Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my new airless impact driver, 1/2 inch drive so it should be easy to break the nuts this time.
1627156458440.png

tHE HUNT FOR WATER CONTINUES Have you the means to hire a sniffer dog, they say they can find a water leak LOL

Never heard of a water sniffer dog, but I'm back to the hunt this morning with a shovel....

In the fall the giant web weavers come out right around all saints days And the webs are so pretty

Those are the Golden Orb spiders that we have here.

I totally understand. I've ditched my bike and chased them off trails (pretty sure it was a black racer) dam it could move. Don't care for water snakes, very mean and I dont feel as in control of situation if I am in the water too. Caught one water snake, gigantic to me at time. maybe 13 or 14 yrs old and this thing was at least 4 ft. Diamond back water snake, looks just like a Cotton Mouth except head shape is different. I finally let it go. It never tamed in the least, holding it behind the head, it's mouth was always wide open! Spiders? I go all girly for some reason. Bubba

I've handled Diamond Back and Timber rattlesnakes, one copper head, and lots of King snakes, but never laid hands on a live water snake. The ones around home were ill tempered, so we just left them alone or shot them.

64F @ 74% RH, gorgeous, and predicted to reach 90F.

Breakfast out at the Cadillac Cafe with Grayfox and NM.

My plans to work on the sprinkler system got cut short by a flat on the Ford. By the time I got it fixed, it was too hot to work outside................. Back on it this morning.

GW you could cap all the heads on each zone as you isolate the leak
then pressurize that line after capping the heads and watch for water coming up out of ground or at least hear if the zone stopped using water as it it capped heads, may be easier than digging all the lines up.

GW you could cap all the heads on each zone as you isolate the leak
then pressurize that line after capping the heads and watch for water coming up out of ground or at least hear if the zone stopped using water as it it capped heads, may be easier than digging all the lines up.

The leak is ostensibly in a trunk line, vis a vis lateral with heads, unless the flow is through one of the electric valves that controls the laterals. If the leak was through one of the electric valve, I would have expected to seen some action from the heads when I pressurized the main trunk with water driven by compressed air.

The leak is not reaching the surface, even with compressed air, and the system was existing when I arrived in 1987, so I have no knowledge of where the underground piping is, beyond where the heads are and two of the three valve vaults are located.

I dug out the Circuit 1, 2, and 3 electric valve vault in the front yard and located the main trunk leaving it and installed an isolation valve, which stopped the flow, so the leak is further down the system.

I now also know the path and line that the trunk line ostensibly follows, and using a long bladed clam shovel, I checked spots along it for soggy spots, but found none and know there has to be one more (Circuit 4) valve somewhere that I can't find. The valves for Circuit 5 and 6 are located in the back yard, which is where the trunk line terminates.

I infer that the Circuit 4 vault got covered when the ground/weed cloth was put down, which is now covered with both 4" bark dust and 40 years of soil accumulation from decomposing bark dust. I also infer that they didn't zig zag the main trunk, so if I string a line from where I've exposed it, to where it turns the corner and heads down the side of our house toward the back yard valve vault, it should approximate its path, and I can look for the missing vault along that path.

Depending on where the vault is, I can also install another vault of my own with isolation valve to isolate the trunk to Circuits 5 and 6 vault, after it turns the corner at the front of the house. Once I have identified which side of that valve the leak is on, the search will be narrowed down significantly.

@Tattered Old Graywolf Hey now if you have Hunter heads use these caps (not sure how many heads you have on each zone I have 4) so I would need 4 caps for my zones, Using the zone control turn each one on at a time after cappin g said zone.
https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Pro-Spray-Shut-Off/dp/B00KRT2HEGView attachment 275855
View attachment 275856

With the leak ostensibly in the trunk, the heads are all isolated by their electric control valves.

The leak is ostensibly in a trunk line, vis a vis lateral with heads, unless the flow is through one of the electric valves that controls the laterals. If the leak was through one of the electric valve, I would have expected to seen some action from the heads when I pressurized the main trunk with water driven by compressed air.

The leak is not reaching the surface, even with compressed air, and the system was existing when I arrived in 1987, so I have no knowledge of where the underground piping is, beyond where the heads are and two of the three valve vaults are located.

I dug out the Circuit 1, 2, and 3 electric valve vault in the front yard and located the main trunk leaving it and installed an isolation valve, which stopped the flow, so the leak is further down the system.

I now also know the path and line that the trunk line ostensibly follows, and using a long bladed clam shovel, I checked spots along it for soggy spots, but found none and know there has to be one more (Circuit 4) valve somewhere that I can't find. The valves for Circuit 5 and 6 are located in the back yard, which is where the trunk line terminates.

I infer that the Circuit 4 vault got covered when the ground/weed cloth was put down, which is now covered with both 4" bark dust and 40 years of soil accumulation from decomposing bark dust. I also infer that they didn't zig zag the main trunk, so if I string a line from where I've exposed it, to where it turns the corner and heads down the side of our house toward the back yard valve vault, it should approximate its path, and I can look for the missing vault along that path.

Depending on where the vault is, I can also install another vault of my own with isolation valve to isolate the trunk to Circuits 5 and 6 vault, after it turns the corner at the front of the house. Once I have identified which side of that valve the leak is on, the search will be narrowed down significantly.

With the leak ostensibly in the trunk, the heads are all isolated by their electric control valves.
Man how big is your yard LOL
Good luck sounds like you will find it, I hope soon.

Man how big is your yard LOLGood luck sounds like you will find it, I hope soon.

It's a square corner lot, so has a side yard to irrigate as well, and there are heads on both sides of the sidewalks.

The front and side parking strips are two circuits of 8 heads each, and the lawn on the house side of the sidewalks , plus the ornamental gardens are another four circuits of 4 to 6 heads. The guy that installed it and the gardens was a groundskeeper for a local country club, so wasn't parsimonious with the heads.

GW I was just thinking Imagine you go through all this trouble shooting and find out that your system was not the problem and that it is in fact the water co meter is screwed?

The meter starts and stops when I turn the sprinkler circuit on and off, so little chance it is the meter.

@GW....I have watched you chase that ghost in your system for to long. I now feel it is necessary for me to chime in and solve your problem. It is a simple fix and I actually feel silly having to solve your problem for ya. If you don't mind my advise.....one word will do the trick. Are you ready....I can hardly stand the suspense. All you have to do is.......MOVE!!

Just got my faith in the younger generation reinstalled today. My cable box has not worked in a month. Called Commie-Cast, and they scheduled a service appointment for today. Told me I was expected to wear a mask while the tech was here and to remain 10 feet away from them at all times, and that if I refused to wear a mask, I was expected to not be in the same room. Yeah, right. Young fella (could be as young as late 20s to as old as mid 30s) showed up at my door, no booties and no mask. I told him I wasn't vaccinated and wasn't wearing a mask. He said he didn't have a problem with it as long as I didn't have a problem with him being the same.
Did a quick look at the equipment, swapped a few wires around, and figured out one of the HDMI wires had gone bad. Went out to his van and came back with two, replaced the one to the box and one to the sound bar and said that they "burn out" now and then. Didn't cost me a cent.
On his way out, he commented that he liked my flag. My brothers on here know exactly which flag he was talking about.

Latest posts

Back