Im new...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

225smokestack

and i bought these Plant and Aquarium flouros... how do these work?

???/ do yu mean are they good enough to grow ? or how do you use them ??? ,,,

we need a little more info on your lights in order to answer your question.
by the way welcome to mp,your at the right place

haha ok, well i have 2 40w aquarium and plant flouros in a 4 foot fixture about 2 inches from the tops of my plants. i was wondering if these types of bulbs are good for veg growth or should i get someting different for this stage...

They should work but you need to tell us whether they say full spectrum, or have a color temperature they operate at.

Otherwise you could stick with cool white tubes.

Right now I recommend Gro Lux 40 watt tubes after seeing the results in Veg with those babies !!!!!

Before you ask here is how I suggest most to setup currently.

Get 2 shop lights that hold 2 tubes.
Get 4 Gro Lux 40 watt bulbs

Plant 5 - 15 plants under them.

Use Serious Seeds only, of course that was a no brainer....

When they mature weed out the Males and put them under a 400 watt digital HPS and you'll be down to 5 - 9 plants after getting rid of the males.

You will have a mighty fine grow for a beginner or intermediate grower. If you want you can always upgrade the lighting, mostly the HPS to a 600 watt or a 1000 watt.

greetings, the lights you have should work in veg as stated by the board members. I wouldn't start with so many if this is your first or even 2nd grow. You may get lucky and have 10 girls which can become a hassle if you are not prepared. A 400w can't support that many plants. Use good seeds and grow just a couple at a time but baby the s#@t out of them and you can have some great "sinse".:eek:

thanks ms4ms. i only have 2 plants going right now for my very first grow. im just trying to get the hang of it. should i head to the store are get another flouro fixture to have 4 tubes going, or is this one 4 ft fixture good enough. ima try and get some pics up later tonight of my "work" area and see what yall think can be done to improve it. the closet itself is about 2 feet wide, 6 feet long, and prolly 7-8 feet high... the lights i have in there now are 2 40w GE daylight flouros with 3050 lumens each. thanks in advance

Yo Ho 225smokestack,
I see that you have been welcomed here that's cool, and I welcome you also. The lights that you are currently using are at best wholly inadequate for the task, however la9 is dead right on, but may I suggest 6 tubes total, each at 48" inches in length. This is what I use for a total of 6 plants, throughout the vegging cycle. For flowering I use a 600 watt Hps Inhanced.
this is ideal for the space that your going to be using. But now you must be considering ventilation, are you all set and good to go in that dept.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna :cool:

I am only on my 4th grow and I am soon changing set ups myself. Come in from the cold gargage to a nice warm closet, my wife says...hmmmm what does she WANT? Anyway, what I have learned is this:: Do not lite areas you do not grow in, ex: almost 7-8 ft high. If you have a lenght of growlight at 48" and put out say even 5 plants that will take up maybe half the lenght. I am talking about seedlings to just before full vegging which you control. You can veg until you have a big bush or as soon as they are ready which is quit young and small. The King is right with a 600w hps if you can. The size of your room requires this.You would like to have 5000 lumens per square foot, and your room is 2 x 6 x 8 =96 sq ft.X5=480. The next sixe light is 600 watts.

225smokestack said:
thanks ms4ms. i only have 2 plants going right now for my very first grow. im just trying to get the hang of it. should i head to the store are get another flouro fixture to have 4 tubes going, or is this one 4 ft fixture good enough. ima try and get some pics up later tonight of my "work" area and see what yall think can be done to improve it. the closet itself is about 2 feet wide, 6 feet long, and prolly 7-8 feet high... the lights i have in there now are 2 40w GE daylight flouros with 3050 lumens each. thanks in advance

Okay, you have 12 sq ft. 12 x 5000 lumens=60,000 lumens. A 400W at 55,000 lumens is close to being 5000 lumens per sq ft. So you could probably get away with a 400W.

ok, so if i go with a MH or HPS bulb, what type of fixture would those bulbs fit in? they seem kind of big...

225smokestack said:
ok, so if i go with a MH or HPS bulb, what type of fixture would those bulbs fit in? they seem kind of big...

You might want to read up on HID lighting--they all take a ballast. I would recommend buying the whole set-up as a "package" deal. Otherwise, you need a ballast, a mogul socket, a reflector, cords, bulb and then you have to put it all together. The ballast you buy will be either a MH, a HPS, or a digital ballast (which will burn either type bulb). The ballast wattage and the bulb wattage must be the same.

thanks hemp, will look into that. but for now all i can get is my 4 flouros :(... they will have to do in for a while

225smokestack said:
thanks hemp, will look into that. but for now all i can get is my 4 flouros :(... they will have to do in for a while

The fluoros will be just fine for vegging. Try to get a HPS for flowering. It is well worth it. There are fairly inexpensive lower wattage HPS out there when you get ready.

Motor City Madman said:
la9 do you work for serious seeds? I'm curious to know why you would say that.

255smokestack welcome to MP

No I don't work for them, out of all the brands I've used Serious Seeds have produced healthy, strong and potent plants EVERYTIME, that is why I would say it. Their genetics are just as good as they say.

Why do you work for another competing company and don't like someone recommending the competitor ?

The bigger question is why I got negative feedback on my post helping someone out with correct information on how to have a great grow and what was needed.

Latest posts

Back