Is this a polyploid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer

Reaction score
So I got this Ed Rosenthal seed plant with growth that does not match my other seeds. In addition, at each node where two shoots usually come off the plant there are 3 (I tried to show this in the pic below, sorry it's a bit out of focus). I have read a couple posts recently on ployploids but I am not well versed in them at all. I have seen some say this could be a great and rare characteristic to have, other posts seem to say these are usually male.....what do you all think?

Regardless I am kicking the plant into flowering today so we will know the sex soon enough.

polyploid.jpg

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117031&d=1244266789
hey nyc this a pic of one i got thta seems similar to this whored poly thingy too.
an to be quite honest i may have even accidentally pulled or somethin to make a leaf depart from a plant lol but i do not remmber so im goin wit the fact that this the way it was cuz when i started mine i didnt pay much attention to them as much as i do now cuz i had others finishin buddin up an that kinda needless to say distracted me from everythin in life for bout teh last week there.
but anyway i saw that other thread ya was all chattin bout it and even copied it all down in my e-notes for my personal reference. but
im guessin it would be one them there poly deals. is yours only on one set node thats like that tripod looking to it. cuz on mines it just that one set and all is normal above it all. an no signs of scarring from any preexisting leaf vein brutally ripped from its body :). if it was... poor thing haha.
sry just flappin . got nice buzz on tanite man.
but despite the hype of em all bein more male than anything im still gonna let mine go an watch it tho.
i so wanna get a plant sometime that like this total oddity like i mean somethin so weird ya write home bout it after seein it.. lol
i got some artistic ideas im gonna dabble into wit some clones if my girls reveg successfully an i can get as far as gettin cuttings from them ever.
oh man this is nuts man. sory but off the subject but have you ever tried quittin smokin cigarettes if ya a smoker? lol
im currently goin for kikin teh habbit. an a buddy told me do it liek i quit drinkin. quit cold turkey stay busy an stay hi. LOL
i have to say it was the best advise i ever got from anyone. i told my doctor bout it when he asked how my drinkin was goin years bak. he laffed an said he couldnt agree more an give me this crazy grin like he a smoker an believes in its medical an healing capabilities lol.
wow im goin off somewhere far now.
but yea i got one them whored polyplids things too lol

is it like this guy was?

he had 3 cots, 3- first sets, second, third and fourth, etc... then he started alternating and got flowered and used to make Blush, KULT, and Skush.

I'm told the tri-foliate trait was passed on, as reported by a couple test growers and myself in more than one cross.

Sinister_Kush_Blush_KULT_Skush_father.jpg

yea it's showing this at all nodes so far. It was a strange sprout. It came through as a seedling and just sat with it's waterleafs looking all funny for about a week before it started growing at all.

lol mine prolly just lost a leaf somewhere long the lines then. lol.
i woulda noticed one wit 3 coty's in the beginning tho for sure but never did. bummer.. (sarcasm)

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
So I got this Ed Rosenthal seed plant with growth that does not match my other seeds. In addition, at each node where two shoots usually come off the plant there are 3 (I tried to show this in the pic below, sorry it's a bit out of focus). I have read a couple posts recently on ployploids but I am not well versed in them at all. I have seen some say this could be a great and rare characteristic to have, other posts seem to say these are usually male.....what do you all think?

Regardless I am kicking the plant into flowering today so we will know the sex soon enough.

.search here for.."whorled phyllotaxi"...it's not necessarily a sign of polyploid...

Seems to me that 1 is higher than 3 which is higher than 2...? Is this correct, even if by 1/8-1/4" differences?

When i had my one poly it was discernibly bunched together... all at the same horizontal point of the stalk. This was unmistakable. Hick might be right on. Best brah.

I'm seeing these being referred to as polyploid. .... they ARE 'whorled phyllotaxi'.
According to what I have read, polys do not occur naturally in mj. It 'must' be treated with hazardous chemical (colchicine) sp?.. to induce polyploidism.
pol·y·ploid (pl-ploid)
adj.
Having one or more extra sets of chromosomes: a polyploid species; a polyploid cell.
n.
An organism with more than two sets of chromosomes.
Polyploid

(genetics) an organism or cell having more than twice the haploid number of chromosomes.Of a cell or organism having more than twice the haploid number of chromosomes; a polyploid cell; a polyploid species.Organisms that possess two sets of each chromosome.

tri-foliate/quad-foliate growth does not indicate multiple sets of chromosomes. .

curious tho hick. have you seen my thread in my sig wit my whorled girls. i got the seeds from buds so tehy was not treated liek ya said. but i too knwo wat your talkin bout wit the bein treated wit chems. i cant recall the name of it off top my head but it starts wit "c" and read somewhere that out of 1000 seeds treated wit the chem "c" maybe 10 will sprout and them suppose to be like some super mj or somethin to that effect.
but now in my case wit mine now wat would cause this other than it be natural?

edit: here is where i read of the whole whorled deal.
Clarke, Robert C - Marijuana Botany an Advanced Study
page 30 polyploidy - it starts explainin it . hxxp://www.scribd.com/doc/9700900/Clarke-Robert-C-Marijuana-Botany-an-Advanced-Study

colchisine is the name the chemical an i was off on the number seeds thing. my bad.

whorled phyllotaxi, what you have... does not mean it is poly', nor treated with "c"...

so then is this just a fluke of mj nature then or wat distinguishes polyploids from plain whorled phylotaxi. i think i worded that right, no?

zipflip said:
so then is this just a fluke of mj nature then or wat distinguishes polyploids from plain whorled phylotaxi. i think i worded that right, no?
adj.
Having one or more extra sets of chromosomes:
n.
An organism with more than two sets of chromosomes.

so basically my girls have down syndrome ? lol
if im not mistaken down syndrome has to do wit either extra or one less chromosome.

see this is the whole part that throws me off wit the whole polyploid.

Polyploidy

Polyploidy is the condition of multiple sets of chromosomes within one cell. Cannabis has 20 chromosomes in the vegetative diploid (2n) condition. Triploid (3n) and tetraploid (4n) individuals have three or four sets of chromosomes and are termed polyploids.

then it goes on sayin that it doesnt occur naturally an only by bein treated wit chemical colchicine
Polyploidy has not been shown to occur naturally in Cannabis; however, it may be induced artificially with colchicine treatments.
now my seeds i had used were from a big bag of good nugs a friend mine got while back. and he is a far cry from bein teh least bit intelligent to where i could say he treated them lol. so that parts ruled out wit mine i'd say.
could it be possible that the grower whom the buds came from had treated the seeds he grew an harvested these buds from which the seeds came from.?
i keep googlin an all i keep gettin is the same info "marijuana botany literature"
i knwo i need to clear this up and give it a definite closure to the hype before it drives me nuts sooner or later to say the least . lol

Triploid (3n) and tetraploid (4n) individuals have three or four sets of chromosomes
..not leaves.
What makes you think your plants have mulptiple sets of chromosomes?
you have tri-foliates not triploid..;)

o ok. whorled trifoliates not whorled polyploids.
thus the one wit four leaves would be termed tetrafoliate?
it was all the chromosome thing i kept misinterpreting for number of leaves then....
wow i feel like an indiot now. :eek:

so then how in teh hek does one determine how many chromosomes ya plant got. lol

so all this bein said an now thati understand it wat ya been tryin to basically pound into my head the whorled foliate thing is classified as wat then.
they just freaks ?

dont bail on me hick. :D your the only one so far whos been able to shed any real light on this for me so far.
i just wanna knwo wats teh reason for them or cause or watever is all im gettin at.
cuz up til now it been like sleepin wit women whom i never caught they names. lol

:aok: ..you got it!.. and I would "guess' tetra or quad-foliate :confused: :confused:
I don't have any idea "what" causes it. It 'is' considered a mutation I believe.

It 'is' considered a mutation I believe.
sweet!!!!! my girls are freaks.. lol
its all good. freaks have a place in life somewhere too i suppose. and i guess im the lucky one to get 3 of them. lol either way they better ern their keep an put out or get out... :laugh:
thanks again hick for helpin me sort out the confusion.

Latest posts

Back