Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1618411028367.png

I Can See Clearly Now

51F @ 61% RH, gorgeous, and predicted to reach 79F.

Hee, hee, hee, I swung by FN Steinbart's yesterday and picked up a 6 gallon carboy, 15 lbs corn sugar, Turbo yeast, and some citric acid for making a batch of ethanol from scratch. I'm adding 15 lbs sugar to 5 gallons water, so should end up with around a gallon of 190 proof for about $7.00/L. If I was making drinking liquor, I would put in about half as much sugar, for about half the yield, but I'm going for maximum alcohol.

I also ordered fittings to assemble my vacuum cooking test sled and started working on building the vacuum pot out of a pressure cooker. I am still waiting for quotes from Wilcon on the thermocouple, but have the rest nailed down.

51F @ 61% RH, gorgeous, and predicted to reach 79F.

Hee, hee, hee, I swung by FN Steinbart's yesterday and picked up a 6 gallon carboy, 15 lbs corn sugar, Turbo yeast, and some citric acid for making a batch of ethanol from scratch. I'm adding 15 lbs sugar to 5 gallons water, so should end up with around a gallon of 190 proof for about $7.00/L. If I was making drinking liquor, I would put in about half as much sugar, for about half the yield, but I'm going for maximum alcohol.

I also ordered fittings to assemble my vacuum cooking test sled and started working on building the vacuum pot out of a pressure cooker. I am still waiting for quotes from Wilcon on the thermocouple, but have the rest nailed down.
Can you PM your blueprints?
Or should I say Gray prints lol, Morning

Snow detail first thing, then some gardening before hooking up with a friend from Boulder. Oh , forgot, Happy Fryday. Hopefully this is a good start to your weekend.

I used to look forward to watching sports on my weekends but it seems as if all sports teams now speak Chinese and I don't. I am actually used to it now plus I have forgotten what the "Agony of Defeat" feels like. If you are from Denver you know what I mean.....our sports teams suck and have for a long time.

Off to my duties.

Can you PM your blueprints? Or should I say Gray prints lol, Morning

Just working out of my head so far and building with mostly available chunks, but I'll share the prints when I wrap it up.

50F @ 57% RH, gorgeous, and predicted to reach 84F.

Another ho hum riot, one police shooting with unruly crowd interfering and one drive by shooting. Just another gorgeous day in Rip City!

Just working out of my head so far and building with mostly available chunks, but I'll share the prints when I wrap it up.

50F @ 57% RH, gorgeous, and predicted to reach 84F.

Another ho hum riot, one police shooting with unruly crowd interfering and one drive by shooting. Just another gorgeous day in Rip City!
Thanks would love to see it and maybe make something myself

Howdy all. Had an interesting walk today. The military was training new helicopter pilots how to pick up and do water drops for the upcoming fire season. They do this every year and me and Mrs Pute happened to be in the perfect spot to watch a pick up. One of the pilots was so close when he passed by I could see him waiving at me.

IMG_20210417_125545376.jpg

Beautiful walk as well. Not a breath of wind and.....well....nice setting. I have smoked many a bowl right here.

Got to 90F today.

Got visited by a rare type of sandhill cranes: Golden Sandhills

View attachment 271873

I've only ever seen this kind below -- they are fairly common around here. Enough to have "Sandhill Crane Crossing" signs. <-- TINS

View attachment 271874

we are in a sand crane migratory route and we see and hear them going north to Nebraska every year

in fact , we want to go to one of the Sandhill crane festivals in Nebraska one of these days.....600,000 cranes landing has got to be a site to see

5FAE285E-29E6-48A2-9886-9F0508E3849C.jpeg
B58165F6-B58D-488F-9B7F-506D9316D587.jpeg

Watch a stunning natural phenomenon when over 600,000 sandhill cranes land in Nebraska

Only in Nebraska, you can see one of nature's greatest shows. More than half of all the world's crane population gathers along the central Platte River to rest and get ready for the annual journey to their northern nesting grounds. An 80-mi (128-km) stretch of the Platte River hosts migrating cranes twice a year. The spring migration is generally more impressive to witness, while in the fall, cranes can only be seen briefly since they spend less time on stopovers. Cranes arrive in Nebraska starting from late February, and their peak numbers can be seen throughout March. By early April they head north to Alaska and Canada. Fall migration usually occurs between late October and late November when cranes head to their wintering grounds in Texas, Florida, and Mexico.

To see the largest number of cranes, visit Kearney, Nebraska, which is often called the Sandhill Crane Capital of the World. Grand Island and North Platte are also known to have impressive crane congregations. Bird-watching tours are available at all locations. The best way to experience the migration is to reserve a blind and get close to them on the sunrise. Rowe Sanctuary provides blinds to see cranes up close without disturbing them and take quality photos of the beautiful birds. Kearney also hosts the annual Audubon Nebraska’s Crane Festival to mark the migration season every March. It's a great occasion to learn about cranes, their habits, habitats, and conservation efforts.

One of the most amazing things that you can witness in Nebraska is the so-called crane dance when they bow to each other, flap their wings, and jump to attract the opposite sex. Sandhill cranes pair during their spring migration, and they stay with one partner for life. A peculiar call that sounds like "Karroo" is also associated with the cranes' mating rituals.

I have watched that dance in my back yard several times. Enchanting and elegant.

BTW: That pic of a jillion cranes is amazing. I never knew about that migration.

...And I just noticed: None of them were the brilliant-red head with the golden plumage. They were the maroon-head kind.

1618742628139.png

Here's a bunch of the "regular" kind in my back yard. Coincidentally, the pic of the golden cranes shows them to be in essentially the same place in my back yard. Different month. The yellow stripe points to a wild turkey. The turkey most ricky-tick did NOT like the cranes.

sandhill cranes.jpg

1618742414899.png

Latest posts

Back