seeds, i didnt know what i ordered. Now im happy it wasnt autos. Autos will just go into flower after a relativ short period of time, no matter how big or small they are. If you have a def. or some kind of problems, that throws their growth back..they will just go into flower while being sick or just very small. I find it more convenient to grow the perfect sized plant, make sure its healthy and then flip flower. Also they have additional "problems" on their genetics..creating fem seeds, autos, everything has its impact on the genetic of the plant and it never makes the plant healthier or stronger.

I will stay with the same strain, pots and fertilizer until im experienced with what i have.

27 days into flower things already getting really sticky and-glue like here...i touched one of that things yesterday and had to wash my hands...that smell is concentrated....almost like chemical warfare...this breeds today are no joke thats far from what ive had in my youth 20 years ago.

if i was a bug or a fly, id make a huge turn around this plants XD

Unbenannt2.JPG
Unbenannt3.JPG

Last edited:
@crash Magnet:
autos are not idiotproof and not always free of problems. When i ordered my seeds, i didnt know what i ordered. Now im happy it wasnt autos. Autos will just go into flower after a relativ short period of time, no matter how big or small they are. If you have a def. or some kind of problems, that throws their growth back..they will just go into flower while being sick or just very small. I find it more convenient to grow the perfect sized plant, make sure its healthy and then flip flower. Also they have additional "problems" on their genetics..creating fem seeds, autos, everything has its impact on the genetic of the plant and it never makes the plant healthier or stronger.

I should have said I was going to wait to rework the tent until fall and only harvest autos during the summer. I still have a couple of photoperiods I'm about to leave outside for the summer which should be monsters by the time I bring them back in to flower.

The tent is in my shop which I prefer to leave open and without A/C most of the summer. I sort of like the heat when I'm doing real work (as opposed to sitting in front of a PC writing code). But I would need to run the A/C constantly if I were flowering plants in the tent. It's really hard to justify the cost when I can get similar results with autos.

I've grown and harvested quite a few autos since I started. Also managed to kill my share with various errors in soil, nutes and watering! Until I put the auto GSC's in the hydroponics bin I didn't really consider autos as "part of my grow". They've practically taken over the grow room in barely a month, so I guess they count now.

When I was only doing soil or after switching to SIP and not checking the reservoir pH I'd get those weird brown discoloration and then the leaves would die. The pH would swing up 1 point or more per day depending on what phase the plant was in since uptake of nitrogen I think causes the pH to increase.

Anyways since I adjust the pH daily, I don't have any spots or any brown leaves and I'm just finishing week 7 of flower and am at 70+ RH and also at around 1400 ppm without any nutrients burn or anything.

When you aerate the water, CO2 comes out of solution and makes the water more alkaline, so you might have to adjust your pH daily like me.

So I just found north Atlantic seed and I got 5 fem regular whatever (5 of my preferred ones) and they added

5 regular watermon zum zum x og Eddy lepp critical auto x 2
Glue sniffer auto X2.
Zskittles regular x5
For $60

I got another batch for 5 fem seeds
Got another 5 regular zskittles
Runtz x zskittlez regular 5 seeds
G13 fem X2
Muchacha fem X2
Also for $60

Reddit reviews are good and I got a ton of seeds. If anyone wants to trade the regular seeds for feminized anything I'd be happy to. I don't have the space to grow regulars to figure out what's male or female

Attachments

• IMG_20220425_195926.jpg
    IMG_20220425_195926.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back