How tp keep cuttings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HemperFi

Reaction score
I cut down the last plant in the tent yesterday. I cleaned up the tent and cleaned off the bottoms of the stems on the new clones and put them into the tent. I let them in their one gallon pots, and I'm not sure if I'm just too lazy to do it or because there are so many of them that I'm debating leaving them in 1 gal pots instead of transplanting them into 3 gal. pots. I will have to cull a few of them if I do transplant -- I should anyway.

I saved a lot of cuttings from the lower branches of the plants that I cut off. I just labeled dixi cups, put a mild nute solution in the cups and stuffed in a bunch of the cuttings. I put the cups under (way under) a 600w MH in the vedge area,

How long will they last???

I would like to postpone rooting my next batch of clones -- if only for a couple of weeks. The way I have been doing it causes the clones to vedge a couple of weeks too long, and they get huge. I tried giving them less light, thinking they might grow slower, but they just stretched. If I put them under 600w of MH they will grow very bushy, and I just don't have the room in vedge for 8 bushy ladies.

Here is a dhot of the cuttings, and one of the clones in the tent in 1 gal pots

Peace

100_1437.jpg

100_1438.jpg

best to place them in the fridge...can be stored for a few weeks ..they can also root in just water:aok:

I have done that before. I would wrap the stems in a wet paper towel and then put them in a large freezer bag and keep in the vegetable crisper in my fridge. I could keep them several weeks that way.

how far off are ya..
could ya just let em grow for a bit, then take another clone off them for next run?

Okay, I will pick the ones I need and wrap them in damp paper towels and into the fridge.

I do realize they can sprout roots in the cups -- was thinking it might take longer than the week it takes them in my cloner.

I just don't want to kill them and not have another crop on the way.

Thank you....

Peace

I have thought of that Kaotik, but it usually takes a month or so for my cuttings to get to a place where they can be cloned again -- at least -- and that would delay my next harvest. I am trying to get as much stash together as I can before Summer (or an electric meter). It's just a matter of timing that I haven't figured out yet. Thanks -- I'm wanting to take a couple of months off this Summer and then starting from seed again in September.

Peace

Okay, I'll do both. I'll put six or eight in the cloner and the rest as back-up in the fridge. That should take care of the timing thing -- thanks, my people...

Peace

To your potting question; You can grow in the 1gallon pots with good success. The key is to make sure that they want for nothing while growing there. Mine are in pots that I think are about 2liter and they get pretty big, with very little root growth outside of the pots. The key is that being in hydro, my plants get all of the food and water they want without having to shoot roots out in search of it. To do that means watering far more often, and feed every time you water. I have a buddy who grows in pots that are a bit smaller than mine and doesn't use hydro. But he waters and feeds everyday and is in organic. He doesn't get the yields that I do but he still does good. :)

I'd keep a mother or mother's on the side but if you don't have room I may hazard an attempt at THG's suggestion.

Okay, I took 14 of the cuttings and put hem in the cloner. I put the rest of them in the fridge -- doubt I will need them.

Hush, I'm going to amend some ProMix soil with bat, blood, bone and some sweet lime, then I'm going to transplant 6 plants into 3 gal. pots, as far down the stem as I can get them, and let their roots spread forth. Is it really true that if you feed every time you water the roots don't grow? I didn't know that.

Peace

:ciao: HemperFi

when I transplant mine from 1 gallon to 3 gallon..I set the 1 gallon at the bottom of the 3 gallon bag ..take the lower crap off ...and fill with medium..fold the bags inside out makes a bit easier and unroll as ya fill bag..Im a let Hushpup tell ya about the feeding every watering...I dont personally ...I tried to save clippings as they say in a bag in fridge crisper...but wasnt very successful ...now Im gonna fill my cloner again from stored clippings..I was getting flowers for the girlfriend one day...( hint hint Fellas..just a couple weeks away:aok:)...and seen they have the flowers in vase water...I asked and they cut 1/4 inch off the flower every few days...:doh:...Only thing is ya gotta have room...Best of luck my friend

:48:

I have found with mine that when I feed them constantly they don't grow as large of root balls, and they don't throw roots out as far. I think the key is having the nutes available to the plants so that the roots don't have to go looking as they do when grown in natural settings. Many plants in nature have evolved root systems to allow them to thrive in a given environment. Some develop deep reaching tap roots that search for deep water sources. Many plants and trees have evolved root knees that grow up out of the ground to allow them to get more oxygen.

When a plant is grown in a smaller container and isn't fed enough, the plant responds by trying to reach the roots out to find new sources of nutrients and/or water. This is where people get in trouble with root-bound plants. By making the nutrtients redily available(not overfeeding by adding too much) but keeping a constant flow of nutes to the roots, the plant thrives even in a root-bound condition. This is all based on my own experience so it isn't scientific fact.

Hemper; I would say for you, like anyone who is growing organically, you are keeping the nutes available by ammending the soil with nute bearing material. The key for you then would be maintaining the proper microbe herd to keep those materials available to the plants.

There is a limit though for organic growing in this respect, because you can only add so much ammendment to the soil in your planters and once the plants have eaten that material, then there is no more room to add more. That is why I go to using nutrient teas. With the tea you can disolve all of the nutes in water with the microbes to process it while it waits. Then when you add it to the plants, they get the water and the chelated nutrients immediately every time.

I can't swear to it as I haven't tried it but I would be willing to bet that you can grow plants organically in an innert medium like coco or rockwool using only nutrient teas and have solid results. :)

4u2, What a pleasant little message -- it sure is nice hearing from you again.

What you do is exactly what I had in mind -- I don't do "bags". I do pots (free pots :). They are three gallon, plastic pots. The lady at the local nursery lets me "borrow them". I gotta say, I don't feel right about feeding any plant every time I water -- I'm in dirt. I've already pruned the stems. I'll bury them as far up the stem as I can, and I'll feed them every three waterings as usual. It's working for me.

I bought a "FoodSaver" vacuum sealer. Now I have a long term plan for my weed. I don't have room for countless bottles. I AM having fun, and I AM high -- it feels good.

Peace

Hush, I'm not organic really. I do a combination of organics where I amend the soil and then feed them with chemical nutrients when I think they need help. I know the general understanding that chemical nutrients kill organisms in the rizospere (sp) but I believe the chelated nutrients are okay when not given too often. I have been experimenting with this since the beginning -- it's a work in progress :)

Peace

Good luck with it :) the more ya learn about it the more interesting it is. Its like playing with new toys at Xmas. :)

I bought a "FoodSaver" vacuum sealer. Now I have a long term plan for my weed. I don't have room for countless bottles. I AM having fun, and I AM high -- it feels good.

Yep...buy the make your own size bags and BAM!!!...I pack in QP..and I use 2 times the size bag so that every month I can cut open to inspect and be able to reseal..can do a bunch times...take care and be safe my friend

Latest posts

Back