Indoor/Outdoor Grow Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasMonster

Reaction score
I was not sure where to post this. I hope I aint breaking any rules. Anyway

Can you raise/veg a plant indoors and then after a proper hardening off move it outside to flower? Its just a thought I've been having.

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
TM Yes it will flower outside... when the light cycle is right....

I was thinking so.

There could be some advantages to that.

I need to study what happens in my area for light hours. Thank You for the response.

That's how I always start my outdoor grows. I start them under 24/7 light, take clones, sex clones, then compost the males. I harden off my plants on my sun porch then after around 2 weeks I put them in the ground or 5 gallon buckets. Been doing it for years and have never had a problem.
Best of luck.

so, sorry i have a question as this thread relates, i have been flowering for 6 wks now and the weather is looking much better now, pretty damn nice out, although the temps will be lower than 80 and humidity will be a little different what effects would this have if I put her out for a few hours a day? Dont mean to step on your thread bro

I've never taken a plant that was in flower and put it out side, even temporarily. I don't think it would do so good, probably hermie on you. No matter how much light you have indoors it's not the same as outdoors, obviously. If you decide to try it let us know what the results are. It would be interesting.

stinkyelements said:
so, sorry i have a question as this thread relates, i have been flowering for 6 wks now and the weather is looking much better now, pretty damn nice out, although the temps will be lower than 80 and humidity will be a little different what effects would this have if I put her out for a few hours a day? Dont mean to step on your thread bro

I dont see it as stepping on "my" thread. You have furthered the subject and thats always a good thing.

Thanks cubby and texasmonster, yea I dont think I would have put her out there or was I planning on it but this thread def. made me curious, I may even put a flowering clone out to see what happens haha:eek:

Good thread TM, good time to start if your considering what you originally posted i would think....;)

stinkyelements said:
Thanks cubby and texasmonster, yea I dont think I would have put her out there or was I planning on it but this thread def. made me curious, I may even put a flowering clone out to see what happens haha:eek:

Good thread TM, good time to start if your considering what you originally posted i would think....;)

Well, I've got one auto grow under my belt and that grass is going to last me for a long while(I only smoke about 4 small bowls a day) but as with most things that we have fun at or success with we get curious on the hows and whys. I suspect that a non auto plant is going to take more than the 250 watts I have for flowering. I do like, however, the idea of deciding when to have the plant flower.

There can be major problems with this idea.
The main one is this: indoor strains are bred for indoors. When you try them outdoors you run into big trouble.
For instance: I grow Black Domina which is an indoor variety. It's indica. It is prone to bud rot if conditions get too humid. Now, RAIN = 100% humid.
Just a light sprinkling of rain on a Domina nearing harvest easily - and I mean easily - results in the colas rotting away.
I have not found it easy to come up with strains that are good indoor and outdoor. My own crosses have been good, but when buying a new untested strain I have no idea if I am going to ever be able to grow the strain outdoor or not.

leafminer said:
There can be major problems with this idea.
The main one is this: indoor strains are bred for indoors. When you try them outdoors you run into big trouble.
For instance: I grow Black Domina which is an indoor variety. It's indica. It is prone to bud rot if conditions get too humid. Now, RAIN = 100% humid.
Just a light sprinkling of rain on a Domina nearing harvest easily - and I mean easily - results in the colas rotting away.
I have not found it easy to come up with strains that are good indoor and outdoor. My own crosses have been good, but when buying a new untested strain I have no idea if I am going to ever be able to grow the strain outdoor or not.

That there is something to take into consideration. I had been wondering why some were considered inside strains and some outside strains. Now, at least in part, I know the answer.

Thank You

TexasMonster said:
Well, I've got one auto grow under my belt and that grass is going to last me for a long while(I only smoke about 4 small bowls a day) but as with most things that we have fun at or success with we get curious on the hows and whys. I suspect that a non auto plant is going to take more than the 250 watts I have for flowering. I do like, however, the idea of deciding when to have the plant flower.

Hey not for nothin but Im using a 250 hps and a few cmpct flouros and have great results. Happy Growing!!!

I've never came across any strain that didn't flourish outdoors, as long as your conditions are relatively moderate.... I would 'guess' that I have grown at least 50 popular strains outdoors.
I'm sure there are areas that don't have 'favorable' conditions for certain characteristics of 'some' strains. Such as a long flowering sativa up north, but "in general" any plant/strain will grow fine outdoors.

I've grown several strains that seed sellers called "indoor" outdoors and never had any real problems other than some took longer to finnish than my grow zone would accomodate, that's why my outdoor grow is in 5 gallon or larger containers, I move them inside my greenhouse or grow room to finnish, if need be.

Latest posts

Back