Hal's been busy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
umbra said:
Hey Hal, how is the soil /organic(?) compared to your hydro top drip? In regards to yield, ease of use, frequency of watering versus changing reservoir. Obviously you are still rockin, but does the soil produce a better product?

Whats happening Umbra!
Good Question man. I am usuing ProMix HP for the medium.
I really like the Pro Mix, and would not go back to top drip thru rockwool. I like it better because I make fresh nuits every feeding and can guage from looking at the plants as to what she needs. Top Drip only let me make a res every week and it fed daily, so there was alot of ph flux.
As far as yeild and quality, I would have to say pretty much the same, not better or worse.
I usually water the promix every 3-4 days usuing 7 gal grobags.

How much do you water a feeding?

i've always said bags are the way to go in effectiveness. (cost + time).

are you recycling your soil hal? be a shame not to really with the amount you use. just the save in one grow will be major. :) ever think about composting? i've been making my medium for two seasons, and it's so damned easy. i've cut cost by at least 1500 a season from buying organic blends like promix, ff, and ocean forrest and the likes. (thats on around 120-150 plants). three grows like that a season and your looking at a cool five grand back in hals pocket!:cool:

your grow is banging as usual bro. very tight, and crisp clean...peace...

Herm said:
How much do you water a feeding?

Around 150 gallons per feding every 4 days or so.

Whats happening Irish! I have thought about composting, but it was a brief minuate. I really don't have anyplace to do it, and the amount I would need is a little crazy.
I used 18 bags of promix for this run. It does suck, but I toss it after the run, and buy new. I know folks that recycle thier mix, but I ain;t with it, 'specially running chem nuits. I do have to give it more thought though.

I went to my room yesterday, and half the lights were off. The Helios 8 light timer went out, bad contactor. I had to replace it, but the girls only suffered a few hours of downtime, not too bad.

How many plants does 150 gallons cover? I'm just curious because this is my first grow with 8 gallon pots and it seems like I can water them FOREVER compared to my 5 gallon pots.

I also have two questions :hubba:

What kinda of music do you play for them ? Thinking in giving them some music for next grow :rolleyes:.

And a more serious one ... How do you mix the 3 parts of GH ? I'm not using Grow. Just Micro and Bloom. You said before that you know what they need by the looks. But if you use GH how is your ratio between micro/bloom ?

Thanks man

Herm, that feeds 82 plants in 7 gallon bags with about 20% runoff.

bho, thanks for looking. Haha, I havn't really left a fadio on or anything, I have thought about it, but just havn't done it.

GH. In flower, I too use just the Micro and Bloom, for the most part. My Grandaddy strain needs a little more N once in a while, so I add a little just for them.
In general, the for the Micro and Bloom, it is 2-1, with Bloom being more of course. So, somewhere around 5-7 ml per gal on Micro and 10-15 ml on the Bloom. I shoot for around 14-1500 ppm in full bloom.

On another note, I fried another Helios 7 light timer. The timer calls for a 50 amp 2 pole breaker, but internally, the contactor is only 40 amp. So, at 208v I was pushing 39 amps per leg, which would fry the contactor and trip the breaker. It made no sense to me to feed a device with 50 amps but have a 40 amp contactor in it. Killin' me.
I had to get a good old Intermatic T104 and wire up 8 of the lights myself.

I thought I would add that 400ppm of that is CalMag only. Very important.

Thanks NCH for the info. I also give Calcium and Mag. 1500 ppm is 2.0 EC :eek:. A little high value but your plants love it by the looks. All waterings with feeding ?
Full Bloom is what ? 4-7 week in a 9 week strain ?

Again thanks for the answers. Respect :aok:

bho_expertz said:
Thanks NCH for the info. I also give Calcium and Mag. 1500 ppm is 2.0 EC :eek:. A little high value but your plants love it by the looks. All waterings with feeding ?
Full Bloom is what ? 4-7 week in a 9 week strain ?

Again thanks for the answers. Respect :aok:

If the plants are uptaking well, then they get nuit feeding all the way thru, until the last 2 weeks. If I see a slowdown in uptake, then I will flush the pots until the runoff is at 700ppm or below, then I feed a light nuit mix until the next feeding.

Yes sir, more like week 2-7 full strength solution.

they look great hal...i knew youve been dealing with that legal ****.

i wish i could sleep good at night!! :p

great job and welcome back!

Can't be having this one the 2nd page. Have you ever grown with Organics Hal and if so why did you switch back to chemical?

I have never grown "true" organics, just pre made "organic" nuits, not composted soil mix.
I have ran Pure Blend for a few years, but switched back to GH because, for me, it is easier to address and resolve nuit issues if they arise.
Really, any nuit brand will work, if you spend the time with it. Time, and killing a few plants, or burning a few up. It just takes a bit to get a handle on any nuit line.

For me, GH works well for me. I have hit great weight usuing GH and have no nuit issues. Plants stay healthy and really love it.

GH is cheap too.

NCH, I want you to know I cleaned the heck out of my grow areas after seeing your beautiful pristine grow space. I thought of you with every dead leaf I picked up. Thanks for the inspiration in all areas.

Nice Rosebud! I love having a clean room. I have to give it up tho, my wifey does alot of the work too. For instance, after each click, she will cjange the carbon filters pre-filters. She buys the material at the local fabric store. Another item is she will clean all the fans too each click, you can feel the difference for sure.

Keeping it clean makes it very easy to spot any issues too. They stand out. It sure helps with pest control also.

I try to never have any leaves or any plant material just layin' around.

nice work hal & thanks for sharing your specs & quantities. def a full time job. no bloom enhancers?

Hal, How much hygrozyme do you apply and how do you know if you using enough or not?

Hal thanks for all this awesome info, That was the first thing I saw was just how clean your rooms are. Big part in wy the ladies look so good. Again thanks.

Thanks for loking Doc, yes, I must say I use Liquid KoolBloom and BudCandy. BC has even more MG, which they eat up during bloom.

As far as the Hygrozyme Herm, I use 8 ml per gal, everytime except during flush. I can't really tell if they need more or less, I just pretty much go by the bottle. It is VERY spendy, and if I am close to running out, I might skip the hygro a feeding or 2. I would have to say I use it on 90% of the feedings for sure.

I have to feed this morning, so I will try to take some pics. I have pretty much pruned them to my liking and they have stopped stretching, so it would be a good time to take some more pics.

I have the plant cam rocking still, but it looks like I will have to move it a little higher, to just right at canopy level.

Latest posts

Back