Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tumblr_36f646075b9a5f5745367b2a10271c7b_e2be6f2e_540.jpg

I survived another New Years eve ...... Several people shot in the city last night. Only thing I shot was 9-ball while listening to outlaw country!!

I have been saving a dab of wax Big Sur gave me a long time ago.....smoked it last night.....smoking that and shooting pool don't go well together. All the balls were the same color. I think I had a good time though.

That will put tingles in your hands and feet. Anybody else get that when you climb?

I did until after I took up skydiving and then it went away.

@ GW...I am glad that is you dealing with tennant problems and not me! Sold my condos and cabin, now only have to worry about the place I live Just got to be to much work for me. The word tennant makes me break out in hives. Took the net proceeds and bought gold.....a lot less maintenance.

We're getting a little old for landlords too. Harder for me to fit into attics and crawl spaces to fix things and locally our commissioners have passed laws by where landlords have high liability and no rights. What will happen after we sell out, is that our tenants who have been with us long term will no longer be able to afford to live there and they won't be kept in any better condition, nor will responses to maintenance be as fast.

All landlords aren't big corporations seeking to fleece the renters, some are ma and pa's who treat tenants responsibly and what's left after insurance, water, garbage, maintenance, and excessive property taxes, is what ma and pa depend on for their income.

45F @ 87% RH, rain, and predicted to reach 52.

A riot declared downtown at 11:00 PM last night with fires set and windows broken.

Hot damn, I finished the rental on schedule and the tenant is now in control. I love it when a complex project comes together.

I also replaced the drain in the other duplex eaten out by acid drain cleaner without complication or incident.

Chinese food last night and a serious frustration trying to pick it up when they lost the order we called in two hours early to be for sure, for sure it would be ready and I wouldn't be standing around in a queue waiting for it. I showed up five minutes early and waited 25 minutes to get it, after a fruitless attempt at discussion with the cashier whose English was conveniently marginal.

So far 2021 has been stellar, and wishing all you masterful brothers and pulchritudinous sister women of wit and charm a healthy, joyous, and prosperous 2021!

Big, the spookiest Spyder incident I ever saw was downtown in Flint on the 11 story Metropolitan building. In the hot-assed summertime, I always headed for the roof to have lunch. Sitting on the edge, there was always an updraft that keep you as cool as you could get in the situation. One day, a glazer came over to me, mad as a wet hen, asking me if I was the one that nicked his rope. I told him I didn't. He really wanted to put the blame on me, so I walked over to see what he was crying about. Sure as heck, someone had cut half way through one of the Spyder's rope lines. Scared me, and I wasn't even the one that would have been on it. I asked him where his partner was. He said that he'd called in sick that day. I asked him if he was porking his partner's wife. His face turned WHITE. He walked away, and I never heard another thing about it.

I'll bet her English was better than your Mandarin! Glad the remodel went well for ya. What used to be fun to me has became a royal PITA.

It was actually a guy, one of the owners, whom has lived in Portland for at least 50 years and who plays dumb and mumbles when it suits his purposes.

For the sake of communication in an English speaking country, with English speaking customers, I personally believe English should be used, and likewise when in China, Mandarin those places in China where they understand it.

Big, the spookiest Spyder incident I ever saw was downtown in Flint on the 11 story Metropolitan building. In the hot-assed summertime, I always headed for the roof to have lunch. Sitting on the edge, there was always an updraft that keep you as cool as you could get in the situation. One day, a glazer came over to me, mad as a wet hen, asking me if I was the one that nicked his rope. I told him I didn't. He really wanted to put the blame on me, so I walked over to see what he was crying about. Sure as heck, someone had cut half way through one of the Spyder's rope lines. Scared me, and I wasn't even the one that would have been on it. I asked him where his partner was. He said that he'd called in sick that day. I asked him if he was porking his partner's wife. His face turned WHITE. He walked away, and I never heard another thing about it.

be sure yer sins will find you out

whenever it was my turn to ride the scaffold I walked all the way up to the rooftop , checked how it was tied off , checked every foot of my safety rope and then I tied it off

can you just imagine how stoopid it would be to trust the last guy who used it?

not me shaggy

saw an iron worker reach out to grab a beam and fell 21 floors on this job , a 52 story bank in downtown Tulsa in the 70’s...

worst part of the tragedy was his dad and brother were iron workers to and watched him fall

close the job down right away , send everyone home for a day , then back to work the next day

sure is quiet on the job for about a month

DA3D26D4-A235-49AE-9055-8F23348EC324.jpeg

Yep, once yer past the golden 30 foot mark, it just gives you a couple more seconds to figure out what you did wrong before you splat. Tallest fall I ever took was 23'. Ran clean off a scaffold due to a golden orb spider in a soffit that played peak a boo with me. Luckily, the plasters had ten yards of sand delivered the day before. Yep, that's right where my dumb ass landed.

Jan 1981 some laborers pulled some shores out from underneath me on the 9th floor over the elevator shaft , I fell head over heels 3 floors to the 6th down the elevator shaft landed flat on my back and broke it

was back on the job in 90 days to plant a tree on the 13 floor rooftop and finish up the job

Doubletree Hotel Tulsa

5C551D42-E78E-4C48-986A-63E92044DA29.jpeg

Yep, once yer past the golden 30 foot mark, it just gives you a couple more seconds to figure out what you did wrong before you splat. Tallest fall I ever took was 23'.

I survived a fall of over a hundred feet into an asphalt strip mine when I was a child. It was so scary deep that I couldn't stand and look over the edge, so scooted over on my butt to look over, and the bank gave way. I remember thinking on the way down, " So this is what is like to die. Not too bad because it will be quick."

Alas I made an black sand angel in the soft asphalt sand at the bottom instead, with the breath totally knocked out of me, but survived after what felt like an eternity making eek, eek, eek sounds trying to get my breath.

It gave me acrophobia so bad that I finally took up skydiving as an adult to overcome it.

What happened if you guys had to go to bathroom?

Depends on whose watching.

Night stoners. Hope you all have recovered from what you did to yourself last night.

My New Years Eve was the same as the day before, with the same bed time. Having grown up where there is a lot of lightening and thunder, I have no problem sleeping through the fireworks at midnight.

48F @ 83% RH, with rain and 14mph winds, predicted to reach 51F

Well, our local riots have pushed our limp wristed mayor over the edge and he is losing patience, stating that efforts to de-escalate and compromise with Antifa have failed to yield results he condemns the violent movement. That had to really hurt their feelings, so now maybe they will go somewhere less hostile for their debauchery.

Meanwhile the good news is that five (5) armed miscreants robbing a dispensary at gun point were caught after the police SWAT cordoned off a couple blocks about five blocks south and eight blocks east of here and sent warnings to our Neighborhood forum to stay inside and lock our doors. I don't know whether it was the same bunch that killed a dispensary employee in an armed robbery last week, but hopefully forensics will shed some light on that.

Meanwhile celebrations at the zoo have ended and recovery has begun:

Attachments

• Drunk under the front lawn.jpg
    Drunk under the front lawn.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Black bear.jpg
    Black bear.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Cinnamon bear.jpg
    Cinnamon bear.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Elephant.jpg