Just Can't Figure This Out Completely

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman2009

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have been trying to set up me a grow room and I have ordered some afghani seeds for my first try because I read so much about this strain and literally everyone said you could make a lot of mistakes but it was so tough it could survive anyway and God knows that is what i need for the first time. I should receive 10 seeds plus 20 free so I should have 30 to start with when they come. I have not been on this site very long but have had a lot of help already and do appreciate it. I am at at place where I do have a lot of plans but also some problems I don't seem to know how to solve. Please bear with me as it will take a while to let you understand exactly what is going on here. I am just an old(55) hippie/vietnam vet and I live alone in a small house in a very quiet neighborhood on a back street so security is pretty good to begin with thank God. A preacher lives next door however so I have to not let down my guard. I guess like anything else is I have some very good positives but also some negatives in trying to make my grow room. The positives are I have an old bedroom that is nothing but a ton of junk. i made it a junk room long ago. It was piled up over your head so I do mean a junk room which is definitely not all bad. There is a door to the bedroom/junkroom that stays closed at all times. In the fartherest corner in that junk room is a small widowless closet with no light fixtures or anything else. It is only 44"(3'8") wide and 25"(2'1") deep and 7'10" high. It comes to exactly 5.75 square feet so I am gonna just treat it like 6 square feet if that is ok. I have already put one coat of flat white paint on it which was already that but really marked up cause years ago it was my stepsons bedroom. the door is wood and brown in color so painting the inside of that was a must. I will put one more coat tomorrow and it will be the best I can do for that part. I have very much wanted to use the 12/12 from seedling Dutch technique which i am sure you non newbies know about. I am not sure if this is best for a start but it is very closely related to the SOG method which I really like. I will take in to consideration however any other ways you folks might wanna recommend as I have gardened for years as a regular vegetable farmer but have never tried this in any way. Now to the questions I don't understand. If I did the 12/12 or sog what kind of pots would i need and how many could i go with. The biggest problem is lighting and ventilation. I have no ventilation but I can at least put a fan running all the time in there I believe if I need to. It appears that I may be stuck with flourescent lights because of the heating problem. I also will have to use extension cords for the fan and lights because there is nothing in the closet for fixture. For certain reasons I cannot cut a hole in the roof or wall. It is just something that I cannot do regardless. If I could it would be a security problem for sure so I guess it is just as well for now anyway. Since I have a dark room already and then a closet with the door closed it will be easy to keep it dark as a moonless night which I understand is very good. I need someone to give me some ideas on what to do. I also understand this strain is extremely smelly so I do need to puta carbon filter in it too. I don't even know what that is so someone might tell me how i would need to do it. My plan is to try to grow 6 plants which no doubt will fill the room like sog before long I hear anyway. If I do 12/12 then I can cut the bottom leaves and stems off all the time and could use them to keep making plants. I could remove and harvest plants and keep some smaller ones getting started so maybe my 12/12 would work to some degree. That is about it so I will appreciate any help you can give me. I don't have my seeds yet and it takes a while for them to get here I know so I haven't been in any hurry. I haven't had anything to smoke in weeks but just today a buddy of mine said he had an oz for me tomorrow so I thought maybe there will be a few seeds in there. I could get an early start and try them if the stuff is decent which I am sure it is as my buddy me are ex army buddies. Sorry for the long wind but I just wanted to be clear as i could so I could get things moving and when I do get that tomorrow I can a least get my mojo back so I can think if you know what I mean. Thanks so much for what ever help you could assist me in...sandman2009

Hello Sandman :)

have you any idea how difficult it is to read all that without paragraphs?

Everything you mentioned is possible, your only concern is ventilation, there is a huge must for fresh intake and old out take of stale air, you MUST find a way round this problem.

If I were you I would forget the SOG and simply do a grow to get your basic fundamentals in place, your first grow will be like your experiment to make sure you can take plants to full harvest, the SOG and taking cuttings to replenish your plant stock can be done at another time.

Extention cable is your only option if your not electrically minded, just make sure your not drawing too many amps from the circuit.

Growing 12/12 from seed is often done, I know an Irish guy who does it often ;)

Use 1 gallon of soil per 1 foot of planned plant height, as your planning on going 12/12 from the start, 2 gallon pots will be plenty.

If you want 6 female plants, you will need to germinate double the amount of seeds because on average you have a 50/50 chance of getting males as well as females, if you end up with too many females then scrap whe weakest female plants.

As for your scrubber, look at this >> http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17337 and this >> http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11420

See how much easier it is to read paragraphs?

Welcome to the forum :)

:peace:

Yes a lot of people got on me about my writing so I started doing it correctly. I don't know where I learned that bad habbit. Anyway what you said makes sense. It is the first time someone didn't tell me to do something I couldn't do but tells me pretty much a way to do it. I totally appreciate that and in fact will do it just that way. Thanks so much. This gave me an opening to start.

hello sandman. welcome to the forum friend. i've not been growing indoors long myself. i've done four grows total so far, and am on a fifth. i don't have a proper set-up yet, but i am producing bud, and you can too.

i grow in a rubbermaid closet in soil. i am switching over to dwc for next grow.
alls i had was a 400w hps , some cfl lights, and several fans. i leave my doors cracked open with a fan blowing in all day during veg. i veg 4-5 weeks, and then go to 12/12, my dark cycle. i have grown some nice bud like this, but i know i can improve on my yield.

any questions you have, just ask. were all here to help each other. if you run into a problem, ask advice before the problem gets bad. most of all, tell no one, show no one, and always remember, have fun. good luck friend. look to see your grows...bb...

Latest posts

Back