Home of the Old Fart's Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning O.F.C. ! --Ho ! Ho! Ho! -- is over now back to the important stuff -- I want my SEED !--

Yo Hippie -- always looking for the easy way !-- if I can buy 5 gals of denatured alcohol for $25-30 and do a quick process and use it for extraction there's no need for a still !--

good morning OFC. Got up early for 50% off candy . Tradition lol

Wake and bake is in order this morning in Curmudgeonland, go for it. Hope ya`ll got everything you wanted for Christmas, if not go buy it now, it`s on sale. Peace.

Good morning, Gents. Hope everyone got to spend yesterday with their loved ones and got a few goodies to enjoy. Judging by the boxes under the tree and one that was too big to fit, I'd say Santa is either going blind, getting senile, or just isn't watching as close as he used to.

We got just enough snow to have a white Christmas, but it's back to green now. The temps are great for my wallet, but any Michigander knows the longer it's decent in December/January, the harder we're going to get clobbered in February/March.

Only got two Black Light plants left, and every week I find another spot of that damn PM on 'em. Not sure if I want to finish 'em out or just hack them like the rest. I'm not starting any seeds until they're gone, and if I'm going to do another outdoor grow in the spring, I've got to get 'em started soon. Logic would say to hack 'em, but it's taking a while to work up to it.

Keef, I'm waiting for a critique on that project you've got coming in the mail. It sounds like it's a fast finisher, which is what we yankee growers need for sure. Might be a candidate for the Great Outdoor Grow of '16. I'm going with the Afghani for '15 (I think).

Hippie,
Don`t think too much or you`ll out think yourself. Think about it, think about it and think about it some more. OK ?
Watch`ya think ?

Hippie did U get that pic of my outside grow ? After hearing Giggy talk about turning the lights down on baby plants, it made me wonder what would happen if I threw a fistful of brickweed seed outside in a planter !- they up to about 6" and no sign of bloom !-- We'll see what happens ! Now back to mailman watch !

Howdy all!
Hey, whoever was thinking about trying to get the methanol out of denatured alcohol, DON'T!
Denatured alcohol can NOT be made nonpoisonous. It CAN be used in extractions, but you have to be VERY careful to get it all out. Just like the 91* rubbing alcohol. (iso)
Even redistilling it won't work cuz the denaturing agent they use is primarily Methanol.

OK, I'm getting ready to start an indoor grow in a soil mix.
I have a bag of FoxFarm ocean forest potting soil.
My question is, should I use the foxfarm soil for the whole 2gal. pot, or just the bottom 1/2 & the top half just regular potting soil?
I've never used the foxfarm before & wonder if it's too hot for young plants? I'll have room for about 2' tall plants after the containers & lights are added to the grow space.

the fox farm can be hit or miss with seedlings. sometimes its too hot and sometimes it seems just right. I would add some lime and worm castings to help buffer it a bit more.
Keef you can not separate ethanol and methanol.

Had to ask about denatured alcohol !-- No one ever answered my question about other liquid hydrocarbons like propane !-- Why must it be butane ? I'm not saying I have a plan but if I were to grind up a kilo brick for extraction -- I'm gonna need a lot of solvent !-- Started watching that Moonshine show to sharpen my memory !-- the alcohol for extraction can be sugar liquor -- When RWS ask what I'm building I need a story ! More research required before I go down that road ! They legalize weed and I go to jail for making moonshine -- Now would just be wrong !

O.K. been mulling it over !-- let me see if I got this right -- As long as I dry the oil under vacuum and remove ALL the alcohol then denatured alcohol seems to be the most economical way way to extract ! Another plus may be the water content of the alcohol . What % is denatured alcohol ?

Vacuum pump ?-- electric motor and an auto airconditioner compressor !- hook up to the suction side for vacuum !-- Cheaper and easier than a still ! Am I wrong ?

Keef you can not separate ethanol and methanol.

Sure you can! Methanol vaporizes at 148 degrees. Ethanol is higher. Looks like you're building a still, Keef! A pressure cooker adapted to the cause and a good thermometer coupled with a digital hot plate should do the trick.

That's what I love about the O.F.C Brain Trust !-- Hippie just confirmed that I can use denatured alcohol !- under vacuum in a water bath warmed to about 180 and the methanol comes off first -- and I do want to remove ALL solvent !-- See back when I was single I used to hang out in the lab with this gorgeous pair of twin lab techs !-- Good times but I learned a lot too ! Did U know about all the things associated with manipulating the benzene ring ? Wish I would have paid more attention to lab stuff instead of the twins !

Sure you can! Methanol vaporizes at 148 degrees. Ethanol is higher. Looks like you're building a still, Keef! A pressure cooker adapted to the cause and a good thermometer coupled with a digital hot plate should do the trick.

Yes fractional distillation works. Methanol was used as denaturing compound because it isn't easy or cheap to remove. I am not saying it is impossible to do. 1 of the first things that comes out of a still, is methanol because it evaporates at a lower temperature. It's more about it's toxicity even in trace amounts that makes it impractical.

I'm not talking fractional distillation !-- I'm talking using it straight up and removing all alcohol from the extraction via vacuum ! Then again I haven't explored the possibility of PET Ether yet !-- I hate being told I can't do something !-- In flight school they told us that Hughes 300 training helicopter wouldn't hover at a 1,000 ft. -- Thought it best not to correct them - but it hovered at a 1,000 for me!-- In School I was faced with having to take Microbiology as well as Anatomy and Physiology in the same semester !-- In my book there is always another way !-- One Saturday I went down and took the C.L.E.P. test and passed out of both classes -- 8 college hours in one day -- Boo-Ya !

ether is a great solvent. It is however a watched DEA compound. Back in the 70's, folks doing oil extractions used ether. Before Neville started breeding cannabis, he was in Holland making oil with ether. Of course it did not work out to well. The spark proof hot plate he was using sparked, and he blew himself up. 3rd degree burns @ 20% of his body. I saw the scars on his arms. Just be careful

What about using other liquid hydro carbons instead of butane ? I feel confident I can drive off the solvent without making boom !-- Why would U need a hot plate to drive off ether anyway ? Set the extract outside and the ether would be gone before U know it ! Using denatured alcohol seems doable too !-- just like a still -- U hit 180 and the methanol will be long gone halfway thru the run !- Same thing when U start removing alcohol from the extract ! Ethenol will come off last !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back