Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely love black walnuts. We useta strew them in the long driveway at the farm. Cars would run over them and remove the inky husks; the shells were tough enough that cars running over them did not hurt them.

IIRC (this wuz 75 or more years ago) the time to gather dropped walnuts was right about now -- just after the first frost. The first frost would make the big tree just rain walnuts. <-- Hey... That is some dang obscure trivia that y'all are stuck knowing until yer dyin' days. You harvest black walnuts right after the first frost. <-- Try to forget it.

To open them: This is easier than folks make out. If you lookit a black walnut, you will see what looks like a "seam" that runs all the way around the nut from top to bottom (not equator). Put the seam on a flat rock and tap the part of the seam facing up with a hammer (gently) until it cracks. Then rotate and do it on the other side.

If you are pure in heart, the big sumbitch will open just right, and you get two enormous "turkeys" to munch on while you open the next one.

I haven't done this since the 1940's... Jeez, I'm old.
I have a black walnut tree in my back yard. My grandma use to get them out but it looked like a real pita to me. Also, she had black ink stains on her hands that lasted a week after doing so. I too love the taste of them in a cake and I think of her when I eat them. They are just collected in a pile at my house to try to keep them out of the lawnmower.

Good morning Island denizens! Hugz all around, let the Moon Day joy commence!
bigarmhug.gif
puffpuffpass_smilie.gif

A mostly clear day here starting at 36F and predicted to soar to 54F.

My appointment with a Physiatrist (not psychiatrist) to look for alternatives to surgery to remediate my lower back pain is this morning. Hope they can come up with something that works!
Good luck, TOG!

I have a black walnut tree in my back yard. My grandma use to get them out but it looked like a real pita to me. Also, she had black ink stains on her hands that lasted a week after doing so. I too love the taste of them in a cake and I think of her when I eat them. They are just collected in a pile at my house to try to keep them out of the lawnmower.
Choc chip cookies, brownies, and ice cream are my favorite uses for them.
But eating them right out of the shell is awesome, too.

Good Tuesday morning Islanders! Hugz to all and all hail Lord Tyr!
bigarmhug.gif
puffpuffpass_smilie.gif

Cloudy with late rain here, starting at 42F and predicted to reach 55F.

My appointment with the Physiatrist went well and she referred me to a pain clinic where they perform RFA (Radio Frequency Ablation) to kill the affected nerves so there is no pain signal. Hope it works!!

My tri-annual dentist appointment this morning to have my remaining toofs cleaned, and then breakfast out.

Tyr.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back