Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rain rain go away come again another day. Can't remember such a wet spring. Only good thing is it has come slow and steady instead of downpours. But we have gotten so much the ground can't hold any more.

Wonder if my neighbors basement is flooding again. He is still working in the mess from the last storm. I told him he needed another sump pump.... He only laughed and said we will never get rain like this again.
Was that the ahole from across the street . The Vaxer?

That's what I'm using, but the concrete anchors use a 1/4" masonry bit, which doesn't stand up well to aggregate in these 96 year old basement walls.

My latest scheme involves making 10 gauge plates to mount the flanges to and anchoring the plates with fewer larger anchors.

Good idea, and maybe with a happy ending..................................
also IMHO a nice injection of a little PL 500 construction adhesive goes a long way.little dab in the hole . That stuff works well if you need to caulk a outside door of someone you no like ...

That's what I'm using, but the concrete anchors use a 1/4" masonry bit, which doesn't stand up well to aggregate in these 96 year old basement walls.

My latest scheme involves making 10 gauge plates to mount the flanges to and anchoring the plates with fewer larger anchors.

Good idea, and maybe with a happy ending..................................
Might I suggest a half inch bit and a lead anchor? They make small shanked ones.
What about using an old fashion drill chisel
I believe you're talking about a star drill. Spent the early part of my apprenticeship using one along with a three pound maul.
Quarter wave firestik CB antenna?

What about using an old fashion drill chisel
1/4" would be pretty small for a star bit, and more work than Moi is up for, given the alternatives like my hammer drill.
I would lend you my medium bosch hammer drill. I would lend you my big hammer drill but I cant lift it anymore !
You live near Port Jefferson lol?
Thanks, I most likely couldn't lift it either. My Milwaukee hammer drill works fine, it is the small 1/4" bits that don't stand up to the aggregate in the concrete for very long.
also IMHO a nice injection of a little PL 500 construction adhesive goes a long way.little dab in the hole . That stuff works well if you need to caulk a outside door of someone you no like ...
I mounted most of my industrial machinery to concrete using expansion bolts but have used epoxy anchors in some cases that called for higher loads capacity.

1685891457316.png

Might I suggest a half inch bit and a lead anchor? They make small shanked ones.

I believe you're talking about a star drill. Spent the early part of my apprenticeship using one along with a three pound maul.

Quarter wave firestik CB antenna?
Alas they didn't have any lead anchors at the hardware store, just expansion bolts, metal expansion inserts, and plastic inserts.

Alas they didn't have any lead anchors at the hardware store, just expansion bolts, metal expansion inserts, and plastic inserts.
A lot of people don't realize that concrete gets much harder as it ages. At 50 years, it's as hard as it's ever gonna get.
There was a tin knocker company that bid a contract to run some new duct work in a now torn down Smith Bridgemen's clothing store in Flint. That building had been around since Christ was a corporal. They had to cut through a 18" thick wall in the basement to run some duct work. They bid the job figuring that it would take three days for two men. A month later, the hole was done.
When the building was torn down many years later, the demo company brought in a huge crane with the biggest pear shaped wrecking ball on it that I'd ever seen. They smashed away with it for a week and only managed to knock off some of the stone facia. That old store died hard.

Latest posts

Back