I'm scared to look at the news now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is something that we cannot control, Only experience and learn from it. There are thousands of ways that a catastrophe could happen on this planet from comets crashing into the planet to nuclear testing labs blowing up.

We have the Marsili volcano, largest underwater volcano in Europe just 300 miles away, and is highly unstable, if that goes off say good bye to Sicily, Part of Italy, Malta, Sardinia and who knows where else in the Mediterranean.

When you remember we are just another spinning rock in space then you realise how lucky we are just to even be here. If it wasn't for natural disasters then Humans wouldn't even be here, We are the result of one big catastrophe. If its mother nature that takes me out then I dont see that being so bad.

yeah when u put it that way it makes me feel a little better

i've just seem some .. i don't even have words.. bloody rediculousness?

these pills, OMG are people insane? buying them up, selling out everywhere in north america..

and now we have the greedy fookers taking advantage. :(
check this out;
We need to pick this up and run with it. I find this past unacceptable. I ordered two Potassium Iodide packets last Saturday. Price has gone from 9.99 per packet to $349.00. Per packet! That's $24.02 per Potassium Iodide pill

Here is my order details:

Order Summary:
Shipping Details : Nukepills
Order #: 002-3793899-7397037
Shipping Method: Standard
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $19.98
Shipping & Handling: $4.95
------
Total for this Order: $24.93

Delivery estimate: March 17, 2011 - March 22, 2011
Shipping estimate for these items: March 14, 2011 - March 15, 2011 2 "losat Potassium Iodide | FDA approved | 14 130mg tablets"
Health and Beauty; $9.99

Here is the email I got this afternoon:

Greetings from Amazon.com,

We're writing to inform you that your order 002-3793899-7397037 from Nukepills has been canceled.

Your credit card was not charged for this order.

If you're still interested in this item, please search for it again on Amazon.com.

We've included your order details below for reference.

We value you as a customer and hope you will continue shopping on Amazon.com.

==================================================
ORDER DETAILS
==================================================

2 of losat Potassium Iodide | FDA approved | 14 130mg tablets

New price details

Price at a Glance
List Price: $12.99
New: from $349.00
wow, amazon canceled his order (at $25) then told him he could order them again (at $349) .. :( :(

really shows eh? over there (where it's needed) they'll help you out and get you some.. over here (where it isn't) they'll try to gouge you and make themselves a profit.
and that's amazon (i fear to even look at what some idiots are trying to make on ebay)

ahh the land of the free (canada included) capitalisms great eh? makes us such wonderful people.

i tell ya, japan is really bringing to light how pathetic our nations over here are.. they help each other and look out for one another. we help ourselves and look out for number one :(

you see restaurants freely feeding people there.. i wonder if we'd jack the price if it were us.

makes me sick. they're ordering up a bunch of stuff they don't need, maybe causing a shortage where it is needed.. to make a profit.

can't say i'm surprised, not at all. but i am bloody disgusted. and now more than ever hope karma exists.
*not everywhere/everyone is price gouging, some will still be normal.. when supply get back again. but it's not hard to find the scum of our humanity about now :( ;)

kaotik said:
amazon canceled his order (at $25) then told him he could order them again (at $349)

I'm pretty sure I'm correct when I say that Amazon didn't cancel the order, the vendor who contracts through Amazon cancelled the order.

Amazon is just the middle man in the transaction. They have no say about what the vendors who contract with them charge for the products sold through Amazon.

However, there is a "seller rating" that can be used to put both a rating to the seller and comments. The buyer can also contact Amazon via it's complaint area and file a formal complaint. If Amazon feels that it's warranted, they can cancel their contract with the seller and forbid them to ever use Amazon again.

I'd for sure go that route with the butt-head who jacked that price. It's obvious price gouging.

Hick said:
but I've yet to see video of anyone in Japan pushing shopping carts full of looted big screen tv's, or Nike tennis through the streets.
thats cause in japan, Nike's and Sony's are cheap P.o.s. :rofl:

;)

srs
It is nice to see ppl come together to help eachother. If populations were isolated, without the advent of digital electronic communication networks...many more "apocalypse" situations that could seem worldwide, (earthquake, wave surge, flood in big city) when in-fact they are localized - like the tsunami in Japan, would cause wild accusations at the hand of god a second flood of biblical proportions...

...without electricity, communication, and transportation of correspondence...well what bible might we be reading in 3011?

hmmmm

simple supply and demand. cant blame a guy for making a quick buck off the feeble minded.

When the seller gets rich because people cant sift through the B.S and figure out for theirself if (350$) its worth the pill...that and they wont need the pill in the first place.

In the US and especially Canada, the gov. will hand out Potassium Iodide like they are jelly beans to the areas that might be affected from and nuclear threat; when and if the time comes. Even easier and safer, if there is a nuke threat... just move. ;)

Lets talk the price of prescription drugs then....

An American Disaster....

When on insurance (last month), my insurance company pays $120 for my breathing medicine, Spiriva, and I pay $20 co-pay. Now I am off of insurance and the SAME medicine is $239 to me as an individual. I shopped around and find a five dollar decrease at a small family owned pharmacy. This is an ongoing disaster in the USA, health care. Insurance companies and retailers screwing Americans. Another Factoid, the hospital charged $230,000 +/- for seven days and operating room in hospital for me last year. Insurance "negotiated it down" to $100,000 +/- and I paid $1007. If I had not had insurance would they even have taken me in as a patient? Don't go out of your house with out medical insurance Stoney, you might find you need it.

I refused my prescription the other day, and wont buy it again until I am back on insurance (6 months or so). I can get by without it, but what about the old man who was complaining (while I was in the store) about a price increase on his prescription? What about him? This is something we can do something about people, lets support some kind of Medical Reform in the USA.

From what I hear, taking the iodine pills will not help with much more than Thyroid Cancer (and possibly create medical problems if taken incorrectly). If there was a anti Cancer pill that did it all, how much would a person find too much to pay for it?

tcbud said:
Don't go out of your house with out medical insurance Stoney, you might find you need it.

That's all well and good if you can afford to buy the insurance. I can't right now. I haven't had any for almost 3 years.

The meds I take are available at Walmart for $10/90 days.

My Doc agreed to see me for cash $60 per/visit, 4 times a year.

The Lab does my lab work for cash $150, 4 times a year.

If my new flowering rooms work as I expect them to, I'll at last be able to buy insurance. Until then, it ain't happening.

11 Reasons Not To Panic

1. You get more radiation going through security at the airport than you’re getting right now on the West Coast. Nuclear Safety Consultant Cham Dallas, professor at the University of Georgia, said on CBS News, “The people in California can rest easy. The amount of radiation that you’re getting now, or are liable to get in the near future from Japan, would be less than you would get in a TSA screening. It’s just not a hazard right now. I can’t see how that’s going to change in the immediate future.”

2. This is not Chernobyl or Hiroshima. While nuclear reactors are at risk, nothing nuclear has melted down yet. No nuclear bomb has gone off. Dallas said, “Right now, and in the immediate future, I cannot possibly see any scenario that would result in any hazardous levels of radioactivity getting to California. Unless this thing really deteriorates a lot more than — than is even conceivable right now.” So chill out, people. Nothing’s happening here, right now. And it’s very unlikely that we’ll ever be at risk from this particular event.

3. Japan is VERY VERY VERY far away. 5000ish miles, actually. And radiation leaks from a power plant like this don’t usually affect more than a 10-20 mile radius around the power plant. So if you’re hanging out right near the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant site, get the hell out. Otherwise, stop panicking, send prayers to Japan, and thank your lucky stars that you’re safe.

4. Radiation doesn’t travel well. Radioactive particles don’t just hang out at super high doses in clouds of cancer-and-radiation-sickness-inducing concentrations. “Things would have to get kind of ‘end of days’ for us to see even a little bit of it here. We’re talking extreme,” Jordan Scott, a spokesman for the California Emergency Management Agency told the Los Angeles Times. “We’re just too far for anything to really reach us. A majority of the materials that would come out of there in a meltdown would dissipate within miles of Japan.”

5. Some people love to panic. Choose not to jump on the crazy-making bandwagon. West coasters are stockpiling potassium iodide for no good reason. Why is that? Are our lives so friggin’ boring that we have to create adventure so we can feel like we’re Jack Bauer in TV’s 24? Must we create hysteria just so we know we’re alive? We did this with the anthrax scare, when people were stockpiling Cipro. We did it with swine flu, when they were hoarding Tamiflu. Now this. Stop it people. You’re hurting your wallets more than you’re helping yourselves.
6. Remember, fear sells. Ebay auctioneers are raking it in on iodide sales right now. Alternative health care providers are scaring you into spending money so you can feel safe. When you’re afraid, you’ll spend anything to feel protected, even if it’s merely a placebo.

7. Potassium iodide only protects the thyroid. If you’re going to live in fear, you better be prepared to be much more afraid, because the thyroid is the last of your worries. What about the rest of your body? What about radiation sickness that can leads to fatigue, hair loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and skin changes such as swelling, redness, itching and radiation burns? What about leukemia? Lymphoma? These simply can’t be prevented, so why freak out?

8. If there’s reason to panic, we’ll have plenty of warning. It’s not like a nuclear bomb might be coming our way any minute now at the speed of light. If some untold nuclear meltdown happens, it will be more like a hurricane than a tornado. We’ll have plenty of time to get the hell out of dodge and take the necessary precautions.

9. We’re all exposed to radiation every day. According to the World Health Organization, between environmental exposure and medical procedures, the average person is exposed to about 3.0 millisieverts (mSv) of radiation per year.

10. Emotional stress is more likely to kill you than some theoretical radiation cloud that might hit the West Coast. When you freak out, cortisol and epinephrine levels rise, leading to higher blood pressure, decreased immunity, high blood sugar, and other changes that can increase your risk of having a heart attack or stroke or succumbing to infections or cancer. So take a deep breath. Meditate. Listen to guided imagery. And let those stress hormones fall back to normal. It does a body good.

11. You never know when your time is up, so be here now. When an unexpected earthquake hit Japan last week, people died. On the day before they died, some were worrying about how they would pay for their retirement ten years from now in the face of a falling stock price. Some held grudges about long-past wrongs. Some dreamed of doing things they were too afraid to pursue. Others were probably afraid of earthquakes or a tsunami or nuclear disaster. You could be in a car accident. Your number could be up tomorrow. Don’t waste your life worrying about what might happen.

So What Can You Do?

I know you might feel helpless when you can’t control the outcome of a potential disaster. So I understand why you might be nervous. It helps to feel like you’re doing something. So what can you do to protect yourself and your family?

* Meditate. It calms the mind.
* Dissociate from your fear. Recognize that fear comes from a primal biological part of your brain that has a tendency to revert to fight or flight mode.
* Count your blessings. Think about what the people in Japan must be feeling. Be grateful for your life. Focusing on gratitude calms the mind and attracts good things into your life.
* Watch the news for further updates. There is no government conspiracy trying to hide disaster from you.
* Eat healthy, iodine-rich foods (assuming you don’t have thyroid issues), such as sea vegetables such as kelp, yogurt, fish, shrimp, eggs, and strawberries.
* If things change and health officials announce that we are in danger, follow their recommendations and take potassium iodide pills in recommended doses if necessary. But don’t go selling your soul to stock up on supplements.

:D Hick Hick Hick....just taking all the fun from it, aren't we? :aok: Maybe those freaking out should :48:

I guess I need to turn on my TV, I know we had a earthquake but I quit watching after a couple of days.speaking of radiation,I sure hope all this stuff doesn't wake up godzilla, or worse mothra!!!!, they probably gave em a big pill. wonder what it cost?

Very nicely written, Hick. As always a voice of reason (well, maybe not
always :) )
People do love to over-react ( eeek!! a mouse!!!), thanks for putting things into perspective. It is a fact of life - tomorrow is promised to none of us...
Unfortunately, the worst part of a capitalism is that people will capitalize on others misfortune.
Most people have a very short attention span and disasters are quickly forgotten by all but the victims.
Remember that oil spill last year? 51,000 barrels a day for 86 straight days into the gulf. To put that into perspective - the US uses 20,000,000 barrels a day. If it had leaked for an entire YEAR, it would not equal what the US uses in a DAY!! Perhaps we were lucky, thats 4.4 million barrels that WON'T be discharged into the atomosphere. Earth First!! We'll screw up the other planets later!!
I think, StoneyBud's point was that between the volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, ect... The Earth sure does seem to be a little p*ed off.
I'm beginning to feel the same way.

EDGY said:
Very nicely written, Hick. As always a voice of reason

:rofl: One of these days Hick will be referred to as "Paw Paw".:rofl:

niteshft said:
:rofl: One of these days Hick will be referred to as "Paw Paw".:rofl:

"one o' these days?"... :eek: I just had a granddaughter turn 17 last week. I been "Pa'-Pa'" for at least 15 of those!... :p

and EDGY, thanks, but I'm nor the composer of that :eek: Just something that I found, that I thought might be a nice "breath if fresh air" to the "gloom" and 'doom" posts :D

Hick said:
leads to fatigue, hair loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and skin changes such as swelling, redness, itching
sounds like the side effects to 95% of all prescription drugs :p

Mutt said:
sounds like the side effects to 95% of all prescription drugs :p

add "oily discharge" to that list..:p

Hick said:
add "oily discharge" to that list..:p
like my mom said....
"I think Immodium (anti-diarrhea) is a major stockholder in all pharm. companies....every last one of em gives me heck!!" :holysheep: :rofl:

These are the side effects from Abilify's (Anti-depression med) site...

•Headaches -- in up to 27 percent of people

•A sedated feeling -- up to 23 percent
•Agitation -- up to 19 percent
•Insomnia -- up to 18 percent (see Abilify and Insomnia)
•Fatigue -- up to 17 percent
•Anxiety -- up to 17 percent
•Drowsiness -- up to 16 percent
•Nausea -- up to 15 percent
•Vomiting -- up to 14 percent
•Restlessness -- up to 12 percent
•Constipation -- up to 11 percent.

Some other common side effects (occurring in 2 percent to 10 percent of people) included:

•Dizziness
•Indigestion or heartburn
•Shakiness (tremors)
•Weight gain (see Abilify and Weight Gain)
•Restlessness
•Fatigue
•Dry mouth (see Abilify and Dry Mouth)
•Joint pain
•Throat pain
•Blurred vision
•Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
•Pain
•Cough
•Nasal congestion
•Increased salivation
•Swelling or water retention in the arms, legs, or feet.
•Signs of diabetes, such as:

◦High blood sugar
◦Increased thirst
◦Frequent urination
◦Extreme hunger (see Abilify and Diabetes)

•Large or rapid weight gain
•Suicidal thoughts
•High blood pressure (hypertension)
•Dizziness or fainting when going from a sitting or lying-down position to standing
•Feelings of internal restlessness or jitteriness
•Any abnormal muscle movements (these movements can become permanent if Abilify is not stopped quickly)
•A painful erection of the penis that does not go away (priapism)
•Signs or symptoms of neuroleptic malignant syndrome, which can include:

◦A high fever
◦Stiff muscles
◦Confusion
◦Irregular pulse or blood pressure
◦An increased heart rate (tachycardia)
◦Sweating
◦Irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias)

•Signs of an allergic reaction, including:

◦Unexplained rash
◦Hives
◦Itching
◦Unexplained swelling
◦Wheezing
◦Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
•Anemia
•Vertigo (a spinning sensation)
•Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
•Low thyroid (hypothyroidism) or high thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
•Gas
•Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
•Hemorrhoids
•Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
•Canker sores
•Gallstones
•Yeast infections
•Arthritis
•Carpal tunnel syndrome
•Kidney stones
•Impotence, also known as erectile dysfunction or ED (see Abilify Sexual Side Effects)
•An increased or decreased sex drive
•Acne
•Eczema
•Hair loss (see Abilify and Hair Loss)
•Varicose veins.

Just knowing that there are people out there desperate enough to take this s#*! depresses me...

'nuff said

Latest posts

Back