itsy bitsy tiny flys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grass hopper

Reaction score
a buddy of mine has what looks like fruit flys everywhere. he came to see my grow and now i have them also. they seem harmless, very small. fly fast, and are dark in color. are these ok?? thought about giiving a spray of DR. DOOM
THANKS as always :icon_smile:

I've had those flys when I've mixed in extra bonemeal into the soil. Think the flys land and lay their eggs while the amendment is in transit from supplier to resaler.

get a few fly strips and call it good as long as they are not adversely effecting your precious gals.

:peace:

7greeneyes said:
I've had those flys when I've mixed in extra bonemeal into the soil. Think the flys land and lay their eggs while the amendment is in transit from supplier to resaler.

get a few fly strips and call it good as long as they are not adversely effecting your precious gals.

:peace:

BETTER IDEA!! thanks!:D

You have a gnats I got mine from too much soy meal one time fly strips and diamatious earth will help controlled the problem

could be many
look up a picture of a gnat and (winged) aphid (i lean more to the prior, pretty common)
those are the main 2 black flying pests i know well.

*them yellow sticky traps work well to slow them down for identification ;)
:)

I've had eruptions of soil gnats a few times. I think at least one infestation came from using cheap Big Hardware Chain soil. I dunno what they do to the greenage but they get on my last nerve, so I bomb em with a pyrethrum fogger like Doktor Doom.

gnats infestation will get worse and hurt your grow if not dealt with. they are sucking on your plants after all... they are from the mosquito family so you can get gnatrol for larvae and spray mosquito pesticide for the flyers, remove dead leaves, keep soil surface dry you will not have this problem again.

If they are in the soil. They're fungus gnats, feeding on your roots and will adversely affect youre crop. Mosquito dunks crushed up and watered in will kill em dead.

HighBrixMMJ said:
If they are in the soil. They're fungus gnats, feeding on your roots and will adversely affect youre crop. Mosquito dunks crushed up and watered in will kill em dead.

these flys are so tiny. much smaller than the gnats we get in the spring. some people also call our gnats may flys. i know they are not true may flys that trout fisherman try and replicate.. i do believe they could be coming from the soil, ff ocean forest/ roots green light. just called htg in middle of writing this thread. THEY SAID "FUNGUS GNATS!! get some mosq. dunks"!!! GOOD CALL BUD!! :D :D

One thing you can do after u get rid of them is put a layer of perlite or sand 1/2-1" thick ontop of yer soil.
Pest tick me off. One thing I've gotten into. Is our hedges are infested with ladybugs. I send my boys out there to collect em up n toss em in my tent. If there is a problem they eat. If no bugs they die. Lol.
LH.

Yo Ho Ho N,

Several of you guys are right on the money with this.
The gnats do little harm to the plant, but it's the larvae that can really do the damage. They feed on the small hair sized roots of your ladies, and can inhibit growth. Should you have a small baby in there such as a clone you could find her in trouble.
A sure fire method of checking to see if you have the larvae is to stick a 1/2 inch thick piece of potatoe on top of the soil. check under the potato several hours later, and you will likely see the little larvae.

Diatomaceous Earth is your answer...

The stuff is simply the skeletal remains of diatoms that do a fierce number on the critters. It's been compared to a Samurai doing the slice and dice thing.

Chemicals are the thing to avoid. The Diatomaceous earth works within hours. It absorbs moisture fast and then tends to clump up. Makes for easy removal of the stuff.

Hope that this helps you guys.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:icon_smile:

when ever i see few gnats flying around i automatically make a does of H202 50 /50 mixed with water and spray my soi breaking up about 1 - 2 " of it getting it really soaked and fry them larvae
l then i sprinkle **** load of cinnamon on top of soil cut back on watering gnats love humid wet areas so water less keep humidity low as possible

^^^^thats a great method unless you're growing organically. You will kill beneficial microbes with peroxide. The diatomaceous earth is great for organics, I use a product called tanlin concentrate. It's a lil expensive, but I put a few drops in my water when they are small, clones or seedlings, and it's a sure fire preventative method to never developing fungus gnats at all. I had them once and the affected my harvest by a 2/3 loss. Out of eight plants I got 6 oz.'s. I was pissed. Those little suckers can do some damage.

i tried the mosquito dunks. i broke one up into tiny pieces and waited for them to sink. i was then going to divi up and apply next watering. it's been 3 weeks and the particles refuse to sink!! i'm afraid to apply now as there must be issues w/ this old water. i don't mind safe chemicals. i just want to kill them before into starting flower in a week or so. thanks!!

orangesunshine said:
You have a gnats I got mine from too much soy meal one time fly strips and diamatious earth will help controlled the problem

I agree with orange sunshine. DE is a good thing to always have on hand. It seriously helped when I had bug problems.

I use DE outside and around the back door. Inside, I just leave a few inches of crappy red wine in an open bottle in the grow area. So far it's worked for me.

Latest posts

Back