How many Lights in a 10x12 room for max yield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OGKushman said:
Digital ballasts do not save you a penny. They make the light bulb run more efficient. But, 1,000 watt/hr is 1kwhr. Doest not change the draw into the ballast, just output.

For efficiently ducting air cooled lights...

Um, no.

Digital ballasts use at least 100 watts less than a magnetic.

Magnetic 1000 watt = 1100 watts.
Digital 600 = 600 watts.

Yes, they do save you money on the power bill. Plus, they run cooler and quieter.

Yeah, I am switching over from a single 1000W magnetic ballast to 2 600W digitals--approx 35000 more lumens for an additional 100W.

ya now that i thought about it i might save up a lil and get (4) or (6) 600's and hopefully cool them with a 8 inch vortex or eclipse fan! i would go with 4 1000's but that would be real high on pge for 2 months (basically $700 - $800) and the 1000's get hotspots! im still learning though but as i can see for wat im doing and can afford the 600's would probally be the way but im still not sure! thats why im posting on here!

i looked up leds and damn there pretty expensive! some grows really look good with them and people are saving money but there expensive to buy!

yes digitals are about 10 - 20% cheaper on the bill each month! i ran a magnetic months ago and changed to a digi and noticed it! there more efficient too and make the bulb last longer and the best thing is they dont hummmm

i checked a co2 price for everything brand new and its around $1000, so i will probally get co2 next harvest as i dont have a lot of funds right now.

pics on my journal, check em out

new tent op 038.jpg

new tent op 040.jpg

new tent op 042.jpg

new tent op 043.jpg

AlbinoDanko12GA said:
ya now that i thought about it i might save up a lil and get (4) or (6) 600's

6 , 600 watters will put you about 60,000 lumens short of ideal lighting conitions, (max yield)

6 600's would put me short???????

im wiring the room up soon, im thinking 4 220 outlets and 4 110 outlets on a panel!!!!!! for lights im thinking 3 dual 600 digi 220volt lumateks to put me at 3600 watts with more of a footprint than 4 1000's! wat do u guys think! im still thinking of the 2 1000's on a 9 foot track but i im trying to get your guys opinions! i almost ordered 4 1000's but gave it another thought, i better wait and ask you guys and do some more homework!

its either...
1. 4 600's on a 9 ft track
2. 6 600's
3 2 1000's on a 9 ft track
4. 4 1000's

and defiantely 2 vortex fans or something similar, im making a shopping list so feel free to add any advice or comments

all should be running on 220 volts correct??????????

AlbinoDanko12GA said:
6 600's would put me short???????

im wiring the room up soon, im thinking 4 220 outlets and 4 110 outlets on a panel!!!!!! for lights im thinking 3 dual 600 digi 220volt lumateks to put me at 3600 watts with more of a footprint than 4 1000's! wat do u guys think! im still thinking of the 2 1000's on a 9 foot track but i im trying to get your guys opinions! i almost ordered 4 1000's but gave it another thought, i better wait and ask you guys and do some more homework!

its either...
1. 4 600's on a 9 ft track
2. 6 600's
3 2 1000's on a 9 ft track
4. 4 1000's

and defiantely 2 vortex fans or something similar, im making a shopping list so feel free to add any advice or comments

all should be running on 220 volts correct??????????

Its all about lumens per sq\ft, you want 5000 per sq\ft

10x12 = 120 sq/ft x 5000 = 600,000 lumens.

1000 watt hps = 150,000 lumens
600 watt hps = 90,000 lumens
400 watt hps = 50,000 lumens

6 x 90,000 = 540,000 lumens.

IMO light tracks are not the answer, more lights are.

You did say for max yield.

240 vs 120 volts
The only difference this makes is how many circuits you have at what amp rating.
watts\votage = amps so make sure you have enough circuits to handle it at no more than 80% of the max amp rating of each breaker or circuit.\

And dont forget about fans and other stuff.

AlbinoDanko12GA said:
Rolling Thunder said:
um i plan on using co2 but to tell the truth probally not this grow! i will by controllers, co2, more fans and all that after harvest! i dont have much money now that i built the room! c02 sounds confusing though ive never looked into it! so how are these peeps pulling 1-2 lbs per 600???isnt that impossible? isnt it a gram per watt or so???? im a newb im just asking! that would be so nice though! where do i sign up and how do we do this??? for ventalation my plans are to have 2 1000's with one 8 inch eclipse inline and use my 12,000 btu ac if needed i want to try and not use it though, thats why im gonna by this new inline! how shouldi have it all hooked up ventalation wise?

Hey Albino,

Have you thought of using light rails to move 2 1000s for the coverage? Just a thought and half the electric, the tracks only use small amounts of wattage. I think I read 5 watts but that was when I was high! :p

Growdude said:
6 x 90,000 = 540,000 lumens.

Hey there Albi,

Go with GD's advice. Six 600w HPS lamps is definitely the right way to go. That's actually a bare minimum for a 10x12 flower room. If you divide 3600w by 120 sq/ft, you get 30w per sq ft, which is a bare minimum and hardly an ideal lighting situation.

However, when you factor into it the centre isle between the two sides of the room, that you need to leave open for walking and working in, then your actual growing area is 120 sq/ft minus the middle walk-way which should be about 2.0 feet wide, at least.

So your actual grow area will be more like 4' x 12' on each side of the room, or 8' x 12' in total, for 96 sq. ft.; 3600w/96 sq. ft. = 37.5w per sq. ft. That is actually on the low side, but it will be sufficient for good yields if you plan to focus mainly upon pure indicas, and some largely indica dominant strains; but it is far from ideal.

Now, these are your options. First, instead of six lamps, go with eight 600 watters, 4 on each side of the room. The advantage of this over going with six 1000w lamps is that it provides a better spread and more even distribution of the light along each side of the room. 8x600w = 4800w total, or 50w per sq. ft, when divided by 96; and 7500 lum per sq. foot, which is closer to ideal, for maximum yields.

Your second option is to stay with six lamps but bump up the wattage to 1000w each, for a total of 6000w, or 900,000 lum; 6000w / 96sq/ft = 62.5w per sq/ft. ; 900,000 lumens divided by 96 sq. ft. = 9375 lum per sq. foot. This plan is even better, but is not without some negatives. Eight lamps will provide a better and more even light distribution throughout each side of the room; and you'll not be able to realize the full potential of this wattage without a sophisticated CO2 system and optimization of all other growth factors.

The third option, if you wish to stick with the six 600w HPS bulbs, is to reduce your actual growing area to 63 sq. feet, by locating it in the centre of the room and leaving a 1.5 foot walkway around the entire outside perimetre of the garden; 1.5 feet of walkway on each side of the garden will leave you with an actual grow area of about 7' x 9', or 63 sq. feet.

Now, 3600w/63 sq ft = 57w per sq. foot; and 540,000 lumens divided by 63 = 8571.42 lumens per sq. foot. That is fairly ideal and will be more than sufficient wattage / lumens for almost anything you'll ever want to grow, unless you're a real pure sativa freak; but even then, most pure sativas will perform well enough under those conditions when all the other growth factors are optimized.

Sorry to complicate the crap out of it for you, but dem's the hard facts, bro'! If it was me, seeing this is your first set-up, I would be heavily inclined to opt for the third and last option, of the 63 sq. ft. grow area in the centre of the room. Once you've run that a few times, if you feel it's inadequate, you can always split the garden in two later, move it to the sides of the room, and install two more 600w HPS bulbs.

Good luck with everything!

RT

thanks nvthis, it will have grass and all here soon, its a fairly big yard so it will be nice!

ok so i want atleast 5000 lumens per sq ft! i didnt know that, now i do thanks man! well im in the middle of drawing out the design of everything and so far i have a little walk way in the middle of the plants so i dont think ill be at 120 sqft of growspace, it might be like a 100 sqft or so! so i should be good right with 6 600's right?? ya my buddy and me are gonna wire it up with 4 220 outlets for the lights at 20 amps each and the 4 110 outlets 20 amps each for the ac and inlines and etc!

ya i thought of 9 ft light rails but there like $300 and i would need 2 of them! i could get like 3 lights for that much! but idk im still thinking about everything cuz i have to think about 3 months of pge for it all so ill figure it out and take a pic of the drawing im making so i can kinda show u guys visually

damn RT your one smart dude! thats a lot of different options for me to think about, let me smoke a blunt and ill get back to you lol, ill probally go with 6 600's just cuz of money issue and ill leave a 2 ft walkway right in the middle of the 2 tables! and the ac will be in one of the corners of the room! im drawing all this out so ill get back to you when its done and ill take a pic, thanks

Man...thats a lil too fancy for me. All this talk about Lumans makes me want to put on my tinfoil hat.

My okie rule of thumb is quite simple...1 -1000watter per 4x4 area.
Simple and great results.

wat would you do for heat problems compared to the 600's???? bigger inline or just run the ac 247???

StoneyBud said:
And with 24/7 usage of four 1000 watt lights, your power bill will increase by 2,784 Kw used per/month.

This will translate into about 300-400 dollars a month increase in your electric costs.

Is your electric company going to ignore this jump in usage?

Stop spreading misinformation. 4000w is not a big jump to worry about, thats **. Most power companies would jump all over that kind of increase with a handshake and a smile as long as your paying that bill on time.

10x12 room is screaming for large adjust a wing reflectors, super spreaders, 4000w of light with highly reflective walls. They say that will yield well, but I think thats in a 7x10 space of your 12x10 room.

I like RT's options better, they are spot on. I run 2kw over a 4x6 and its working ok aside from some small bleaching due to an INCREDIBLE stretch. :)

Yes, get them there Adjust-A-Wing reflectors. Best ever so far.

Fully tweakable and even better with the heat deflectors.

ya the power bill for 4 1000's 12/12 would be no more than $200 per month! now vegging 24/0 they would be no more than $400 a month! its 9 cents right now here in cali per k! but pge wont care and they havent said nothing about a $400 bill last time, they love it as long as i pay it! im legal so im not worried about it! im going with high gloss white walls! that should reflect the light some uh!

im also in the process of buying 3 dual digi lumatek 600 watt ballasts with 6 hoods! then ill get 2 4x8 trays! i looked at the adjust a wing hoods and it seems kinda cheap looking compared to these sealed hoods, you know wat i mean??? shouldnt i just go with like a daystar ac or radiant ac hood or cool tube or so?????????

(2) 4x8 trays=64sqft of growing space
64sqft x 5000 =320,000 lumens needed for ideal lighting
6 hps 90,000 lumens=540,000 total lumens which would be 8571.42 lumens per sq. foot which would be great

wat would u guys cool that with and how????? any pics or so of a similar setup so i can visually see it so i understand???

Rolling Thunder said:
Hey there Albi,

Go with GD's advice. Six 600w HPS lamps is definitely the right way to go. That's actually a bare minimum for a 10x12 flower room. If you divide 3600w by 120 sq/ft, you get 30w per sq ft, which is a bare minimum and hardly an ideal lighting situation.

However, when you factor into it the centre isle between the two sides of the room, that you need to leave open for walking and working in, then your actual growing area is 120 sq/ft minus the middle walk-way which should be about 2.0 feet wide, at least.

So your actual grow area will be more like 4' x 12' on each side of the room, or 8' x 12' in total, for 96 sq. ft.; 3600w/96 sq. ft. = 37.5w per sq. ft. That is actually on the low side, but it will be sufficient for good yields if you plan to focus mainly upon pure indicas, and some largely indica dominant strains; but it is far from ideal.

Now, these are your options. First, instead of six lamps, go with eight 600 watters, 4 on each side of the room. The advantage of this over going with six 1000w lamps is that it provides a better spread and more even distribution of the light along each side of the room. 8x600w = 4800w total, or 50w per sq. ft, when divided by 96; and 7500 lum per sq. foot, which is closer to ideal, for maximum yields.

Your second option is to stay with six lamps but bump up the wattage to 1000w each, for a total of 6000w, or 900,000 lum; 6000w / 96sq/ft = 62.5w per sq/ft. ; 900,000 lumens divided by 96 sq. ft. = 9375 lum per sq. foot. This plan is even better, but is not without some negatives. Eight lamps will provide a better and more even light distribution throughout each side of the room; and you'll not be able to realize the full potential of this wattage without a sophisticated CO2 system and optimization of all other growth factors.

The third option, if you wish to stick with the six 600w HPS bulbs, is to reduce your actual growing area to 63 sq. feet, by locating it in the centre of the room and leaving a 1.5 foot walkway around the entire outside perimetre of the garden; 1.5 feet of walkway on each side of the garden will leave you with an actual grow area of about 7' x 9', or 63 sq. feet.

Now, 3600w/63 sq ft = 57w per sq. foot; and 540,000 lumens divided by 63 = 8571.42 lumens per sq. foot. That is fairly ideal and will be more than sufficient wattage / lumens for almost anything you'll ever want to grow, unless you're a real pure sativa freak; but even then, most pure sativas will perform well enough under those conditions when all the other growth factors are optimized.

Sorry to complicate the crap out of it for you, but dem's the hard facts, bro'! If it was me, seeing this is your first set-up, I would be heavily inclined to opt for the third and last option, of the 63 sq. ft. grow area in the centre of the room. Once you've run that a few times, if you feel it's inadequate, you can always split the garden in two later, move it to the sides of the room, and install two more 600w HPS bulbs.

Good luck with everything!

RT

hey hows it going RT, thank you for all that good useful information, appreciate it bro! after thinking about it im going to go with ur third option and go with 6 hoods and 3 lumatek dual 600's! with a center isle in the middle of 2 feet to work with them and 3 600's above each 4x8 tray!

well flat white it is then!!!!! do u guys liek that white/balck panda film! i got a big ol role of it but its a pain on stapling it up and keeping it up! i think ill go with flat white

I use Panda film in my flowering room. It protects the walls and blocks out light. I have flat white walls in my vegging closet where "light leaks" are not a problem since I run my vegging closet 24/7.

Part of the problem that I personally have with mylar and Panda film is hanging it straight and without wrinkles. The less smoothly it is hung, the less it reflects. The low cost of flat white paint and the ease of cleanup makes flat white paint a good choice. Panda film will reflect more, but, as you mentioned, it can be a pita to hang.

i would run a sub panel dedicated to that room. just remember if the ballast you choose runs at say 10 amps on 120 if would be half on 240. by doing 240 it would allow for more lights on that 1 circuit.20 amp breaker will run at 16 amps safely with out tripping. ok just did my math 1000 watt ballast will draw 9.5 amps on 120. 240 say 5 amps so you can run 3 1000 on a double pole 20 amp breaker wired for 240

Latest posts

Back