Home of the Old Fart's Club part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G'Morning, y'all! Pics of new GMC truck & one of the Spotted Sea Trout caught last week. We pretty much CPR (Catch Photo Release)
I have not learned how to fly fish or throw a barrel reel. Maybe if I find someone to teach me...

A couple of pics; our new GMC pickup & a Spotted Sea Trout from last week...
IMG_0180.jpg
IMG_0182.jpg
IMG_0180.jpg

I never had enough skill, imagination, or coordination to either tie flies or fish with them.

But back in The Olden Days, my Daddy taught me to tickle trout. I was 11, and there was a guy with creel, waders, fly-hat, yada, flipping a line in and out...

...Just as I got stone lucky and pulled out a really nice lunker from under an overhang rock. The guy stood there dumbfounded.

One of the very best fishing days of my life. 👌
I learned to finger fish the same way, never thought the trout would just hang out under the rocks and let themseleves be captured. Illegal to do in most area.

WTH?😳 Please explain.

Here's how ya do it. OBTW: This works for rabbits, too. Jus' a ole country boy who put dinner on the table often.

Find a hole in a tree where a squirrel lives. This is not as hard as it sounds. The same tree will produce squirrels every year. And there are holes just all over the place for squirrel nests.

When you have located a squirrel-tree, go find a small sassafras tree. Pull it up (save the roots, we'll come to that later) and cut off the branches so you have a single whippy-stick with a 1" fork in it. Sharpen the two points on the stick with your pocketknife.

You don't have to use sassafras, it is the best, though. Any 3' or so long, thin, live straight tree will do.

Take your stick-weapon over to the tree-hole. Stick in the forked end, pushing it down. Start to turn the stick around and around while the fork is down in there.

You will hear an amazing amount of actual growling coming outa the hole. After about twenty turns or so, get your pocketknife ready and slowly pull out the stick...

The squirrel will be all tangled up on the end of the stick by his TAIL. And thoroughly pissed! When he gets clear enough, pith him with your pocketknife.

Bingo. One UN-bulletholed squirrel for dinner.

Rabbits = same way, but in a hole in the ground.

Oh... PS: ALWAYS check the same hole for a second squirrel. You will get another one about once every 4 or 5 times. Bonus.

Two things more... I forgot about the roots. Take them home, wash them thoroughly, and cut them into 1/2" pieces. Put them in a small pot of water, and boil them.

You will smell sarsaparilla. Yup. Just add sugar and you have root beer. Chill in an icy glass.

For the other thing I forgot... I used to do a Steve Irwin-level trick until Herself put her dainty foot down. She laid a cold, hard eye on me (which feels as disgusting as it sounds) and told me it was verboten.

The new guys at the hunt club would think the other members were pulling the long bow, and so I got dispensation from my beautiful Scottish witch that I could do it one more time while they filmed it.

The trick: Many years ago, I discovered something neato about rattlesnakes: Just a split-second (about 1/5 sec) before they strike, they do a sort of frisson that you can see if you are really watching carefully.

You really must concentrate, because your reaction time is about 1/3 sec, which puts you at a really nasty time deficit if you do not have that hand moving the heck outa Dodge before he gets his head moving!!

I am the only person I ever heard of that did this trick: I would kill rattlesnakes with my Swiss Army knife. TINS. Using nothing else.

Sooo... there is the buzzer. Yer Unca would sidle up to it until my right leg was juuuust out of range, but definitely noticed by the snake. Then I'd bring my left hand quickly into range from the other side and yank it away again.

I'd do the approach-yank thing until I saw the frisson. That was my signal to swing my Swiss Army knife about a foot and a half in front of the snake as I drew my left hand away.

The knife would clock the buzzer right behind the head, and depending on the size, either kill or stun him. My largest rattler done thisaway weighed 22 pounds.

Here (I hope) is a still from the movie the guys made the very last time Herself let me do this. Note my left hand is blurred:

1597078283396.png

Now for: "The Rest Of The Story" -- The prohibition came because I was late pulling my left hand away the penultimate time I did this. The rattler got the top of my left hand with his bottom teeth, but I got my hand around his mouth before he could plant the uglies in me, and pulled him away. It wuz close. I guess I had lost a coupla hundredths of a second and it was time to retire.

Last edited:
UW, I used to bark squirrels when I was a young'un. If you shoot the branch just barely below their head while they're huggin' it. the concussion knocks 'em out long enough to pick 'em up by the tail and bat their heads against the tree. You don't want to hesitate 'cause if they wake up while you've got a hold of 'em, you'll need to count yer fingers.

Well crap Unca Walt,,i should of thought of that. I use to hunt squirrel all the time with a 22 long rifle. 1 shot one kill. I always threw a stick on the side if the tree they were hiding and they would move right into target. Always went for the head.
Hell ive killed several deer with a 22 long rifle with hollow points. Love hunting that way when i was a youngster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back