Leaving town for 3 days......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growin_4_It

Grower in training
Reaction score
I have 2 grow rooms, (1 veg and 1 flower), that both have heat issues in the summer. I am a full time mom so I am here to babysit my girls regulary. I open the doors in the morning and close them at night. They are doing well.

My problem is that I am going out of town for 3 days and i wont be here to babysit and it isnt cool enough to leave the doors shut.

My question is....What would happen if I left the lights off for the 3 days I am gone???

Any ideas??

Thanks!

You're plants will probably hermi and stretch... MJ plants are designed to take abuse from light cycles.

could you put them in the outside sun?

why don't you get a timer for your lights and just leave the doors open.

Hi,

What kind of light are you using? And you ARE using a timer in your bloom room RIGHT? If you're turning it on and off manually and varying the amount of the night cycle by even a few minutes each day you could easily be stressing your girls really bad. And this stress could result in plants going hermie on you... If you're using a HPS, do you have any fluorescent lights? Or ANY other light you can put in there? Even a small CFL bulb or a Thomas Edison incandescent bulb will maintain your 12/12 without freaking your plants out but a fluoro is a much better choice. They sell small 2' T12 kitchen/shop fluoros pretty cheap at Home Depot, etc... It may get a bit warm in the closet but they won't cook... Don't forget to water thoroughly! ;)

Peace!:cool:

Yeah, what DOS said, put some fluorescent bulbs in there. That sounds like a great idea to me.

dirtyolsouth said:
Hi,

What kind of light are you using? And you ARE using a timer in your bloom room RIGHT? If you're turning it on and off manually and varying the amount of the night cycle by even a few minutes each day you could easily be stressing your girls really bad. And this stress could result in plants going hermie on you... If you're using a HPS, do you have any fluorescent lights? Or ANY other light you can put in there? Even a small CFL bulb or a Thomas Edison incandescent bulb will maintain your 12/12 without freaking your plants out but a fluoro is a much better choice. They sell small 2' T12 kitchen/shop fluoros pretty cheap at Home Depot, etc... It may get a bit warm in the closet but they won't cook... Don't forget to water thoroughly! ;)

Peace!:cool:

Yes both rooms have timers on the lights. 300 hps and one 2' fluoral for the bottom leaves set to 12/12 for the flower room and 18000 lumns flouros set for 18 hours in the veg room.

So your saying I could leave the hps off and just leave on the 2' fluoresent bulb for 3 days??
and
Maybe turn off one set of lights in the veg room?

frankcos said:
why don't you get a timer for your lights and just leave the doors open.

I have timers on the lights in both rooms...the problem is if I leave the doors open on the flower room then they still are exposed to the light from the veg room. I close the doors every night just before the timers shut off the lights to minimize the heat in there.

I know.....ventilation is needed....so is money and untill I get some I have to improvise. :D

Yup...

just use the fluoros and close the door... and using half the fluoros in the other closet won't hurt anything for a few days or leave them on and just leave the veg door open and the bloom door closed...

Bon Voyage!:cool:

Thanks again, DOS. Today I had to leave the house one and a half hours before lights out. I remembered your advice. I unplugged the HID, left the fluoros on, and closed the door.

Alistair Young said:
Thanks again, DOS. Today I had to leave the house one and a half hours before lights out. I remembered your advice. I unplugged the HID, left the fluoros on, and closed the door.

Cool Alistair... Fluoros can really come in handy dealing with temps... Due to stealth issues I like to run my ventilation at about 30% with a Speedster controller on my fan during lights out and at 100% when my HID is on to pull off the heat... My lights come on from 8pm-8am and sometimes on rare occasions when I can't be home right at 8pm I'll unplug the HID and just let the fluoros maintain the light schedule until I get home, kick up the ventilation to 100% and plug in the HPS. Now if they could just come up with a Speedster controller with digital control so it could be programmed to run the fan at different speeds for different times of the day.

Happy Growing!:cool:

dirtyolsouth said:
Yup...

just use the fluoros and close the door... and using half the fluoros in the other closet won't hurt anything for a few days or leave them on and just leave the veg door open and the bloom door closed...

PERFECT!!!

Thanks for your help!!! :D

dirtyolsouth said:
Yup...

It worked!!! :D :D :D

All the ladies made it happily!

Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back