HTG supply be cautious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leafminer said:
Cash flow probs? I bet they get their stuff from China. I used to run a company like that. Finally I went bust because I was unable to finance the ever increasing size of the imports, up front.

I'd say cash flow is a major concern for many companies right now. If they are not paying their bills they will get cut off until arrears are paid up and then they probably have to pay up front.

RAR, if you buy with a credit card you are fully protected if the company fails to deliver. No problem.

jackson1 said:
Honestly, i've experienced the total opposite. An example would be the the Lumetek Ballast I wanted was $189.99 plus tax in the hydro store and I got mine online for $139.99 and I had $9.00 shipping on a $600.00 order. Also,that $600.00 would have cost me over 750.00 plus tax at the hydro store so.......I'd love to give the locals my bussiness but on the big purchases they can't compete or don't want to. They go MSRP and i'm not going to pay that if i don't have to.

Well jackson to bad your locals are greedy. Ours respects who we are and that a small profit can be a big one when all the locals shop there.

Lumatek 1000W ballast rounded up with tax $214.00 and they don't need to do sales on line, they don't have the time because of the line at the counter.

Cowboy said:
Well jackson to bad your locals are greedy. Ours respects who we are and that a small profit can be a big one when all the locals shop there.

Lumatek 1000W ballast rounded up with tax $214.00 and they don't need to do sales on line, they don't have the time because of the line at the counter.

Holy crap that is a good price. I believe the 1K Lumatek's run like $389.99 here in the only two hydro stores we have. Like 50 - 55 miles from each other and not another one for 100 miles, so they got the demand cornered around here. The garden growers don't have a clue it seems because that stuff flies out the door. When I'm in there for something small like amendments or Pro-Mix, I stand there watching in pure amazement at how this stuff is flying out the door with customers paying a very high premium.

maybe the difference here is that most of use are old farts on fixed incomes trying our best to stay afloat. And maybe we get different treatment, but I don't see the younger growers getting treated any differently. I only make runs when I am down to the last of every thing. Its 45 minutes to a small town for me on back roads that I don't like to do.

Sorry about your hassle bud... hope you get it cleared up soon. I only buy locally if it's something I can't get cheaper online... soil, filters, anything heavy... I go to grow shops as little as possible just to keep a low profile. I try to go and pick up enough supplies to last a few months and if I need something before I need soil again I'll usually order it online and wait for that distinctive sound of the big brown truck to pull in, hammy!;)

Peace!:cool:

jackson1 said:
Honestly, i've experienced the total opposite. An example would be the the Lumetek Ballast I wanted was $189.99 plus tax in the hydro store and I got mine online for $139.99 and I had $9.00 shipping on a $600.00 order. Also,that $600.00 would have cost me over 750.00 plus tax at the hydro store so.......I'd love to give the locals my bussiness but on the big purchases they can't compete or don't want to. They go MSRP and i'm not going to pay that if i don't have to.

I see this completely differently, in almost every respect. I do order stuff on line and it's great and all... But for something like a ballast (I also use Lumatek) or other crucial equipement, local instore purchasing is the only way to go. You did save $40 up front, but there is where the value stops and in the face of saving pocket change, real world issues can become unclear. Once that purchase is complete, you are pretty much on your own. I prefer to pay the extra $40. It's a small sacrifice to hedge against what could become a major loss. Call it an insurance policy, but if that equipement breaks your screwed. Your options then become very clear. Either go out and find a replacement as quickly as possible (expensive), or scrap your grow and ship your broken equipment back to where it came from and wait for them to do something about it before starting all over again (very expensive). I hear what y'all are saying, but it's times like this that make spending that $40 bucks up front seem like the best idea ever conceived... I have said it many times... But when I buy locally and something malfunctions, I prefer that little $40 option/insurance policy to have it replaced and be back on track with in the hour, max. Small price to pay, really. The only time on line value should even be a consideration is when you have plenty of back up equipment to rely on which, ironically, is rarely the case.

nvthis said:
I see this completely differently, in almost every respect. I do order stuff on line and it's great and all... But for something like a ballast (I also use Lumatek) or other crucial equipement, local instore purchasing is the only way to go. You did save $40 up front, but there is where the value stops and in the face of saving pocket change, real world issues can become unclear. Once that purchase is complete, you are pretty much on your own. I prefer to pay the extra $40. It's a small sacrifice to hedge against what could become a major loss. Call it an insurance policy, but if that equipement breaks your screwed. Your options then become very clear. Either go out and find a replacement as quickly as possible (expensive), or scrap your grow and ship your broken equipment back to where it came from and wait for them to do something about it before starting all over again (very expensive). I hear what y'all are saying, but it's times like this that make spending that $40 bucks up front seem like the best idea ever conceived... I have said it many times... But when I buy locally and something malfunctions, I prefer that little $40 option/insurance policy to have it replaced and be back on track with in the hour, max. Small price to pay, really. The only time on line value should even be a consideration is when you have plenty of back up equipment to rely on which, ironically, is rarely the case.

AMEN brother... you took the words right out of my mouth. a little trick i learned that anyone with a grow shop nearby can use. buy one ballast online and an identicle one from the grow shop, if either one takes a crap on ya just take it back to the store they will take it back with out question.

nvthis said:

I get that too but it is much more than just $40.00. I'm not tracking it all that much but I've saved well over $200.00 buying online for just initial set up items. I bought quality and that is what I expect so the brand better stand up to what they say it is.

I always shop local...unless I just happen to find a killer deal online for something....but then it's for something that I don't really "NEED" so I'm not in a hurry to get it.

IMO NVThis hit the nail on the head when it comes to equipment we need to have working or waste thousands of dollars...I want that equipment replaceable the same day...no shipping charges, or time...that day the problem is fixed.

Don't get me wrong I have bought many items online...but only when it's a killer deal, or it's something I can't get local.

For instance Droopy Dog turned me on to Micro life/beneficial bacteria hydroshops r charging 30-50 bucks for and I got the same dang thing shipped to my door for under 10 bucks. (fungi.com) HPS bulbs @ (1000bulbs.com) things like this that you want to have a stock of anyway...hell yeah buy them online...but ballasts and can fans...etc...buy local! Help YOUR economy!

jackson1 said:
I get that too but it is much more than just $40.00..

I know bro.. I just said $40 'cause that's what ya had up there...;)

Hello to all, update. Received everything with some upgrades from what I ordered. In reality I should of taken in consideration what time of the year it was and ordered sooner, I suppose. But HTG did come on thru. The only advise I can give everyone is If you have a drop dead due date make sure what you need is in stock and if not have a back up item in mind to replace the preferred item that is needed. Be sure to stress the point as you order if your preferred item flies out the window before your shipment is processed you would like to replace it with a similar item and to let you know if its out of stock. In my case there was two items that I preferred that was out of stock in which this was causing the hold up. Once we nailed down the replacement item everything showed up very quickly. Warfish thanks a million for your direction. Take care everyone and cudo's to HTG**** for upgrades and hope everyones garden has plenty of good growth.

RAR. said:
Hello to all, update. Received everything with some upgrades from what I ordered. In reality I should of taken in consideration what time of the year it was and ordered sooner, I suppose. But HTG did come on thru. The only advise I can give everyone is If you have a drop dead due date make sure what you need is in stock and if not have a back up item in mind to replace the preferred item that is needed. Be sure to stress the point as you order if your preferred item flies out the window before your shipment is processed you would like to replace it with a similar item and to let you know if its out of stock. In my case there was two items that I preferred that was out of stock in which this was causing the hold up. Once we nailed down the replacement item everything showed up very quickly. Warfish thanks a million for your direction. Take care everyone and cudo's to HTG**** for upgrades and hope everyones garden has plenty of good growth.

Sorry I have to say this, but it is not you that should have to work that hard to have an order shipped. It is the business owners job to do that. That is partly what you are paying for. Your also paying for them to Email or call if there is going to be a problem. If an owner can not do that then you are not getting the service your paying for and the owner is not interested in serving you.

Latest posts

Back